Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Camera Clubs  (Read 23097 times)

KevinA

• Tree Without a Bird
Camera Clubs
« on: April 16, 2012, 12:16:32 pm »

I'm just curious, do people go to camera clubs anymore.
When I was about 10 years old I joined a club, yes it was full of boring 'ol farts, but they did know a thing or two. There was a huge amount of skill and passion amongst the members.
Plus you would get hands on demos of lighting etc and firsthand guidance. A good club would have expert speakers come to give talks throughout the year and excursion to interesting places. I fear these days people think youtube and the like is a substitute for learning from those that know and can do firsthand. The chance to ask questions is much better than copying a youtube demo.
Plus there was always the competitions between members and other clubs, it would often give you a focus and reason to shoot. You most likely would encounter constructive criticism, mostly opinions were expressed more politely than internet forums.
I seriously would suggest to anyone starting out with photography as a hobby to find a decent lively Camera Club, I always enjoyed it all those years ago, I'm sure new members would be welcomed with open arms.

Kevin.
Kevin.

JonathanRimmel

• jonathanrimmel.com
Re: Camera Clubs
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 12:34:42 pm »

I think camera clubs still hold a great deal of value. It would be great to have one in my home town. I know we have enough photographers to make it worthwhile. Hands on is generally the best way of learning. Though I still like to watch YouTube videos first then go out and practice.

Fips

• some unrelated photos on flickr
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 12:44:07 pm »

Actually, just out of curiosity I started looking for camera clubs in my area - on the internet. Couldn't find a single one with something a decent homepage which i) contained any valuable information, ii) showed actual photos, or iii) didn't look like it was programed and last time updated in the mid-90s. So in fact, it does look like the few remaining camera clubs - at least in my area - are run by boring ol' farts.

louoates

• Lou Oates Photography
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 01:45:55 pm »

I first joined a camera club in Chicago in the 1960's when everyone did their own darkroom thing. So most of the discussions were very technical in nature about chemistry and equipment. Competition was very formal with judges brought in from other clubs. Favorable judging was always given to strict traditional values of composition and presentation. Any work submitted that varied from those norms were always downgraded. Work for competitions became very repetitive and boring. Other clubs I joined since then were as much a social gathering, coffee and donuts, as enlightening photographically. I find it much more exciting to follow what's new here on Luminous and join in lively discussions.

Gordon Buck

• LightDescription
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 09:56:18 pm »

We have a nice photo club here in Baton Rouge, http://www.laphotosociety.com/
Gordon
 [url=http://lightdescription.blog

KevinA

• Tree Without a Bird
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 06:01:23 am »

Actually, just out of curiosity I started looking for camera clubs in my area - on the internet. Couldn't find a single one with something a decent homepage which i) contained any valuable information, ii) showed actual photos, or iii) didn't look like it was programed and last time updated in the mid-90s. So in fact, it does look like the few remaining camera clubs - at least in my area - are run by boring ol' farts.
Don't under estimate the value of boring 'ol farts! (bloody hell at 54 i'm in that category now) I know my father-in law is in his 80's has eyesight problems but he still helps newbies at his camera club. It's a good platform to learn some basics, so what if the portrait evenings follow the same old lighting setup. If you are new to it and it's your first hands-on that's just what you need.
Film is having a resurgence at the moment, if any are thinking of giving it ago those boring 'ol farts will be invaluable. Jobo are about to start making processors again!
Computers and online are fine but very insular, it's good to mix with the good and bad eye to eye shoulder to shoulder.
If I stopped making a living from photography I would happily join a club again, I would ditch all my digital for sure and just shoot film and wet print.

Kevin.
Kevin.

Fips

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2012, 07:49:54 am »

Sure. I didn't mean to imply that ol' farts knowledge is useless. In fact, for the exact reasons you are mentioning I started looking for a club. However, if a camera club is not present at all on these newfangled internets, how do they expect to acquire new members these days?

walter.sk

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2012, 05:36:01 pm »

Sure. I didn't mean to imply that ol' farts knowledge is useless.
At least we only smell when we fart.  And I'm glad that you can find something of ours to use.  But your attitude stinks all the time, and I don't think there is any place for it on this forum, and probably not at the photoclub, either.

Fips

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2012, 05:55:03 pm »

What exactly is wrong with my attitude in your opinion? If you really feel so offended by me all the time, that you ask me to leave this forum, then I am really shocked. Maybe it's because English is not my mother tounge, but I tried to point out that I would really like to learn from people with more experience.

walter.sk

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2012, 02:57:03 pm »

What exactly is wrong with my attitude ...? ...I tried to point out that I would really like to learn from people with more experience.

Why would you call people that you would really like to learn from "old farts?"  What is wrong with your attitude is the disdain you show for people with gray hair.  The attitude stinks because even though you think we are old farts, you want to use us to your benefit.

