Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: RRS BH-55 is stuck.  (Read 4039 times)

HDProman

RRS BH-55 is stuck.
« on: March 18, 2012, 12:14:46 pm »

My RRS BH-55 is stuck. No amount of effort by hand will move either the Main Lock Knob or the Drag Set Knob.

During my last shoot just before returning to my vehicle as is my practice I checked all the knobs for tightness before putting the tripod and camera on my shoulder.

I thought it was unusual that the Drag Set Knob turned all the way to number 8 with very little effort. Now I can not turn either knob. With camera attached I am able to just move the ball but not bare handed.

Help...Floyd
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 12:16:37 pm by HDProman »

Netxlabs

Re: RRS BH-55 is stuck.
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 01:09:29 pm »

That's never happened to me with the RRS stuff ball heads. But this used to happen with the Arca Swiss model. The fix was anti-intuitive. Simply *tighten* the knobs (you would think to try to loosen them). Once you tighten them all the way try again to loosen the knobs and the lock-up is solved. I have no idea if this will work with your issue.

Scott O.

• Photography by Scott and Joyce
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 01:10:08 pm »

RRS addressed the sticking problem on their FAQ page http://reallyrightstuff.com/websiteInfo.aspx?fc=134  Don't know if this is your exact problem but it might help...

HDProman

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 02:13:52 pm »

That's never happened to me with the RRS stuff ball heads. But this used to happen with the Arca Swiss model. The fix was anti-intuitive. Simply *tighten* the knobs (you would think to try to loosen them). Once you tighten them all the way try again to loosen the knobs and the lock-up is solved. I have no idea if this will work with your issue.

Thanks for your response, unfortunately neither knob will turn. I have requested information from RRS about sending it in for repairs.

HDProman

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2012, 02:16:31 pm »

RRS addressed the sticking problem on their FAQ page http://reallyrightstuff.com/websiteInfo.aspx?fc=134  Don't know if this is your exact problem but it might help...

Yes, I saw the video, unfortunately neither knob will turn. Looking to send to RRS on Monday.

Scott O.

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2012, 02:36:59 pm »

Sorry that didn't work.  Don't know where you are located, but why not give them a call direct?  They are in San Luis Obispo (Pacific Daylight time).  I have found that they are amazingly easy to work with, and contrary to some manufacturers, seem actually to care that you get your problem fixed.

K.C.

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 04:47:00 am »

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012, 06:12:30 am »

Likely the problem is your drag knob has been over rotated (try and say that with a straight face ;D )

I have seen this before on my own RRS ball head. Its easily fixed by (with effort) cranking back the drag knob.
Wild Nature Photo Travel

HDProman

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2012, 12:49:11 pm »

Likely the problem is your drag knob has been over rotated (try and say that with a straight face ;D )

I have seen this before on my own RRS ball head. Its easily fixed by (with effort) cranking back the drag knob.

There must be something unique about my situation because short of using vise grip pliers there is no moving the drag knob.

I am sending the head back to RRS today and will post an update after I hear from them. Hopefully they will share details about why I am having this problem.

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2012, 09:00:34 pm »

Quick question: Have you tried loosening the controls while a heavy camera is mounted?

HDProman

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2012, 01:20:29 am »

Quick question: Have you tried loosening the controls while a heavy camera is mounted?

Believe me I tried everything.

THIS WAS MY SOLUTION

UPSed to San Luis Obispo this morning.

Scott O.

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2012, 08:23:48 pm »

Sorry it came to that, but I am confident they will take good care of you and it!
Pages: [1]   Go Up