Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Nikon D800/E or D3x?  (Read 21129 times)

ymc226

Nikon D800/E or D3x?
« on: April 06, 2012, 03:47:51 pm »

Coming from film (using F6, Leica MP/7 as well as MF film), wanting to trade in F6 for digital.  This is a hobby and I shoot a variety of styles (sports, portrait, street, landscape) and have lots of Nikon lenses.

What would be the advantages of the D3x over the D800/E?

Brian Hirschfeld

• Brian Hirschfeld Photography
Re: Nikon D800/E or D3x?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 04:08:59 pm »

I have an M7 and F100 and 503CW so I know where you are coming from with the whole film thing. I do this as a hobby as well and shoot sports, portraits and landscape. While the D800 has a bigger and more highly rated sensor then the D3x at this point. If those are the two choices, I would get the D3x. However, if you are more into the portrait side of things, I would look for a medium format digital back, which in refurbished condition can run lower then a D3x or some even new are around a D3x in price and will blow D3x results out of the water. But if you are more on the sports side of things, of the two cameras, I would say the D800, since I believe it has a better AF system (*check this I could be wrong) but frankly if sports is the bigger of the two then I would look at a D3s or D4 since they have higher frame rates then the D3x. But overall if you dabble in sports, portrait and landscape (street too) then I would suggest the D3x, since it has more pro controls and is laid out in a more user-friendly ergonomic way (if you ask me). I had a D700 before moving to D3s and then D3s and D4 so I have some idea of what the D800 will be like without ever holding one. I think they are about equal in the frame rate side of things since they have such large files to process and the buffer's can't really do high fps. If sports and street are the least relevant I would look at a medium format digital back, even a 22mp back will blow a 36mp 35mm sensor out of the water. But I believe a D3 series camera (or D4) would fulfill your needs or desires better.
www.brianhirschfeldphotography.com / www.flickr.com/brianhirschfeldphotography
---------------------------------------------------------------
Leica / Nikon / Hasselblad / Mamiya ~ Proud IQ180 owner

theguywitha645d

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 04:36:55 pm »

This is your hobby. I would go for the D800. It is really a nice camera and it will produce really nice results. It is also the latest in sensor technology. You have lenses and the camera will do all the types of photography you do.

Whether you want the D800 or D800E, it is a personal choice. Both cameras will be excellent. The D800E will just be more prone to moire, which can be annoying. The added resolving power might be fun for you.

Brian Hirschfeld

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2012, 04:37:48 pm »

The added resolving power might be fun for you.

Fun counts too!

ymc226

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2012, 04:50:31 pm »

Thanks Brian,

Though I shoot just about everyting, portraits and candid portraits of my kids are my main interest.

I've thought about a MF digital back but didn't look into it as I assumed the expense and techincal expertise might both be too steep.

I use both a Hasselblad 203FE and 205FCC.  Can you give me brands and models as well as sites which would be good to start looking?

Brian Hirschfeld

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2012, 05:35:56 pm »

If you are in love with Hasselbald, the of course make the H system, which I used to own but moved away from since I did not enjoy the ergonomics or functionality. They do still make the 503Cw and there are numerous CFI / CFE lenses available as well as CF and some others wihc can be used with this system. Of course no autofocus so sports is out, but they make a couple of CVF digital backs, an older 16mp version, and more modern CFV39 and CFV50 with respective MP counts that are slightly trimmed since those are 645 megapixel counts but you can shoot square with slightly fewer MP. All of PhaseOne's backs worth with V system but Hasselblad's work without flash sync cables which is certainly a marketable feature. I personally use the PhaseOne 645DF, its slightly bulkier but different then a D3x but still manageable and functions very similar to any other japanese camera so there really isn't a learning curve. The biggest adjustment is the less flexible ISO range, but on the newer DB's like the Phase IQ series this is a non issue, and even on the P+ backs from PhaseOne ISO performance is pleasing. Personally I have had bad experiences with leaf, and they are less designed for being out and about and more designed for studio work.....

http://www.phaseone.com/en/Camera-Systems.aspx

http://www.hasselbladusa.com/products/v-system.aspx

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2012, 08:47:29 pm »

After 3 years with a D3X and one week witha D800, I would go with the D800.

