Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Very Large Stretched Canvas Successs!  (Read 4687 times)

davidh202

Very Large Stretched Canvas Successs!
« on: April 08, 2012, 07:42:48 pm »

Back in January I had sought recommendations on mounting or stretching a 10' x 6' canvas ....
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=61199.msg493359#msg493359

The job finally came in and I elected to build a stretcher frame and stretch.  Decor Moulding #9999 was the largest strechers I could find and  Used 3- 1x3  strainers, and heavy duty corner angles on both sides of each corner for greater stability.

Having the decorators carpenter rip the edges of two 1" x 4" x  8' at 45 degree  angles to form mounting cleats, one to attach to the back of the canvas frame, and one to attach to the wall that will interlock when the canvas frame is hung.Building the frame was a little time consuming but the stretching itself (laid down on the carpeted floor), was a breeze.  Transportation and hanging is their responsibility ;) My job is sucessfully finished. ;D

In case anyone is interested the Pic is a view of Clarke County VA, taken from a Hot air balloon by N.Y.advertising/ food photographer Matthew Klein.
http://www.matthewklein.com/
http://matthewklein.wordpress.com/
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 08:09:58 pm by davidh202 »

Sven Bernert

Re: Very Large Stretched Canvas Successs!
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 07:27:34 am »

Wow David, the lower pic does look really impressive ...

[...] that is to be installed in a gov't building.

Any chance to picture it in its final installation?

Thanks,
Sven
If you are out there shooting, things wi

mstevensphoto

• Denver Commercial Photographer
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 12:24:38 pm »

how timely, I just did a slightly smaller one but mounted to masonite instead. I'm very interested to know how you intend to hang this piece?

Landscapes

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 03:34:57 pm »

how timely, I just did a slightly smaller one but mounted to masonite instead.

I'm very curious... how did you mount your canvas to masonite... good old Miracle Muck that I'm reading about? 

ps.  Sorry for hijacking the thread!

mstevensphoto

• Denver Commercial Photographer
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 04:11:13 pm »

yes, Miracle muck - canvas face down on smooth table, muck on masonite (already attached to pine frame for structure) flip it over and press, then flip and roll any bubbles.

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2012, 06:20:39 am »

David,
Exactly how we have hung our upper cabinets for years.
Works great!

Mark,
Here is a thinner version with the same concept.
Aluminum comes in 6' lengths. Just cut to length and attach one on the wall the other on your mount.
On my Dibond mounts we use the 3M VHP tape. (Expensive but the best.)
You can also use Speedgrip adhesive but if you have wood just use screws in the predrilled holes.
This installation gives you a standout of about 3/8" to 1/2"
Have to check my records but I believe I purchased from Decor Moulding in NY. or Habor sales in Suddlersville,MD.

plui

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2012, 12:24:17 pm »

Hi and congrats on the completion of the project. I ended up renting a large u-haul  truck to transport some 64x64 canvases...added a hundred plus dollars to the costs!
Mind if I ask what the image was printed with?

cheers! Pat

framah

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2012, 11:47:18 am »

United Manufacturers in Syosset, Ny carries them also.

"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."

framah

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2012, 11:59:23 am »

Great job!!

The only thing I have a bit of a problem with is where you put the metal angle brackets. The photo shows that...if I'm reading the photo right...  that you put them on the same side as the canvas.
 The possible problem I see is that if for some reason they start to rust due to humidity, they could stain the canvas. Odds are that they are below the lip of the wood so they aren't actually touching the canvas but still something to consider.

I have opened up frame jobs where the driver points are all rusted from the humidity where they were hung.

Now... for this job, where it is going into a fairly climate controlled building, it might not ever be a problem but if this was going into someones house where the humidity could fluctuate easily, it might show up in the future.

Just something to think about for the future jobs.

Of course, if we are going to talk about all that "archival stuff" ..the strainer wood needs to be sealed before the canvas is stretched so the acids of the wood don't eat at the fabric.

Too bad you couldn't convince them to put a nice, large frame around it!! ;D

"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."
Pages: [1]   Go Up