Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why is Adobe Standard the only Profile available?  (Read 3306 times)

jljonathan

Why is Adobe Standard the only Profile available?
« on: April 16, 2012, 12:48:56 am »

I have just started using a Sony Nex 7 and when I import into LR4.1 the lens profile is correct for the camera and lens, but the only Profile that  appears in the Camera Calibration module is Adobe Standard. When I use my Canon camera I at least get ACR 4.4 and 4.3 besides the Canon profiles. Why don't I get the ACR profiles for the Sony?

deejjjaaaa

Re: Why is Adobe Standard the only Profile available?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 01:08:38 am »

I have just started using a Sony Nex 7 and when I import into LR4.1 the lens profile is correct for the camera and lens, but the only Profile that  appears in the Camera Calibration module is Adobe Standard. When I use my Canon camera I at least get ACR 4.4 and 4.3 besides the Canon profiles. Why don't I get the ACR profiles for the Sony?

because Adobe supplies you w/ only one profile for your Sony camera and it just has such standard name (it is the same name that Adobe uses for different cameras currently, when one profile is supplied, ACR4.3, etc are the legacy profiles - NEX7 is too new to have those) = "Adobe Standard"... two different cameras might have the same profile name - "Adobe Standard", but profiles are in fact different (albeit some manufacturers, like PhaseOne, were known to simply duplicate the profiles, for CaptureOne, just replacing the camera names - no relationship to ACR/LR and Adobe's profiles).

jljonathan

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 01:50:32 pm »

So, for the Nex 7, Adobe Standard is the only available profile? Is there a way to use ACR 4.4 or any others with it?

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 01:55:37 pm »

Is there a way to use ACR 4.4 or any others with it?

No...and you really don't want to. The older profiles listed in some of the older cameras indicate the first version of Camera Raw that supported that camera. If there are two numbers that means the profile was revised later. But those were the older non-DNG Profile calibrations and not as good as the current Adobe Standard for your camera.

Some cameras have "vendor matching" profiles (mainly only Nikon & Canon) that replicate the color settings on-camera. If your camera only has Adobe Standard as an option it means that's the only profile that has been made. As Eric has indicated, you can use the DNG Profile Editor to make/modify your own...

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 11:46:30 am »

So, for the Nex 7, Adobe Standard is the only available profile? Is there a way to use ACR 4.4 or any others with it?

Until Adobe comes up with profiles that emulate Sony's in camera processed JPEG profiles that is the only one currently available it seems.

But (and it is a big hiney) if you have a recent ( preferably  24 months old or less, and in good condition) Xrite 24 patch Color Checker target or Color Checker Passport target set you can create camera specific profiles using either Adobe's DNG Profile Editor (http://labs.adobe.com/wiki/index.php/DNG_Profiles ) or Xrite's ColorChecker Passport software ( http://xritephoto.com/ph_product_overview.aspx?ID=1257&action=support ).

Both are free and straightforward in use, just follow the directions. Whether you like the results from one over the other is up to you. I will leave the technical arguments for one over the other to the usual suspects.

The Adobe Standard profile 2012 is really good.  Like Jeff I see no good reason to want to go backward to a cruder less evolved stage.
Pages: [1]   Go Up