Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Xpro-1 Tips & Tricks from Petteri Sulonen  (Read 12233 times)

rasterdogs

Xpro-1 Tips & Tricks from Petteri Sulonen
« on: March 29, 2012, 11:03:25 pm »

Petteri does it again.

This is excellent - gives me something to do while waiting for my Xpro-1 to arrive.

http://primejunta.blogspot.com/2012/03/x-pro-1-tips-and-tricks-basics.html

Rasterdogs

....waiting patiently...    :o

mbaginy

Re: Xpro-1 Tips & Tricks from Petteri Sulonen
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 05:14:29 am »

Thanks for the link.  I found Petteri's explanations interesting, helpful and they very quite closely mirror my experiences with the X-Pro 1.  I bought mine only eight days ago and enjoy using it very much.  I've kept the 35mm lens on the camera for almost all my shots, just playing around with the 18mm and 60mm.  Guess I don't really need them.  As Petteri writes, the 35mm is outstanding wide open and that's how I usually set my aperture.

I'm eagerly awaiting LR4 to handle the X-Pro 1 raw files.  One detail in which my experience differs from Petteri's is, I'm not overly pleased with the auto white balance performance.  Almost all shots seem too greenish and need to be adjusted.  High ISO performance is outstanding!

rasterdogs

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2012, 10:22:45 am »

This www aggregator has been extracting tips from the Xpro-1 manual:

http://www.scoop.it/t/fuji-x-pro1

This camera is tons of fun!   

-rasterdogs

mbaginy

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2012, 11:23:14 am »

Thanks for that link - many interesting reviews and tips.

I'm enjoying my X-Pro 1 too.  The 35mm seems to stay on 99% of the time, the other two lenses stay home.

I've found, that I keep switching the camera on unintentionally when carrying it over my shoulder (lens facing my body).  Also, I keep rotating the exposure compensation dial with my thumb.  I'll have to get one of those Thumbs Up grips and hope that helps.  My dealer gave me another spare battery and the Fujifilm half case.  Nice guy!  The case increases overall width of the camera to a very comfortable size, making my grip on the camera more secure and reducing the danger of my fingers accidentally hitting the Q or AE-L buttons.

colinb

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2012, 03:14:55 pm »

Do you use the rubber lens cap that comes with the 35mm? I do, and I find that I keep having to retrace my steps to recover it. It's only a matter of time before it gets lost properly. Other than that, I am a very happy Fujifilm customer [I have an amazing story of their customer server with respect to a Scansnap but that's for another time] but damn that cap is vexing.

I could get some sort of loop with a sticky thing to link the cap to the lens or body but I'm loath to do that because a dangling cap is a pain in the neck.

Has anyone found a better solution?

c

mbaginy

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2012, 03:29:13 pm »

Well, I can't seem to befriend those caps.  I can't seem to properly grip the one which mounts on the lens directly - my fingers slip off the "internal" grips and those external knurled areas are too recessed from the lens diameter.  I'll just place the caps on the lenses when the camera is in my bag.  I never use the caps when walking about with the camera.  As you mentioned, they're bound to be lost.

Had an odd experience importing jpegs into LR4.  This was the second time not all images showed up in the import selection window.  I imported those ticked but was missing some shots.  I again inserted the SD card into my iMac and suddenly those "missing" jpegs showed up and could be imported.  I had to insert the card a third time to make sure, all images had been imported.  All images showed up in the finder - just LR4 had problems noticing them.

A few days ago I wondered about some shots I'd taken and how I had unintentionally "lost" (deleted?) them.  Now I fear, the same phenomenon occurred and they actually were lost after re-formating the SD card after importing.

I don't know if this is a camera or an LR4 "bug".  It's never happened with my Canon 5D or other cameras (I hope).  I'll keep an eye on that odd performance.

rasterdogs

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2012, 04:33:47 pm »

Do you use the rubber lens cap that comes with the 35mm? I do, and I find that I keep having to retrace my steps to recover it. It's only a matter of time before it gets lost properly. Other than that, I am a very happy Fujifilm customer [I have an amazing story of their customer server with respect to a Scansnap but that's for another time] but damn that cap is vexing.

I could get some sort of loop with a sticky thing to link the cap to the lens or body but I'm loath to do that because a dangling cap is a pain in the neck.

Has anyone found a better solution?

c

The best characterization I've seen of those lens caps - they are like 'wet biscuits'!
What were they thinking?    ???

-rasterdogs

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2012, 12:22:51 pm »

I have not seen the import issue with LR4, but I am on a pc and it seems to work just fine. I agree the caps are a pain, so I don't use the rubber caps, on the 35mm I can get the lens cap on and off with the hood on, the 18mm I have to remove the hood to take the cap off. So I just use the lens caps.

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA

mbaginy

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2012, 01:52:49 pm »

The caps aren't state-of-the-art.  Or maybe they are, if the manufacturer has placed hopes on profiting from selling replacements.

Yesterday I missed a number of shots due to the slow AF - or maybe trying to shoot scenes too quickly.  While I generally enjoy the X-Pro 1, I'll probably end up getting an M9 somewhere down the line.  AF is nice but a tad too slow on the X-Pro 1 with 35mm lens.  Manual focusing (of the M9) surely won't be quicker but hopefully a bit "simpler" (I used to use the M3, M6 and M7).  I keep misjudging the AF with the OVF (Optical Viewfinder).  EVF is more defined but not really to my liking.

I might even try film again and scan the negatives.  There's no perfect camera.  But I do miss film, solid build quality and true manual focus lenses.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 01:55:40 pm by Mike D. B. »

rasterdogs

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2012, 10:28:57 pm »

The lens caps are certainly not the 'state of the art' for industrial design. Fuji ought to be embarrassed about them, the caps would be more acceptable if they were made of cardboard.

Not sure about the AF difficulties referred to here.
I'm finding using the OVF with the corrected AF square turned on to work very acceptably.
Anticipation and planning are pluses when using the Xpro-1. Pretty much how I used to shoot with
film and my Nikkormat.
Zone focusing with the 18 mm at F8 is lightning fast.  ;D
I'm totally happy with my Xpro-1.

-rasterdogs

The caps aren't state-of-the-art.  Or maybe they are, if the manufacturer has placed hopes on profiting from selling replacements.

Yesterday I missed a number of shots due to the slow AF - or maybe trying to shoot scenes too quickly.  While I generally enjoy the X-Pro 1, I'll probably end up getting an M9 somewhere down the line.  AF is nice but a tad too slow on the X-Pro 1 with 35mm lens.  Manual focusing (of the M9) surely won't be quicker but hopefully a bit "simpler" (I used to use the M3, M6 and M7).  I keep misjudging the AF with the OVF (Optical Viewfinder).  EVF is more defined but not really to my liking.

I might even try film again and scan the negatives.  There's no perfect camera.  But I do miss film, solid build quality and true manual focus lenses.
Pages: [1]   Go Up