Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: J'Accuse  (Read 29386 times)

Ray

Re: J'Accuse
« Reply #120 on: April 13, 2012, 05:12:20 am »

Two engineering students were walking across campus when one said, "Where did you get such a great bike?". The second engineer replied, "Well, I was walking along yesterday minding my own business when a beautiful woman rode up on this bike. She threw the bike to the ground, took off all her clothes and said, "Take what you want.". The second engineer nodded approvingly, "Good choice; the clothes probably wouldn't have fit."

That's hilarious. Thanks for the laugh.  ;D

Rob C

« Reply #121 on: April 13, 2012, 01:51:41 pm »

Thanks, Mike, winging its way to a couple of friends!

Rob C

telyt

« Reply #122 on: April 13, 2012, 06:24:15 pm »

Questions recent college graduates ask on their first job:

The recent graduate with the engineering degree asks "How do we make this?"
The recent graduate with the business degree asks "How much will it cost?"
The recent graduate with the liberal arts degree asks "Would you like fries with that?"

Re: Understanding Engineers - pretty much true, according to my wife.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 06:25:50 pm by telyt »

Peter McLennan

« Reply #123 on: April 13, 2012, 06:47:57 pm »

Three gentlemen are set to be executed by guillotine: a lawyer, a doctor and an engineer.  They are allowed the choice of "face-up" or "face-down".

Not wishing to witness his demise, the lawyer chooses face-down and lies down to await his fate. The blade descends with incredible force and speed, only to come to an abrupt stop just inches from his neck.  In accordance with tradition, if the mechanism fails, the victim is given a complete reprieve.  Wiping his brow with relief, the lawyer withdraws.

The doctor, too chooses face down.  Incredibly, again the blade stops just before impact and the doctor goes free.

The engineer chooses to meet his fate face-up and assumes the position on the block, gazing upwards with interest.  Just as the executioner is about to release the mechanism, the engineer yells "Stop!  Wait!  I think I see the problem!"

barryfitzgerald

« Reply #124 on: April 15, 2012, 05:07:32 pm »

Good enough is the enemy of rampant consumerism and I love every minute of it  8)
So you want that nice 4k TV..$$ flies up for the makers, but wait 10 years down the road 4k is old hat it's not 8k and yes we get to spend even more money on buying the same product yet again.

Someone asked me if I'd like to update my DVD collection (which is quite considerable it must be said) to Blu ray. It would cost me a small fortune to do that, and I have to say DVD is for me...well it's good enough and yes nicer than those old VHS tapes too! I'm sure the movie companies would love to re-sell me the same films in a new higher def format..problem is I'm not suckering into that one not one bit.  ::) It's a great strategy I have to say keep selling the same thing over and over again super profit bubble is what I call it.

I didn't buy a DVD player when they first came out, a friend of mine did cost quite a lot of money. Years down the road DVD players cost peanuts.
In fact I don't buy cameras when they first hit the shelves I wait, prices fall..and issues that might be a problem we hope get ironed out. Ditto on computers I know the market and how it works never buy top end of anything esp computers, today's top end is tomorrows budget processor. It's the inevitable consequence of electronics it gets cheaper over time. By all means go mid range if you want..but you pay a hefty premium at the high point.

I'm sure companies hate my strategy I didn't rush out and buy an ipad because I don't want one, nor an iphone, nor a blu ray player. I buy what I need..maybe I'm overly cautious, maybe I'm tight fisted. But I do think we live in an overly commercial world frankly I'm sick of it really..everywhere you go it's shoved down your throat. And if we are completely honest, we don't even need half this junk anyway do we? Food for thought, someone has to say it

Rob C

« Reply #125 on: April 16, 2012, 09:30:25 am »

I'm sure companies hate my strategy I didn't rush out and buy an ipad because I don't want one, nor an iphone, nor a blu ray player. I buy what I need..maybe I'm overly cautious, maybe I'm tight fisted. But I do think we live in an overly commercial world frankly I'm sick of it really..everywhere you go it's shoved down your throat. And if we are completely honest, we don't even need half this junk anyway do we? Food for thought, someone has to say it

And I'm glad that you did.

Trouble is, somewhere down the line those manufacturers still get you: my extensive shelves of taped music cassettes are no longer playable in the car. Only CDs fit and I have few of those I want to play too often. As with LPs of yesteryear, there are perhaps two good tracks per package. So, ages of making selected tapes from my permanent stuff are now waste outwith the home.

Bugger them all, yet again.

Rob C
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 08:01:32 am by Rob C »

MikeMac

« Reply #126 on: April 17, 2012, 04:00:01 am »

And I'm glad that you did.

Trouble is, somewhere down the line those manufacturers still get you: my extensive shelves of taped music casettes are no longer playable in the car. Only CDs fit and I have few of those I want to play too often. As with LPs of yesteryear, there are perhaps two good tracks per package. So, ages of making selected tapes from my permanent stuff are now waste outwith the home.

Bugger them all, yet again.

Rob C

I used to love making up mix tapes. Tapes for parties, tapes for friends, tapes for girlfriends. It was great fun. I don't particularly regret their passing because I had such a great time with them when they were current.

I hate the waste though. We bought a new TV last year, a nice LCD model, despite the fact our old Sony Trinitron CRT was still in good working order. We didn't need it, it was only bought partly as we wanted to buy one, and partly as my wife wanted the Freeview channels and there wasn't space under the TV for a separate box. Pretty rubbish reasons, and the old TV straight to landfill as no-one wants them. I'm pretty embarrassed about it really because it is so wasteful.

Just to add a touch of irony, three months later we have moved to Russia and the new TV has had to go into storage whilst we are away! Now I feel really bad.

Maybe Barry is right, we should make the best of what we have. Or take the time to understand our own needs and chose accordingly rather than being dictated to by marketing and sales blurb. There is enough choice out there. Are all the choices really so bad that we can't find one that suits us?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up