The reason why should be clear in a few hours.

Cheers,
Bernard

Brian Hirschfeld

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2012, 08:48:54 pm »

After 3 years with a D3X and one week witha D800, I would go with the D800.

The reason why should be clear in a few hours.

Cheers,
Bernard

I won't be awake then, is it ergonomics or resolution?

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2012, 09:08:49 pm »

I won't be awake then, is it ergonomics or resolution?

A wide combination of factors.

Sorry, no time to write more now.

Cheers,
Bernard

rethmeier

• http://www.willemrethmeier.com
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2012, 09:28:05 pm »

I've been using a D3x for about 3 years now and I'm not selling it to get a D800.

I don't need bigger files,I don't do movies and I doubt the D800 will give me better files.

Not after it's printed in a magazine anyway.

Also now the D3x is discontinued ,it is very clear there will be an upgrade coming of the D3x.

That might be a camera I would be interested in.
Willem Rethmeier
www.willemrethmeier.com

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2012, 01:30:12 am »

Hi,

The D3X is 3.5 year old technology in a very robust body. The D800 is brand new technology in a body that probably is less robust.

If you are into Nikon, the D800/D800E is probably the best choice, unless you are shooting a lot of sports. I'd presume that the D800 is a better camera for portraits, street and landscape than the D3X. For sports you probably don't need the resolution of the D800/D800E and may lack the frame rate of a D4. On the street a smaller camera is preferable.

In my humble opinion the 36 MP feature of the D800 is a bit overblown. In linear resolution it is about 22% advantage, it may be noticable but not much more. Certainly an advantage but no game changer. Also, keep in mind that whatever the sensor, optimum performance may need be hard to achieve. Other factors like focusing, vibrations, stabilization may matter a lot.

Bernard's article sums it up pretty nicely.

Best regards
Erik

Coming from film (using F6, Leica MP/7 as well as MF film), wanting to trade in F6 for digital.  This is a hobby and I shoot a variety of styles (sports, portrait, street, landscape) and have lots of Nikon lenses.

What would be the advantages of the D3x over the D800/E?

Erik Kaffehr

rethmeier

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2012, 01:55:20 am »

Why don't we wait what Bernard has to say?
Because of him,I got myself a D3x and I'm still very happy with it.
What you can pull out of the shadows with that thing is pretty amazing.
Best,
Willem.
Willem Rethmeier
www.willemrethmeier.com

Pingang

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2012, 04:01:45 am »

I would go D800E but since it is not available yet so I am waiting for some more words on D800 vs D800E to make final move. But sure, my D3X will become a back-up camera adn I guess after more field works I may just do with 2 D800/E.  The pro camera was always that heavy since the Nikon F days perhaps because they cannot be made lighter and still strong enough.  This is 2012, they can now produce camera as strong, and more powerful at friendly weight, even the D4 is lighter now but I find more pexels more appealing - for what I shoot.

Pingang

rethmeier

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2012, 04:17:29 am »

How much does a D800 weigh with a battery pack?
Compared to a D4 or D3x,come on guys!
Go to the gym LOL,
W
Willem Rethmeier
www.willemrethmeier.com

ckimmerle

• http://www.chuckkimmerle.com
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2012, 11:17:49 am »

The answer is easy. The D800! It will make you a 50% better photographer than a D3x. Ask any of the people who place advanced orders.

However, if you're more based on reality than fantasy, then the answer may be different. The D3x has many advantages over the D800, body build, as someone said earlier, being foremost among them. I've dropped my D3x twice, from 3-4 feet, onto asphalt and rock. Both times it emerged unscathed (though scared the crap out of me). If the D800 is anything like the D7000, I am sure the outcome would have been different.

