Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wax Coating Inkjet Prints  (Read 23707 times)

PatrickAllen

Wax Coating Inkjet Prints
« on: April 09, 2012, 03:50:03 pm »

At Ken Allen Studios we are continuing to experiment with coating inkjet prints to protect them from surface abrasions. In particular are the fine art semi-gloss papers that can seemingly scratch if you look at them the wrong way. Current protection methods include lamination and spray varnishes but these have drawbacks of there own and do not work well with all paper surfaces. Typically smooth gloss papers work best for lamination and matte papers work best with the spray varnishes, hence trying to find a solution for the fine art semi-gloss papers. Of course the best protection is done by framing the print behind glass or acrylic but sometimes this is not desired and there can also be a lot of handling between the print coming off the printer and having it safely installed behind glass.

We have been experimenting using renaissance wax to coat inkjet prints and have been quite pleased with the results. We have seen beeswax used on inkjet prints to build texture but we really wanted a wax and application method that would provide protection while also being imperceptible, with little to no shift in the color and tone of the original print.

It is important that the prints be allowed to cure for at least 24 hrs. before applying wax or any other coatings. The wax is buffed on by hand using a soft cloth in a small circular motion.  It helps to have some raking light on the print so you can ensure you have applied the wax evenly, which takes less then 5 mins. for a 20×24 in. print. If done correctly you will not see the difference between a section that has been coated and an uncoated section. Actually the only way we can really tell is by sliding a fingernail across the surface; It glides across the wax coated section and drags and scratches pigment across the section with no wax. It clearly provides some surface protection especially from those hairline scratches. A scratch might make an indentation in the wax but this can be buffed out and its better then damaging the actual pigment.

The wax is practically imperceptible, offers scratch resistance, and additionally reduces bronzing. Also, while the coating is barely perceptible there is one area where a beneficial shift can be seen; By coating a large section of black one can see the waxed blacks read slightly richer to the eye then the unwaxed.

This observation of the blacks is echoed in an analysis done by Eric Chan, a color scientist, who we sent coated and uncoated targets to. “Each attached image is an L* slice (lightness slice). On the right side is a comparison of the color gamut for the uncoated (red) vs Renaissance Wax coated (green). In the very lightest tones (high L*) you can see that the uncoated has a slighter larger color range. Over most of the rest of the range, though (esp. darker tones), the coated version has the more extended range. In the middle lightness range, there is a wider green gamut from the coated targets. Gamut extension is increased in most hues in the darker tones.” It is important to note that while these shifts can be detected by equipment they are not really perceivable to the human eye except for a slight extension in the darker tones.

We have successfully applied renaissance wax to several semi-gloss papers including Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Baryta, Harman Gloss Baryta, Innova Warm Cotton Gloss, and Ilford Smooth Pearl. It does not apply well to matte papers or at least not with the application method we are using. In a more extended test, we have a print that we coated 2 years ago and it shows no signs of yellowing or other side effects that would be caused by the application of the renaissance wax. In conclusion, the benefits include: time and ease of application, increased surface protection, little perceivable shift in color and tone, reduced bronzing, and more extended range in darker tones while the main drawback is that it does not provide UV protection. For those photographers, artists, and printers looking for additional protection of their semi-gloss papers you may want to give the renaissance wax a try.

Best,
Patrick Allen
www.KenAllenStudios.com
www.PatrickAllenPhotography.com

MHMG

Re: Wax Coating Inkjet Prints
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 04:06:43 pm »

In conclusion, the benefits include: time and ease of application, increased surface protection, little perceivable shift in color and tone, reduced bronzing, and more extended range in darker tones while the main drawback is that it does not provide UV protection. For those photographers, artists, and printers looking for additional protection of their semi-gloss papers you may want to give the renaissance wax a try.

I'm not aware of any laboratory test results or extended real-world anecdotal longevity data for renaissance wax applied to aqueous-based inkjet prints. Lack of UV protection may very well be a big understatement in some cases. There may be other long term compatibility issues. It's an area or research ripe for some scholarly work to be done on this topic, but no media manufacturer is likely to fund it. In the meantime, opinions are much easier to come by than facts. Also, in some application tests I have done with Renaissance wax, initial media whitepoint on some papers can be adversely affected. One should perform some simple compatibility tests on the chosen media before committing a valuable print to this wax application.

best,
Mark
http://www.aardenburg-imaging.com

tmphoto

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 04:23:52 pm »

In conclusion, the benefits include: time and ease of application, increased surface protection, little perceivable shift in color and tone, reduced bronzing, and more extended range in darker tones while the main drawback is that it does not provide UV protection. For those photographers, artists, and printers looking for additional protection of their semi-gloss papers you may want to give the renaissance wax a try.

