Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: adv. guide for Lr - local adjustments / shorteness of some chapter  (Read 9525 times)

Robert-Peter Westphal

• Nature-Photography Westphal

Hi,

I absolutely enjoyed the last published parts of the series, but I have to make a remark.

In my opinion, the sequence of the local adjustemnts is a bit to short.

I would like to know how global adjustments for sharpening and noise reduction interfere with local adjustments done by the brush.

Especially when using 'denoising' with the brush, I would like to know if all settings from the noise-section of the global adjustement will "fly" into the brush, and only the strength-setting is changed by the slider of the brush ?

For me, as an owner of many other videos ( like both from camera to print / & screen and the Lr 3 series) everything is clear, but I could imagine that some new customer don't find it pretty fair to keep the chapter that short and giving a hint to the chapter of a different series of videos to buy. This video is labeled "advanced guide to Lr 4" and not addon to the former guides.

But, as mentioned before, I absolutely enjoy watching the videos and I can confirm that I have learned very much new knowledge from them !

Best wishes

Robert
'visit my completly renewed gallery at http://www.naturfotografie-westphal.com '

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
Re: adv. guide for Lr - local adjustments / shorteness of some chapter
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2012, 07:52:55 am »

I'll let Jeff answer the first part of your question. I believe he explains the 'cross-over' between local and global de-noise within the video.

As far as the 'short' chapter markers, I place these in positions that not only mark the beginning of a new section but as importantly as marks that allow the selection of a still frame so that they may be compared easily when the video is on 'pause'. I also put the shortcut keys of the Crop section there for quick reference. I guess that the word 'chapter' is the odd-man-out - really they are as much 'markers' as 'chapters'.

Chris
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 08:26:05 am by Chris Sanderson »

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2012, 03:56:43 pm »

I would like to know how global adjustments for sharpening and noise reduction interfere with local adjustments done by the brush.

Pretty sure I said that increasing the local sharpening used the Detail panel settings (for amount, radius and masking) and increased the amount. If you use a -sharpen you decrease the amount between -1 and -50 with -51 to -100 actually introducing lens blur...

With the local noise reduction, just like sharpening, adding noise reduction (slider to the right) increases the luminance noise reduction parameters you set in the Detail panel. Using minus reduces it...

Robert-Peter Westphal

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2012, 04:08:02 pm »

Pretty sure I said that increasing the local sharpening used the Detail panel settings (for amount, radius and masking) and increased the amount. If you use a -sharpen you decrease the amount between -1 and -50 with -51 to -100 actually introducing lens blur...

With the local noise reduction, just like sharpening, adding noise reduction (slider to the right) increases the luminance noise reduction parameters you set in the Detail panel. Using minus reduces it...

Hi Jeff,

thanks for making this clear to me !
I saw the video about local adjustments twice, but really missed that you mentioned this.

Best wishes

Robert
'visit my completly renewed gallery at http://www.naturfotografie-westphal.com '

Schewe

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2012, 05:59:08 pm »

I saw the video about local adjustments twice, but really missed that you mentioned this.

Review LR4_20 Graduated & Adjustment Brush at about the 14 minute mark to hear the relationship between global and local sharpening...

kencameron

• Recent Photographs
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2012, 07:26:58 pm »

Review LR4_20 Graduated & Adjustment Brush at about the 14 minute mark to hear the relationship between global and local sharpening...

So (question to Chris) I assume we can hope to see LR4_20 soon - or am I missing something/is it already there?  :)
Ken Cameron

michael

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2012, 07:36:01 pm »

It's in file #20, which is online as part of a zip, not in zip #20.

Check the new Table of Contents.

Michael

kencameron

• Recent Photographs
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2012, 08:03:26 pm »

It's in file #20, which is online as part of a zip, not in zip #20.

Thanks for the clarification. I was thrown by the reference to "LR_20", which, at least on my downloads, only appears as the convention for reference to the zip files - the movie file is "20_[title]".

BTW, downloads are now proceeding at impressive speed - not long to wait for my next hit.
Ken Cameron

Robert-Peter Westphal

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2012, 10:30:55 am »

Jeff,

many thanks for the clarification !

And for denoising, it is the same !?!?!

Robert

Robert-Peter Westphal

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2012, 12:13:52 pm »

Jeff,

I revied it again and I found one or two sentences when you explain the grad-filter for blurring the foreground of the penguin-picture ( around th e6th minute), and that's all.

Perhaps I sholuld download it iagain, it looks as if there is something missing in my video.

Robert

Schewe

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2012, 01:36:09 pm »

The grad filter and the adjustment brush use the exact same set of control channels...where I demo'ed adding the blur filter I talked about the fact that the local adjustment uses the settings already set in the Detail panel and modifies the Amount settings up or down or in the case of below -50, adds a blur.

I just reviewed the final edit of the local noise and note I didn't mention is uses the noise reduction settings in the Detail panel (my bad, sorry) but local noise also picks up the settings used in the Detail panel and modifies the luminance noise reduction amount. Hence you can add more amount or subtract the amount. Useful for what I showed in the demo to kill heavy noise in the shadows.

Robert-Peter Westphal

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2012, 12:08:20 pm »

The grad filter and the adjustment brush use the exact same set of control channels...where I demo'ed adding the blur filter I talked about the fact that the local adjustment uses the settings already set in the Detail panel and modifies the Amount settings up or down or in the case of below -50, adds a blur.

I just reviewed the final edit of the local noise and note I didn't mention is uses the noise reduction settings in the Detail panel (my bad, sorry) but local noise also picks up the settings used in the Detail panel and modifies the luminance noise reduction amount. Hence you can add more amount or subtract the amount. Useful for what I showed in the demo to kill heavy noise in the shadows.
Jeff,

many thanks for your complete anser you're giving us here. I'm happy having found such great videos and help for my work with Lightroom.

Have a nice day !

Robert

JimGoshorn

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2012, 01:34:47 pm »

So when you use sharpening with the adjustment brush, does that reference the sharpening settings in the Detail panel?

Jim

Schewe

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2012, 01:37:15 pm »

Yes...it uses the radius, detail and masking already set in the Detail panel and adds/subtracts the amount setting in the local adjustment.
Pages: [1]   Go Up