Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hommage to the masters of photography  (Read 5953 times)

Holger Broschek

• Holger Broschek Photography
Hommage to the masters of photography
« on: March 09, 2012, 11:51:53 am »

The first one is pretty obvious (see Winter Sunrise, Lone Pine by AA),
the second one is inpsired by the "Places Of Power" series by John Sexton.

Any more examples out there?

http://www.broschek-photo.com

Holger Broschek

Re: Hommage to the masters of photography
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2012, 01:45:06 pm »

Thanks for the kind reply...

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2012, 02:21:58 pm »

Ok... I'll play.

My homage to Peter Eastway:

Egg Rock Lighthouse by Slobodan Blagojevic, on Flickr (For best viewing experience on Flickr, press L or just click on the picture, to see it bigger and on a plain, black background)

Peter Eastway's original photo here.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2012, 04:43:49 pm »

Gee, Isaac, give the guy a break! What are you now, a new forum bully!?

He is new to the forum, posted one of the first photographs, and deserves a gentler welcome than you relentlessly hammering the point.

He apparently visited the States, went to some iconic locations and if he thinks that is his homage to Ansel, so be it. If you have a similar photograph and do not consider it a homage to Ansel, so be it as well. I am not aware of any regulatory body certifying what can and can not be labeled "homage". Sheesh!

Holger Broschek

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2012, 05:57:29 pm »

Thanks for the welcome, Slobodan.
I certainly did not mean to offend anyone (especially not the great masters) but I rather wanted to show my passion for the art and how much some artists have influenced me on my long journey.
Oh, and by the way the Lone Pine image was in fact shot at sunrise, and I thought that the fact that there is cattle grazing in the foreground (instead of the lonely horse) might remind someone of the famous original.
Maybe I should have made a clear point that by homage I do not mean copy...

Wolfman

• www.bernardwolf.com
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2012, 03:12:58 am »

Gee, Isaac, give the guy a break! What are you now, a new forum bully!?

He is new to the forum, posted one of the first photographs, and deserves a gentler welcome than you relentlessly hammering the point.

He apparently visited the States, went to some iconic locations and if he thinks that is his homage to Ansel, so be it. If you have a similar photograph and do not consider it a homage to Ansel, so be it as well. I am not aware of any regulatory body certifying what can and can not be labeled "homage". Sheesh!

+1

Rob C

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2012, 03:47:54 am »

The nature of the beast.

Rob C

shaunw

• Shaun Walby Landscape Photography collections
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2012, 05:09:04 am »

Lone pine....Not one of his best by a long way for me, its comp is average at best, tonal range is lacking and the lone pine isnt acting as any sort of focal point/anchore for the image. I admire the grand master of mono greatly but this is destinctly average work.

The Dam on the ther hand is quite superb..tonal range, clarity, texture and detail ...all the hallmarks are there.
Canon 5D mk II Sigma 10-20, Canon 17-40mm L, Canon 24-105mm L, Canon 70-200 L, Lee Filters, Manfrotto geared head/tripod.

''Twelve significant photographs in any one year is a good crop''. – Ansel Adams
http://www.shaunwalbyphotography.com

Holger Broschek

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2012, 01:23:40 pm »

By homage I mean paying respect to the images of the masters. I do honour what they achieved with their photography which goes far beyond trying to please everybodies taste.
I mean that just as in music the past masters' work is the base upon the later generations built their work.
I hope now it is clear what I mean when I say homage (I don't know how to express any better because English is not my native language)
After all I did not want to start a war about meanings of certain words. I just wanted to see your interpretation of the photographs you admire, but maybe that is just too much to ask for...
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 05:37:08 pm by Holger Broschek »

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2012, 01:54:30 pm »

Isaac, you must be having a bad-hair day or something!? Or, perhaps, you are just experiencing withdrawal symptoms from the ZoranC debate and need a quick fix?

Christoph C. Feldhaim

• There is no rule! No - wait ...
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2012, 05:44:04 pm »

Who is Ansel Adams?
Who is John Sexton?
Don't need no freakin' Ansel or John.
Nice photographs you showed.
Show more!

Alun

Homage to the masters of photography
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2012, 03:35:43 pm »

Hi to all, my first post on here and loving the in-depth conversation and knowledge of other members

How weird is that?! - I shot this about 6 weeks ago and called it "Homage to Ansel" - a reference to my favourite photograph of his; Clearing Winter Storm

Please feel free to click through for a full resolution version

alun.smugmug.com
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 02:51:54 pm by Alun »

Holger Broschek

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2012, 06:03:23 pm »

Now that is what I wanted to see when I started this thread. Great image, Alun! Thanks for posting this one.
I really wonder if there are more people out there willing to share their homages to the masters with us...

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2012, 10:47:03 pm »

Great image, Alun! Thanks for posting this one.
+1.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2012, 11:32:34 pm »

Lone pine....Not one of his best by a long way for me, its comp is average at best, tonal range is lacking and the lone pine isnt acting as any sort of focal point/anchore for the image. I admire the grand master of mono greatly but this is destinctly average work...

Quite right!!! It's high time for someone to debunk those so-called masters and their so-called masterpieces! Why should AA be left out when some others have already been debunked?

rambler44

« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2012, 06:29:38 pm »

Holgar, I am just a bit concerned about the cows.  When our eyes are pulled to the one cow just to the right of center, it appears as a dark rectangular shape.  I wonder if you could clone that one out and place one like the whiteface on the near right.  I would like to see a head.  I would favor a total cow leaving us no doubt as to what it is.  It is a small point and just my preference, but you might try it.  Keep the scale correct, too, if you decide to try it.

I think the photo has a nice sense of depth and works well in black and white.

In your photo at Hoover Dam, I see interesting shapes and lines of the buildings and dramatic mountains in the background. But, my main question to you is, what did you want us to see?  Why did you single out those structures?  What was it about them that interested you.  I do not find my self thinking , wow, look at that.  I do not see the relevance to their location.
I am asking, "Why did you take the picture?"  If it was the buildings, how could you have made their presentation a bit more dramatic for us.  Do this make any sense to you?  Technically, this is a very good shot.  It is the art that is missing for me!
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 06:44:34 pm by rambler44 »
Pages: [1]   Go Up