I'm 71 years of age and perhaps I should not be offended by your reference to old farts.  Perhaps I should just expect it from you.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 03:01:44 pm by walter.sk »

Fips

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2012, 03:21:44 pm »

First of all, it was Kevin who introduced the term "old farts" in this discussion and so far everybody else seems to have taken it no very seriously. Then, I certainly don't show a disdain for people with gray hair. Hell, my parents aren't much younger than you are! Sorry, but to insinuate that I don't respect people with grey hair from what I have posted on this forum so far is utter nonsense. I'm well aware that most contributors on this forum - including Michael and Jess - are much older than me. Why would I have come here in the first place?
I thought I made it clear with my last reply that I would really like to learn some old-school techniques because I admire the skills of experienced -- read 'old' if you will -- photographers.

KevinA

• Tree Without a Bird
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2012, 04:00:12 am »

[quote author link=topic=65854.msg521710#msg521710 date=1334699703]
What exactly is wrong with my attitude in your opinion? If you really feel so offended by me all the time, that you ask me to leave this forum, then I am really shocked. Maybe it's because English is not my mother tounge, but I tried to point out that I would really like to learn from people with more experience.
[/quote
Nothing wrong with your attitude that I can see and I'm a boring ol' fart. I could send you to sleep with why I think the TLR Rolleiflex is the best canera ever made. :-))
The problem  with internet forums is you don't know what tone of voice a post is writen in or what tone of voice anyone will read it in. Which is another example of why going to meet people with a common interest face to face is better than doing it alone at home (I'm still talking about camera clubs).
Good luck with your search for a club.

Kevin.
Kevin.

KevinA

• Tree Without a Bird
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2012, 04:05:34 am »

Why would you call people that you would really like to learn from "old farts?"  What is wrong with your attitude is the disdain you show for people with gray hair.  The attitude stinks because even though you think we are old farts, you want to use us to your benefit.

I'm 71 years of age and perhaps I should not be offended by your reference to old farts.  Perhaps I should just expect it from you.
Steady on Walter, he is just using a bit of banter. My Dad 92 would laugh his head off if you called him a boring Ol" fart.
Keep it friendly.

Kevin.
Kevin.

Peter Mellis

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2012, 09:30:59 am »

Several years ago I joined a local camera club thinking that it might be a motivator for me, as I tend to go through periods where my interest in creating pictures has dissolved. Unfortunately, it turned out to be an environment that was not useful for me; the main (endless focus) was on competitions, a pastime that I have no interest in. I had no intention of going on field trips, if only because I don't want to be part of a group of people with cameras jockeying around for "the best shot". The quality of the presentations that I attended was pretty spotty, so that had limited value. Bottom line is that it didn't work for me, but most of the members seemed pretty pleased and involved. As is often said on LL, "horses for courses".

Tom Frerichs

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2012, 01:58:04 pm »

Nothing wrong with your attitude that I can see and I'm a boring ol' fart. I could send you to sleep with why I think the TLR Rolleiflex is the best canera ever made. :-))
The problem  with internet forums is you don't know what tone of voice a post is writen in or what tone of voice anyone will read it in. Which is another example of why going to meet people with a common interest face to face is better than doing it alone at home (I'm still talking about camera clubs).
Good luck with your search for a club.

Kevin.
+1...except it is the KoniOmegaflex TLR that takes the honors in that category.  :D

Tom Frerichs

Keith Reeder

• Capture The Moment
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2012, 11:57:43 am »

Calm down, Walter - whatever insult you imagine has been directed at you, it ain't really there.
Keith Reeder
Blyth, NE England

Riaan van Wyk

« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2012, 12:45:45 pm »

..Unfortunately, it turned out to be an environment that was not useful for me; the main (endless focus) was on competitions, a pastime that I have no interest in. I had no intention of going on field trips, if only because I don't want to be part of a group of people with cameras jockeying around for "the best shot"..

I found the same at my one, only and last attempt at joining a club.

walter.sk

« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2012, 04:32:56 pm »

Calm down, Walter - whatever insult you imagine has been directed at you, it ain't really there.

I don't imagine anything was directed at me personally.  However you can't deny that the OP and the first responder referenced the older people with something of a negative stereotype, unless it was meant as a term of respect or endearment.  But denying that calling older people "old farts" has negative implications is a bit of a stretch.

I am also quite calm.

William Walker

• William Walker Landscapes
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2012, 06:29:32 am »

I am also quite calm.

...and you certainly aren't boring!  ;D

William
"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." Christopher Hitchens

Mcthecat

• mickwatsonphotography
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2012, 06:13:30 pm »

Camera clubs are excellent. They are friendly (mostly) and are a great way of seeing other peoples stuff and learning a lot. Just be wary of entering competitions. Once you go down that road it opens up a big can of worms. Just remember, its only one persons views, such views vary a great deal, theres good and bad views some excellent and supportive, some very uninformed and plain wrong. Dont get upset if you do poorly or get someone explaining your picture which is so wrong its laughable (oops i sound like thats happened to me) just take it on the chin and learn. Oh and dont assume the person making comment knows more than you about photography because they have taken pics for the last 1 billion years or have a letter after their name. They may know more they may not. Its a lottery.

I love my camera club. But why so many bald people? lol.

Mick
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up