Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: ACR7 CS6  (Read 22331 times)

Ben Rubinstein

Re: ACR7 CS6
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2012, 08:46:10 am »

You can't see the desaturation in the highlights? Really? It's not grey but the colour just isn't there in the 2012 version, it's disappearing in the highlight zones.

John R Smith

• Still crazy, after all these years
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2012, 05:52:16 am »

Ben

My (admittedly limited) experience with PV 2012 so far suggests to me that the new PV is applying far too much highlight compression as part of the standard import profile. For a lot of images this amount of recovery is excessive, and I have observed (compared with 2010) not so much de-saturation, as you have, but odd hue shifts in the highlight areas. As I work mostly in B/W the colour anomalies are not of great importance, but I find that PV 2012 by default takes a great deal of the "pop" out of my monochrome images, and I find myself having to put it back in by boosting whites.

I would prefer a more linear import profile like PV 2010, and then have the option to use the undoubtedly more sophisticated highlighty recovery of 2012 if I so wish.

John
Hasselblad 500 C/M, SWC and CFV-39 DB
an

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2012, 07:31:13 pm »

You can always "stretch out" the highlight end (for added highlight contrast) using either the Whites slider or Point Curve (the latter for more control).
Eric Chan

Ben Rubinstein

« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2012, 10:45:04 am »

It's not the highlight contrast, it's the desaturation in the highlights that's the problem. Looks like the old recovery tool but now you can't turn it off. Tried the new ACR 7.1 RC, same problem. You can't even set Process 2010 as default. Sorry Adobe, won't be buying CS6 for myself or for the studio computers. To be honest I'd be tempted still if Leaf compressed raw files were supported but they aren't. The Bridge search function is still a joke. I was going to get LR for cataloging metadata which it does very very nicely but it doesn't recognise the Leaf files so I'm forced to buy the far less friendly Media Pro.

Honestly I'm sorry, I really like the new ACR's way of working, I much prefer LR and bridge for metadata entry and LR for the cataloguing, I have the ok from management for the purchase of CS6 and LR4 across the computers. I really wish I could...
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 11:45:11 am by Ben Rubinstein »

Tim Lookingbill

« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2012, 05:28:06 pm »

Here's a screenshot from my calibrated display showing the differences. To me I'm seeing the common hue shift toward yellow from applying a curve tweak where the highlight "shiny" portion of skin resides.

I viewed the psd file in CS5 and CS3 and got the same results.

Oops! Didn't realize this was an old thread. Still not sure why no one offered a screenshot from their own systems?

Or is this one of those "Don't download files from people you don't know" security issues mentioned in that other thread?

« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 05:33:35 pm by tlooknbill »
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up