What is the cost per SQF of applied coat.

PatrickAllen

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 04:54:31 pm »

Mark,
You are right that there has been no laboratory test results done to show the long-term issues that might arise. All we really have are a few prints that we coated several years ago that show no adverse affects to the human eye and I am not claiming I know what will happen in 10, 20, 50 years. I would love to see some scientific studies done to determine more specific aging consequences but I think this is pretty unlikely as well. Can you do this testing at Aardenburg?

My findings are just my opinion of some pretty basic experimenting but I was happy with what I observed. Of course you don't want to start applying wax to one of a kind prints without doing your own testing but if anybody is interested in the process I suggested the papers that I found it worked well on using both Canon and Epson inks. One application I was thinking it could work well with is for a portfolio box where the prints will be handled a lot but are not necessarily of extremely hi value. All in all it does not provide nearly as much protection as a lascaux acrylic varnish which also provides UV protection but I could see it proving useful it certain applications or after more testing is done.

tm,
I do not have this exact calculation. While the renaissance wax itself is fairly expensive, around $30 for 200ml, the amount used is so little that you could coat a lot of sqft. with it.

MHMG

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 06:39:28 pm »

Mark,
I would love to see some scientific studies done to determine more specific aging consequences but I think this is pretty unlikely as well. Can you do this testing at Aardenburg?

I can do light fade testing for sure, with emphasis on direct paired comparison tests (coated versus uncoated), and also real-world monitoring of print colors over time. I actually purchased some renaissance wax several months ago to get these studies underway, but my research funds are very limited, and I haven't been able to start these studies yet. That said, the product intrigues me for use with inkjet prints, and it has a good track record in the museum community for protecting both wood and metal surfaces. There is merit here. It would indeed be good to learn more about its compatibility with inkjet inks and media.

mark,
http://www.aardenburg-imaging.com
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 06:53:36 pm by MHMG »

artobest

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2012, 01:32:07 pm »

Hmm, this might be one answer to some issues I have with scratch protection in certain circumstamces. Thanks!

ZoranC

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2012, 08:39:10 pm »

Is this the wax you are talking about?

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2012, 03:34:55 am »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renaissance_Wax

UK made, it has been used by more printmakers. Like ten years ago, so there should be some experience in aging:

http://dchs.spinics.net/lists/epson/old/2000_02/msg08611.html

wax has been discussed here too:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=51607.25;wap2

--
Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

Dinkla Grafische Techniek
Quad,piëzografie,giclée
www.pigment-print.com

« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 03:44:28 am by Ernst Dinkla »

PatrickAllen

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2012, 11:56:14 am »

Zoran,
Yes that is the wax we are referring to. I should note that even after the paper cures some ink did show up on the white cloth that was used to buff the polish on, so do not be shocked when this happens. It does not smear or affect visible image quality.
Best,
Patrick

ZoranC

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2012, 07:56:39 pm »

Zoran,
Yes that is the wax we are referring to. I should note that even after the paper cures some ink did show up on the white cloth that was used to buff the polish on, so do not be shocked when this happens. It does not smear or affect visible image quality.

Thank you!

enduser

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2012, 09:00:40 pm »

Found this info on a resellers page:

Renaissance wax polish was originally formulated in the British Museum research laboratories in the early 1950's, in response to a discussion amongst museum technicians at an international conference on fine-art conservation.

In accelerated ageing tests, the British Museum scientist found that all current commercial waxes based on the usual natural waxes (beeswax and carnauba wax) contained acids which, in time, could spoil original finishes on national historic collections of furniture. They rejected them all and investigated the new so-called ‘fossil’ or microcrystalline waxes being refined out of crude oil. With their distinct characteristics depending on their geographical origins, the new '‘man-made’ waxes could be accurately blended to meet the needs of many industries, from cosmetics and pharmaceuticals to heavy engineering. Thus, the waxes combined Nature's best qualities with the advantages of modern technology.

The blend which emerged from that research was ‘designed’ for long term protection of all classes of museum exhibits. At last museum technicians and others caring for important collections could use wax polish that neither caused future conservation problems nor detracted from the intrinsic values of their treasures.

Commercial production and distribution of the polish was ultimately undertaken in 1968 by the London-based company Picreator Enterprises Ltd. under its trade name ‘Renaissance’. The product was quickly accepted in the international museum world and has become a universally respected standard conservation material - probably the most widely specified - because of its almost unlimited uses.

Tony Jay

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2012, 11:21:01 pm »

I have been following this thread with some interest.

