Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: visit to stone mountain, GA  (Read 1572 times)

mokenny

visit to stone mountain, GA
« on: March 20, 2012, 09:54:29 pm »

I had the opportunity of visiting stone mountain in GA this past weekend. The vista at the top was beautiful and I managed to take some pictures.
I would appreciate comments on how to improve my effort at landscape photography.
Thanks

Mo

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
Re: visit to stone mountain, GA
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 11:37:05 pm »

"I would appreciate comments on how to improve my effort at landscape photography."

A lot depends on what your intention is with this photo. If you are trying portray the area as dark, mystifying and edgy, then you've done it. The photo overall is on the "dark side" with most tones being middle to low values.

However, it your intent was to create an uplifting and brilliant portrait of a beautiful area, then this photo doesn't convey that due to the decisions you made in processing.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

Michael H. Cothran

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 08:20:11 am »

It's a nice "generic" scenic, but I find the corner vignetting to be too much. Also, and this could just be my office monitor, it appears to be somewhat dark overall.

Dewi Sant

• Dewi Sant Photography
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012, 09:46:52 am »

I have to agree with the above comments, as a landcape the composition is ok but there's nothing outstanding about it and the vignetting is a bit offputting. Also looks a tad dark on my monitor.

Dewi

shaunw

• Shaun Walby Landscape Photography collections
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2012, 12:27:11 pm »

For me this image is let down by the lack of dynamic light within the scene, its has very similar tones throughout only broken by the vignetting which is too powerful for the scene IMO.  Try to draw out more contrast from the tones you have in the scene to try and seperate them, this is easily achieved using curves.

regards Shaun
Canon 5D mk II Sigma 10-20, Canon 17-40mm L, Canon 24-105mm L, Canon 70-200 L, Lee Filters, Manfrotto geared head/tripod.

''Twelve significant photographs in any one year is a good crop''. – Ansel Adams
http://www.shaunwalbyphotography.com

rambler44

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2012, 01:16:39 pm »

Tree and rock are interesting along with the clouds.  I think it is the long expanse of uninteresting background (the distant tree tops) that for some reason overwhelms the composition for me.  Too much negative space.  Our attention is pulled away from the interesting foreground for not a very good reason.  I wonder if a lower angle would have done better to shorten the background getting us right into the clouds.
Pages: [1]   Go Up