Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Opinions on Nikon Factory Service for sensor cleaning  (Read 9963 times)

Jan Morales

• Jan Morales Photography
Opinions on Nikon Factory Service for sensor cleaning
« on: March 04, 2012, 09:55:19 am »

I am contemplating switching from Canon to a Nikon D800E, and I have a question. My practice is to send my camera in to Canon a couple of times a year for sensor cleaning. My experience with this has been positive--no problems in several years, and with CPS they were fast and no extra charge.

What are people's experience with sensor cleaning with Nikon Factory Service? NPS membership requirements are far more stringent than CPS so I won't have that. I'm curious to know about the cost, time, and quality of Nikon out-of-warranty sensor cleaning? The Melville (USA) location is closest to me.

Thanks!

gigdagefg

Re: Opinions on Nikon Factory Service for sensor cleaning
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 11:34:03 am »

I am sad to report that my experience with Nikon service is not too good Their communication is at best barely adequate and their turn around time is extremely slow

Stanley

bjammin

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 02:52:21 pm »

I've sent a D300 and D7000 to the Nikon Los Angeles Center for service (and asked to have the sensors cleaned) and I can say the cameras came back pristine. I examined them with a Visible Dust Sensor Loupe and did test shots using my 14-24 mm lens set to F22 on a bright white card (a worst case scenario for dust) and results were perfect.

bjammin

Colorado David

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 03:15:48 pm »

I use an factory authorized independent repair shop.  I know the guy personally and call ahead for an appointment when I know I'll be driving through the town where he's located.  He cleans the sensors on all my camera bodies while I wait.  I do this a couple of times per year and get excellent results.

rogan

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 06:34:12 pm »

From a former CPS member and now a current NPS member, it isn't close. Nikon's pro service sucks. Terrible with communication and slow!
Canon's CPS is truly amazing. Nikon's quility of work is fine but the people you talk to have no idea what they are talking about(they just read back the vague request form to you) and it's returned when they get around to it. Call canon and you can actually get a manager from CPS on the line.
Totally thrilled with my Nikon switch but they really need to fix NPS

Walt Roycraft

• roycraftart
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, 04:49:57 pm »

Nikon service is pretty bad.  They could do a good job on an occasion but as stated
their communication is very bad.
But I do love their products.
Walter Roycraft
http://www.roycraftart.c

Jan Morales

How about Authorized Photo Service (APS)?
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2012, 10:58:42 am »

Thank you for all the replies. So how about Authorized Photo Service (APS) then? Is that a better experience? I would love to know there's a go-to place for maintenance and repairs.

schrodingerscat

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2012, 12:20:13 am »

Are you referring to a particular facility? Nikon calls their authorized shops Authorized Service Centers. This means that they've contracted with Nikon and have maintained the manuals, tools, and parts supplies that Nikon deems necessary. It does not mean they've completed training on all equipment.

As of June of this year they will be the only places in the US that will be able to perform most repairs, as Nikon USA has announced they will cease selling parts to independent shops(and dealers and the public) at that time. Unfortunately they have also started decreasing the number of ASC shops, or shops have been dropping them due to the cost of maintaining authorized status. This means shipping to a facility for most folks, even for a minor parts replacement. And it will be up to each shop to determine whether they are going to do 'partial repairs', Nikon Service doesn't.

As for sensor cleaning is concerned, there's no voodoo involved and the authorized shops are no more competent then the independents. Same goes for most repairs as well.

Jan Morales

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2012, 05:02:41 am »

I was referring to Authorized Photo Service (http://nikoncamerarepair.com) in Morton Grove, Illinois.

Mike Guilbault

• Mike Guilbault Photography
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2012, 09:47:26 pm »

All I can say is that I receive excellent service through NPS in Toronto.  I dropped off one of my cameras one morning, expecting it to be at least a few days, and there was a message on my answering machine when I got back to the studio saying it was ready to pickup!
Mike Guilbault

Scott O.

• Photography by Scott and Joyce
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2012, 05:29:42 pm »

I have used Nikon El Segundo many times.  There service has always been prompt (2 weeks max) and they fixed/cleaned what they were supposed to.  But they do get low marks on communication, which is too bad considering how good other parts of the process are.

philg

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2012, 09:50:58 pm »

With regard to Authorized Photo Service, I had them fix a D2x power supply problem and some lens problems for me in March 2009. Since they were in the D2x they cleaned the sensor. Great job.

I am taking a D800 in for cleaning tomorrow. I will let you know how that goes.

philg

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2012, 08:48:17 pm »

Authorized Photo Service did a great job on my D800. The oil spill (slight exaggeration) is completely gone. Did it for free. They indicated it was the first D800 they had seen. They had already done some work on a D4.

I highly recommend them. He said most of their business is mailed in, but they have walk in traffic. I dropped it off at 10:30am and picked it up at 2pm same day. When down town Chicago and did some shopping in the meantime.
Pages: [1]   Go Up