I print mainly with Canson Baryta Photographique on an Epson Pro 7900. In the eyes of some this paper is indistinguishable from Ilford Gold Fibre Silk.
I have been considering the pros and cons of some sort of coating to protect prints.
This thread has opened up some interesting possibilities but no done and dusted solutions.

Regards

Tony Jay

datro

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2012, 09:22:18 am »

Zoran,
Best,
Patrick

Yes, I noticed the same thing...some ink will be removed, but it does not seem to affect the quality of the image.  I have successfully used Rennaissance wax on the Harman Gloss Baryta (which I use extensively for my B&W prints) and it actually seems to improve the overall depth of the image.  In one case, I was able to save a print which had been slightly scratched; the wax smoothed it out and made the scratches essentially invisible.

You do have to be careful...don't rub too hard, and don't over do it.  It doesn't take much of the wax to get the coating right.  The one thing which I didn't like is that initially you will have a strong petroleum smell, but this dissipates fairly quickly.  You will need to let the print breath for at least a day before mounting/framing.

Dave

Brian Gilkes

• http://www.briangilkes.com.au
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2012, 05:30:40 pm »

It could be worth a try using a light coat of spray, eg Premier Art Print Shield or the Hahnemuhle equivalent, then coating with wax. This could fix UV question and slow ink removal. That gamut increase in the dark areas should be visible . I may do some work here .
Cheers,
Brian
Pharos Editions

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2012, 04:25:47 am »

It could be worth a try using a light coat of spray, eg Premier Art Print Shield or the Hahnemuhle equivalent, then coating with wax. This could fix UV question and slow ink removal. That gamut increase in the dark areas should be visible . I may do some work here .
Cheers,
Brian
Pharos Editions

The UV filtering of sprays like Premier Art Shield is probably minimal, the layer thickness not enough to create an effective UV-cut filter. The measured effects in fading are more likely the result of a gas (oxygen-ozone) barrier created by the varnish. Which raises the question whether waxes can create a similar gas barrier. The interlinking of solvent based acrylic varnishes like Premier Art Shield is already better than possible with acrylic dispersions and by that the gas blocking. How would a less solid coating like wax behave. Wax is however used in packaging as a barrier against moist, oxygen and more so could have similar barrier qualities. Apples are covered with wax for the same reason.

When I experimented with wax on baryte type papers I first removed a haze with a cloth before applying the wax. That already transferred some ink color to the cloth  but I had to do that as applying a wax or a varnish directly did not remove the haze.

--

340+ paper white spectral plots:
http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
update april 2012: Harman by Hahnemühle, Innova IFA45 and more

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2012, 09:11:49 pm »

Is it necessary to use a microfiber cloth, or will a plain cotton cloth suffice to apply the wax without damaging the surface of the print?
-Ron H.
[url=http://colorwaveimaging.com

PatrickAllen

« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2012, 10:24:11 am »

A plain cotton cloth will work, but I would still test a small image before doing something larger so you can get a feel for it. As Datro mentioned it does not take a lot of wax or pressure to get it right.
Best,
Patrick

Brian Gilkes

• http://www.briangilkes.com.au
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2012, 09:31:50 am »

Thanks Ernst for those comments. I had wondered how such a thin layer could restrict UV. Very interesting.
Now about this haze. I assume it appears under the unpolished wax. What is it?
Cheers,
Brian

PatrickAllen

« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2012, 09:45:47 am »

Ernst. That is an interesting theory that the barrier alone is creating UV protection. I too was confused by the haze you were referring to. Could you clarify?

Best,
Patrick

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2012, 11:39:48 am »

Thanks Ernst for those comments. I had wondered how such a thin layer could restrict UV. Very interesting.
Now about this haze. I assume it appears under the unpolished wax. What is it?
Cheers,
Brian

With my HP Zs I had it on the HP Baryta Satin Fine Art 290 gsm. One would expect more compatibility with that paper.  It reduces Dmax etc. I have to polish the paper with a dry cloth before applying a wax or varnish. I do not see similar haze on RC gloss papers. What it is, I do not know. Neil Snape reported it a long time ago and there have been more indications. The paper is no longer available I think.

http://tech.dir.groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/message/2123

Patrick,

I did not write that a UV barrier is created. Premier etc refer to UV protection in the varnish but I have my doubts and so does Mark McCormick. An oxygen-ozone barrier is most likely created with the Premier etc sprays and that explains the good results seen in Wilhelm and Aardenburg testing. I think wax coating may give similar gas barrier protection and will fail on UV filtering too if spread thin and polished. Like Deng said: I don't care if it's a white cat or a black cat. It's a good cat as long as it catches mice.

--

340+ paper white spectral plots:
http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
update april 2012: Harman by Hahnemühle, Innova IFA45 and more

Pages: [1]   Go Up