Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: best landscape photographer  (Read 42662 times)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: best landscape photographer
« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2012, 05:35:44 pm »

... Did the photographer set fires to show those fires as part of his art?

I do not know, never seen those photographs. But my assumption is that the fires were not meant to be in the photographs (remember, there were aluminum trays involved - a rather unsightly and totally not "timeless"). What he was after (again, I am speculating) is the lighting effect on rocks from those fires, rather than "painting with flashlight" (again, so not "timeless").

But whatever the case, we have not seen those photographs, and probably never will, so that begs the question: what does his body of other work, accumulated over years of his photographic career and vastly outnumbering those few "fire" works, has to do with that?

Isaac

« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2012, 06:29:03 pm »

But my assumption is that the fires were not meant to be in the photographs...  What he was after (again, I am speculating) is the lighting effect on rocks from those fires...

You're splitting hairs.

Did the photographer set fires to show the lighting effect on rocks from those fires as part of his art?

Did Caravaggio kill a man to show that killing as part of his art? You didn't answer. My guess is that you know the answer and understand that you've put forward a false likeness.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 03:13:03 pm by Isaac »

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #42 on: March 19, 2012, 06:51:20 pm »

Splitting hairs ...

Feel free to continue (the splitting).

If you do not get my point (or do not want to get it), so be it. For the benefit of others, I will repeat it here:

I am deliberately separating his photography from his character or his deeds. And I understand that there are those who can not (separate it). And by his "photography" I do not consider the whole process of it (which then might include the questionable or illegal practices), but just the end result, the print. And those prints I am talking about existed long before the fire episode. Why would his earlier work be devalued by what he did later?

Chris_Brown

• Smile dammit!
    • Chris Brown Photography
« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2012, 10:20:50 am »

I am deliberately separating his photography from his character or his deeds.

We encounter this conundrum in many areas of our lives. Examples include:
  • Do you buy gas from Citgo, whose main supplier of oil products is Venezuela?
  • Do you watch a movie produced/directed by a misogynist?
  • Do you donate money to a church whose head pastor is shagging his secretary?
  • Do you pay your taxes to a government who is intent on controlling every aspect of your life?

Life is a series of choices, and our character is revealed by the choices we make.
~ CB

Isaac

« Reply #44 on: March 20, 2012, 03:30:16 pm »

I am deliberately separating his photography from his character or his deeds. And I understand that there are those who can not (separate it).
If that's what you intend then it makes no sense to ask whether his earlier work would be devalued by what he did later - you've already given carte blanche, seemingly to anything legal or not.

Simply put, you seem to be saying that the ends justify the means.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 05:38:15 pm by Isaac »

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #45 on: March 20, 2012, 05:42:55 pm »

If that's what you intend then it makes no sense to ask whether his earlier work would be devalued by what he did later - you've already given carte blanche, seemingly to anything legal or not.

Simply put, you seem to be saying that the ends justify the means.

theguywitha645d

« Reply #46 on: March 20, 2012, 11:04:52 pm »

Ah, America. A land of tolerance and compassion. Where the perfect live above the sinners and feigned outrage is the moral compass with which we punish those that we don't like.

For heaven's sake, he burnt some rocks. He did his time. Even the Constitution has something against cruel and unusual punishment.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #47 on: March 21, 2012, 12:00:08 am »

Ah, America. A land of tolerance and compassion. Where the perfect live above the sinners and feigned outrage is the moral compass with which we punish those that we don't like...

Hehe... Beautifully put!

Isaac

« Reply #48 on: March 22, 2012, 04:08:33 pm »

Ah, America. A land of tolerance and compassion. Where the perfect live above the sinners and feigned outrage is the moral compass with which we punish those that we don't like.
Ah, someone uttering sarcastic generalities about the behaviour of 300 million individuals.

For heaven's sake, he burnt some rocks. He did his time. Even the Constitution has something against cruel and unusual punishment.
For heaven's sake, reputation isn't defined by legal statute. The Constitution does not dictate what you may or may not think about someone else's behaviour.

theguywitha645d

« Reply #49 on: March 22, 2012, 04:53:17 pm »

Ah, someone uttering sarcastic generalities about the behaviour of 300 million individuals.