Also, the D3x can use all three PC-E lenses without limitations. The D800 should be able to use the 45mm and 85mm, but will have somewhat limited use with the 24mm.

My biggest complaint with the D800 is the external batter pack/grip. Not matter how well made it will be, it will never be as solid as an integral batter pack like D3x. And, as it will be what sits on the tripod, that means there is an increased potential for camera movement. I've seen this on the D7000.

The bottom line is that the D3x is made for professional work. It is tough and and it is reliable. The D800 is made for advanced amateurs, thus is made less robust. However, a new D800 is probably less expensive than a used D3x and money is almost always an issue.

As others have said, I see no reason to trade in my D3x for a D800.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 11:29:59 am by ckimmerle »
"The real voyage of discove

DaveCurtis

• http://www.magiclight.co.nz
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2012, 04:30:52 pm »

I think the question is here: Do you need a pro body.

I shoot Canon and have a 1DS3 and the new 5D3. The main difference for me is weight and ergonomics.

From a technology point of view the D800 is better being the current iteration.

heinrichvoelkel

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2012, 05:32:02 pm »

Also, the D3x can use all three PC-E lenses without limitations. The D800 should be able to use the 45mm and 85mm, but will have somewhat limited use with the 24mm.

not true

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=nehkWWCRWZE

theguywitha645d

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2012, 05:37:37 pm »

??? You mean to say that the 24mm will make sharp images in the D3x, but because the D800 divides the image into more pixels the resulting image will then appear soft? Sorry, even if what you say is true that the 24mm is somehow inferior, the images will look just as good if not a little better on the D800 than the D3x. Unless you are going to install monitors in your exhibition and allow the audience to pixel peep.

;) :D ;D

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2012, 05:56:01 pm »

As others have said, I see no reason to trade in my D3x for a D800.

I think the d800 is in every aspect the better camera:( and i have the D3x for three years)
Nikon will not produce a crappy body for this camera: this one is too important for them-  leaves one pound of weight i do not have to carry around all day(- also you drop one pound less if you drop it)
about two stop more sensitive- almost clean 3200 asa
more dynamic range
a silence mode + and no shaking ( live view makes it possible only to reduce the sound to only the shutter-no the mirror slab)
12mp pixels more information
a possibly better autofocus - as they say
a possibly better light metering - as they say
and good quality HD video

these are all basic improvements- the only thing i do not like is the smaller battery.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 07:54:52 pm by kers »
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

ckimmerle

• http://www.chuckkimmerle.com
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2012, 01:13:54 am »

not true

Ummmm....did you even watch the video? It expressly states that rotation is limited, which is exactly what I inferred. That limitation, which is pretty much the same as when mounted on the D7000, can sometimes be a bit of a pain, especially when one needs to have either the tilt or rise on an odd angle, such as 45-degrees on the offending side. Also, it can be problematic when rotating the camera from horizontal to vertical and wanting to use the same tilt/shift settings, as the lens hits the flash housing and prevents rotation to one side. I know because, unlike you, I have real world experience with the issue. It can usually be worked out, but not as easily as when using on the D3x. So yes, my statement IS most definitely true.

??? You mean to say that the 24mm will make sharp images in the D3x, but because the D800 divides the image into more pixels the resulting image will then appear soft?

What are you talking about? Really, I don't get it. Where the hell did I say, or even hint, that the 24mm PC-E lens will be softer on the D800? There is simply no sane way you could have read than in my post. I said there will be some LIMITATIONS, and there are. Rotation LIMITATIONS. Jeesh. Next time you might actually read a post before you respond.

Chuck (the guy without a 645d, and even if he did he wouldn't brag about it) Kimmerle

« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 01:45:00 am by ckimmerle »
"The real voyage of discove
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up