Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Refining file selections with filters in Bridge.  (Read 8944 times)

Onslow

Refining file selections with filters in Bridge.
« on: March 21, 2012, 05:47:55 pm »

Morning All,
When returning from a shoot, the first thing I do after loading the images from the card to the drive is I review each image at 100% and decide if it is focus or not. If it is, I give it a star rating of one. After they have all been checked, I then apply a filter in the filter window of Bridge to show only those with a rating of one. Selecting all of them, I then give each one a keyword of 'In Focus' and then clear the ratings of one on them all.

Now, here's my problem. Sometimes I will want to check the focus on the out of focus ones again just to make sure. If I select all the ones with the keyword 'In Focus' is there then a way for the selection to be inverted? ie show all files WITHOUT the keyword out of focus.

I do understand I could keyword a file with  'Out of Focus' but I'm wondering if there is a way of doing this without labelling ones out of focus. Surely there would be other occasions where it would be handy to select a range of files and then inverse the resulting selection?

I'm running CS5 and Bridge for Windows7 64bit. Bridge ver is 4.0.5.11. The Get updates panel tells me all my programs are up to date.
Cheers

Onslow

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
Re: Refining file selections with filters in Bridge.
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 08:39:09 pm »

There are numerous alternate ways to do this with many different types of labelling, plus you can use colours as well as stars. Stars could also be used to grade images, 1 being rejects, 2 being keepers, but if using your current labelling, "Show unrated files only" is the simplest method. Click on 'Star' drop down menu at top right of panels and you get that and other filtering options.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

Onslow

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 01:06:08 am »

There are numerous alternate ways to do this with many different types of labelling, plus you can use colours as well as stars. Stars could also be used to grade images, 1 being rejects, 2 being keepers, but if using your current labelling, "Show unrated files only" is the simplest method. Click on 'Star' drop down menu at top right of panels and you get that and other filtering options.

I didn't know that, thanks! However, it doesn't quite work in my situation as when the files are loaded, I have the models name etc filled in as the first step in my workflow. It could all be altered to suit of course but this is how I have come to work. Very methodical process else I invariably forget a step....

What happens with my files which aren't labelled as 'In Focus' is I keep them for a few short weeks and then I delete them after one final check.

I have used smart collections to search for all files which don't have 'In Focus'. This seems an unnecessary step though to create a collection for this and then delete it each time. This is why inverting the 'In Focus' selection is preferable.
Cheers

Onslow

Les Sparks

• http://www.ncsparks.com
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2012, 11:54:49 am »

In bridge select Edit>Find (ctl-F in Windows):
This will open the Find Dialog Box
Under Source enter the place where your photos are
Under Criteria
select keywords change contains to does not contain then enter your keyword.

I find that the search function in Bridge is superior to the search function in Light Room. The Find Dialog Box allows you to build very detailed searches that I don't see how to do in LightRoom.
Les
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 11:57:21 am by Les Sparks »

Onslow

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2012, 04:57:36 pm »

In bridge select Edit>Find (ctl-F in Windows):
This will open the Find Dialog Box
Under Source enter the place where your photos are
Under Criteria
select keywords change contains to does not contain then enter your keyword.

I find that the search function in Bridge is superior to the search function in Light Room. The Find Dialog Box allows you to build very detailed searches that I don't see how to do in LightRoom.
Les

G'day Les,

That's the solution! Thank you for pointing it out. It was staring at me but fo some reason I never checked the Find menu item. I'd see it, but, not see it if you know what I mean! Doh......!!!!!!

I also see NOW that there is an invert selection in the same menu area! Exactly what I needed as well. !

There's none so blind as those who can't see...!

Thanks for pointing these out. I appreciate it. :)
Cheers

Onslow

Steve House

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2012, 06:57:13 am »

There's none so blind as those who can't see...!

And that's why I have to screen out so many images for being out of focus!   ::) :'(

Les Sparks

• http://www.ncsparks.com
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2012, 01:07:45 pm »

Onslow
Glad to help.
Les
Pages: [1]   Go Up