Actually, I was just addressing your attitude.

For heaven's sake, reputation isn't defined by legal statute. The Constitution does not dictate what you may or may not think about someone else's behaviour.

I agree. But your comments have nothing to do with this photographer's reputation, just your grudge against him. You also seem fixated about the legality of his actions, but the punishment has been paid. Let me knock that chip off your shoulder. Beside, you might make a mistake one day--I am sure you would not want to be defined by that mistake for the rest of your life.

ckimmerle

• http://www.chuckkimmerle.com
« Reply #50 on: March 22, 2012, 07:23:25 pm »

Why do you care whether or not we like this guy? You seem to be taking all this a bit too personally.
"The real voyage of discove

theguywitha645d

« Reply #51 on: March 22, 2012, 07:49:21 pm »

The question should not be whether my tolerance for someone that made and mistake and has paid the penalty is actually strange, but do other hold this the bitterness toward him is. I don't understand this extreme hatred toward other photographers. I don't understand holding irrational grudges against our peers.

Kirk Gittings

• http://www.KirkGittings.com
« Reply #52 on: March 22, 2012, 11:49:26 pm »

Its very very simple in this case. He gave our whole profession a black mark with the NPS and we all pay a price as a result.
Thanks,
Kirk Gittings

Isaac

« Reply #53 on: March 23, 2012, 02:43:33 pm »

Actually, I was just addressing your attitude.
What makes you think that I in any way represent "America"?

(Please, when you comment - "Ah, America..." - about particular remarks, always use the Quote button and include enough text so we can see what you're talking about.)

I agree. But your comments have nothing to do with this photographer's reputation, just your grudge against him. You also seem fixated about the legality of his actions, but the punishment has been paid. Let me knock that chip off your shoulder.

I'd never heard of this photographer or the case against him - so I don't see how it's possible for me to have a grudge against him. I was just seeing where Slobodan's reasoning would take us.

Before you take it upon yourself to correct someone's "attitude" perhaps you should ask them something about their comments - it could be that what you've decided is their "attitude" is no more than your presumption and misreading between the lines.

Beside, you might make a mistake one day--I am sure you would not want to be defined by that mistake for the rest of your life.
To greater or lesser extent, that seems to be how human societies have always functioned, and with the growth of online social networks the weight given to reputation is obviously on the upswing.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 06:38:45 pm by Isaac »

rambler44

« Reply #54 on: March 24, 2012, 01:58:21 pm »

That Rockwell shot of the foliage is amazing. 

I think we start getting in trouble when we use words like "the best". 

I have seen amazing photographs of landscapes, and many were not taken by pros.  But, between a stream and a snow capped mountain view which is "best".  I really do not care.  Who is the best Renaissance artist?  Should a designated hitter with the year's MVP award in baseball.  See what I mean?

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #55 on: March 24, 2012, 02:13:05 pm »

That Rockwell shot of the foliage is amazing. 

I think we start getting in trouble when we use words like "the best"...

I think you have in mind Michael Fatali's shot? Though I understand the confusion: the credit reads "Images via Ken Rockwell", i.e., they were linked from KR site.

Otherwise, I share your view about "the best" in anything.

Mjollnir

« Reply #56 on: March 29, 2012, 06:46:15 pm »

For anyone who's interested, I find the work of Mr. Tal far, far better conceived and executed than anything I've ever seen from Fatali.

http://guytal.com/gtp/gallery/index.jsp

Chris_Brown

• Smile dammit!
    • Chris Brown Photography
« Reply #57 on: March 30, 2012, 12:52:12 pm »

When I want to drop my jaw, I browse Burtynsky's site.
~ CB

Mjollnir

« Reply #58 on: March 30, 2012, 08:26:21 pm »

When I want to drop my jaw, I browse Burtynsky's site.

"Oil Spill #1" is spectacular.

Mjollnir

« Reply #59 on: March 30, 2012, 08:26:56 pm »

Almost forgot my other fave:

Bruce Percy, and yes, he's a Scot.

http://www.brucepercy.co.uk/blog/
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up