Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Le Book  (Read 7186 times)

G_Allen

• http://www.plasticimage.com
Le Book
« on: February 24, 2012, 06:57:39 pm »

Hi,

Does anyone here appear in Le Book? Is it worth it?

I'm looking for experiences or alternatives.

Thanks!

fredjeang

Re: Le Book
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 03:47:34 am »

Le Book...

mmm.

It very much depends on who you are talking to and the interests involved, as it seems.

One international name "old fox" with wich I assist sometimes, with a long carrier and contacts in the ww stratosphere and impressive CV has been rejected recently to figured in "Le Book".
Reason? : too many photographs displayed in his website.  Of course this is not the real reason, there is something else behind, but I ignore what to date.

I don't really know if it's worth today. My impression is that it looks in decadence but you'd need more imputs.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 04:16:04 am by fredjeang »

fredjeang

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 05:09:14 am »

I need to have more imput and ask to more-and the right persons. So far I just have one very negative imput, but from a guy wich words I listen. The echo I have is that there are currently a bunch of arrogant and inexperienced people involved in it with decision-power. But to take with caution. In those cases many things can be involved.  

Their website is incredibly slow to operate each time I visited it, the searching section works at a turtle speed. (I have a fast connection). I'd give up immediatly if I was an AD. This, in itself is very little serious.

LeBook had its glory days but I'm not sure we are talking about the same standart now.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 05:42:28 am by fredjeang »

MrSmith

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 06:19:49 am »

i get emails from them asking to join but it's very euro/fashion/editorial and not something a london based still life photographer would be interested in.
and by still-life i don't mean perfume bottles and lipsticks. if you are that kind of photographer then i guess it's worth a punt if it's not silly money.

Rob C

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 09:54:45 am »

My view is that people in advertising/fashion, looking for photographers, have always known where to find them without reference to any books or catalogues... It's a relatively tight wee world, small and utterly incestuous.

Have fun.

Rob C

ziocan

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2012, 07:20:00 am »

My view is that people in advertising/fashion, looking for photographers, have always known where to find them without reference to any books or catalogues... It's a relatively tight wee world, small and utterly incestuous.

Have fun.

Rob C
I agree.

I appeared on it for few seasons, ( my agents were paying for it) and I was also awarded a few times for some Fashion commercial work, which my agent submitted.
 I do not know if I ever got some jobs out of it, but fair to be said, some old clients that lost track of me were able to find me throug le book. Today the may likely use google instead and my web site will pop up on top of the list.

A friend of mine, also fashio photographer, was able to get a client via le book, who offered him a 6 figures contract. That was about 3 years ago.
Today, I do not think le book and other similar catalogues are so relevant, especially at the money they are asking for.

TMARK

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2012, 10:09:53 am »

I did Le Book for a few years, when it was a book(s), not a web site.  Last time was 2004 or 2005.  In those days it worked, but there was a shift going on, the old hands dropping out, replaced by spoiled children, or so it seemed. 

The web and personal contacts worked much better for me.

One way I used Le Book was to find set builders/MUA's etc.  I would seek personal recomendations and if they were also in Le Book, I figured I'd take a chance and set up a meeting.  I figured, rightly, that if tehy were recomended by someone I liked, and they put up the coin to be in Le Book, they might be legit.

Ziocan's comments above are spot on, and Fred's post seems about right too.
Pages: [1]   Go Up