Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cost to replace Canon 5d Mark 2 shutter  (Read 8822 times)

tsinsf

Cost to replace Canon 5d Mark 2 shutter
« on: March 06, 2012, 12:24:54 am »

I'm trying to figure out if an upgrade to the new 5D Mark 3 is worth it for me. My current 5D Mark 2 works fine but is pushing 200,000 actuations so the shutter is on borrowed time. Has anybody had their shutter replaced by the Canon Factory recently? How much did it cost? Thanks.

ckimmerle

• http://www.chuckkimmerle.com
Re: Cost to replace Canon 5d Mark 2 shutter
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 12:50:50 am »

Replacing the shutter on my Nikon D3x was about $600. Canon will probably be in that ball park.
"The real voyage of discove

Rob C

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 03:35:47 am »

Replacing the shutter on my Nikon D3x was about $600. Canon will probably be in that ball park.

That's interesting information, Chuck; it puts a wholly different perspective on camera changing (upgrades) than might otherwise be the case. I get a sneaking supsicion that that may be the incentive driving such pricing schemes/structures. And possibly why independent repair shops have had a tought time getting official spares. New camera sales are key.

Rob C

dreed

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 03:43:12 am »

That's interesting information, Chuck; it puts a wholly different perspective on camera changing (upgrades) than might otherwise be the case. I get a sneaking supsicion that that may be the incentive driving such pricing schemes/structures. And possibly why independent repair shops have had a tought time getting official spares. New camera sales are key.

The cost base is going to be significantly different.

Someone has to disassemble the camera to the point that they can replace the camera and then put it back together again.

That work is likely to be done on-site in a facility such as the one in Los Angeles, so you're not paying for cheap Asian manufacturers but for expensive American service people.

Rob C

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 02:40:52 pm »

I understand your point; however, it still maks repair v. replace less easy an option to decide. I also wonder just how 'cheap' those eastern workers really are these days - Japanese firms making stuff in China doesn't speak of a status quo that's going to remain very steady for very long...

Today, Nissan announced they're opening a new car line in northern England, producing a brand new model. Seems the UK now has the most efficient car production line in the world, up in Sunderland. Flux, flux and flux. Reminds me of the 50s/60s when England had lots of car manufacturers and slowly lost the lot, bar Jaguar, Rolls and Bentley, along with a few maveric sports car makers who came and went and broke lots of hearts on the way. Rotten design and build, suicidal workers and defeated managements. Like all such empires, they died from within. UK Ford and Vauxhall/Opel (GM) survived because of massive US transfusions and resources. US domestic history almost mirrors it, and would, were it not for bail-outs of proportions so massive to be almost beyond belief.

Perhaps it's something that's inevitable: we consume on credit, most of the time, and can't really afford all this junk. I suppose it's all a gigantic Ponzi at heart, a swirl of illusion that drives appetites and glosses over the realities underlying the entire system. But what's the alternative? The Dark Ages.

Rob C

MrSmith

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, 02:43:44 pm »

a friend had a 5d shutter replaced and it was cheap at around £150+vat which i thought was good value. she killed it shooting 1000's of fashion/catalog images every week. 1st shutter lasted well over it's rated amount.

Rob C

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2012, 02:45:42 pm »

a friend had a 5d shutter replaced and it was cheap at around £150+vat which i thought was good value. she killed it shooting 1000's of fashion/catalog images every week. 1st shutter lasted well over it's rated amount.

Your friend's a lucky lady!

Rob C
Pages: [1]   Go Up