Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Porth Saint, Anglesey, Wales  (Read 1621 times)

Alun

Porth Saint, Anglesey, Wales
« on: April 23, 2012, 03:27:08 am »

I'm starting to get to grips with the D800. This is a sunset from a small cove on Angelesey in Wales that I "found" using Google Earth, It was a pleasant surprise when I actually arrived there...

www.alunallcock.com
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 03:29:21 am by Alun »

Tony Jay

Re: Porth Saint, Anglesey, Wales
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 04:23:47 am »

Nice shots.

Good luck with your D800.
I am getting to grips with my 5DIII.

Regards

Tony Jay

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 07:28:18 pm »

It would appear you are getting the promised dynamic range from the D800. Would you mind commenting on the exposure situation for the first image? Are you finding greater DR?
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

Alun

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 01:51:47 am »

Yes Terry - quite frankly the D800 DR is amazing. This shot had no ND filtration as it would have been problematic because of the already large dark object on the right. There was a slight bit of clipping in the sun but that's OK for me. Togther with the great new controls in LR4, it makes bringing back the shadow areas a breeze and the D800 at 100 ISO is in no way a noisy camera in these areas.

I'm getting to grips with the cameras little ways and (I suppose like most cameras that use a JPEG for the histogram) find that the clipping shown in the rear LCD is VERY conservative.

I hope this helps
Alun

Enda Cavanagh

• http://www.endacavanagh.com
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2012, 06:09:39 am »

Hi Alun
I think the 2nd image looks a bit strange because the areas in shadow have the same brightness as the more exposed areas. Even the human eye would read a difference. You don't need to blacken them out but I think there definitely should be a difference especially as one reads that the sun isn't hidden behind clouds (even though it is the last light of the day :))

francois

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2012, 08:09:53 am »

I like both images but the first one is stunning....
Francois
Pages: [1]   Go Up