Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why is saturation worse in i1profiler?  (Read 5736 times)

narikin

Why is saturation worse in i1profiler?
« on: April 09, 2012, 11:12:05 am »

Hi all,

I have a number of profiles for quality papers that show markedly deeper saturation in all colors in the older versions (built with Profilemaker, usually) than with the new i1 profiler.  What has happened?  Both on-screen and in print there are clear differences, its not even that subtle.

Profiles come from download, or paid for services from some of the experts on these pages, and from myself (iSisXL + i1profiler 1.2.0, I use 2900+ patches, + optimization sometimes).  In every case the older profile has deeper color saturation in each color, clearly visible.

It seems to me that i1 profiler has a great smoothness to it, but that is bought at a cost to pure saturation. Increasing the 'Sat' slider makes minimal difference in closing the gap to the old Profilemaker profiles.  At the moment I'm finding I prefer the results when using the old PM profiles, and only use i1 profiles when no alternative exists.   

Has anyone else noticed this, or can suggest a remedy?

rasworth

Re: Why is saturation worse in i1profiler?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 05:44:05 pm »

I made many profiles in PM5 - I have rerun using i1Profiler for several of the same printers (with new targets), in almost all cases the i1Profiler profiles resulted in slightly higher contrast and saturation, using the i1Profiler "Colorful" setting.

I found the Contrast slider created significant differences, i.e. if one sets it to a large negative value the resulting print (and soft proof) becomes quite flat.  I didn't see nearly as much difference with the other sliders, although I could crank down Saturation to fairly well match PM5 profiles.

Richard Southworth

Scott Martin

• Onsight
Re: Why is saturation worse in i1profiler?
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 06:09:50 pm »

Are you talking about the results made with the Perceptual intent? If so, do you know what perceptual rendering settings were used to make both your old and new profiles? The perceptual rendering results can be adjusted when the profiles are generated.

I find the profiles from i1Profiler (and Monaco Profiler for that matter) to be superior to PMP profiles in every way. If you're not finding that to be the case, then you may want to address these questions to your remote profiling vendor.
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up