Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Þeistareykir  (Read 2243 times)

Rajan Parrikar

• Rajan Parrikar
Þeistareykir
« on: March 15, 2012, 10:42:16 pm »

Where the earth is still cooking.

stpf8

• Stephen Penland Photography
Re: Þeistareykir
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 08:22:27 pm »

While the geology is interesting (similar to Yellowstone National Park in the U.S.), I think finding something aesthetically pleasing is going to be difficult here.  It's flat and featureless except for the hot spots, you're probably as close as you can safely approach, and there is little in the background that is visually appealing (to my eyes, at least).  A clear blue sky or a sky with really attractive clouds might help.  Normally I would try a composition without any sky at all, but I don't see anything here that I might try to work with.  Without knowing what's around you, I'd probably be walking around looking for some additional elements (boulders, trees) that might add interest to the composition, and/or I might try to get closer with a longer lens, especially on a day when the background has more to offer.  My $0.02.
Stephen Penland
www.stephenpenland.com

Rajan Parrikar

• Rajan Parrikar
Re: Þeistareykir
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 08:32:00 pm »

While the geology is interesting (similar to Yellowstone National Park in the U.S.), I think finding something aesthetically pleasing is going to be difficult here.  It's flat and featureless except for the hot spots, you're probably as close as you can safely approach, and there is little in the background that is visually appealing (to my eyes, at least).  A clear blue sky or a sky with really attractive clouds might help.  Normally I would try a composition without any sky at all, but I don't see anything here that I might try to work with.  Without knowing what's around you, I'd probably be walking around looking for some additional elements (boulders, trees) that might add interest to the composition, and/or I might try to get closer with a longer lens, especially on a day when the background has more to offer.  My $0.02.

Stephen,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on the image.

The criteria you propose in evaluating what makes for an interesting image are a little limiting in my view.  There are a couple of things I hoped to convey in this image.  One, the desolate yet in some way imbued with mystique landscape, and two, the palette of colours on the earth arising from geothermal activity.  At this small size these qualities may not have come through as well as they could.  This image itself was part of a mini-photo essay which is linked to above.  Regards.

Pages: [1]   Go Up