Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Genuinely interesting: Oloneo photo engine  (Read 13238 times)

Stephane Desnault

Genuinely interesting: Oloneo photo engine
« on: February 21, 2012, 03:10:50 am »

I'm surprised that the the Oloneo photo engine hasn't made more of a splash in the community of photographers. I am not linked to that company, so I don't have any vested interest in pushing the software to anyone... I just thought I'd mention it here, for anyone that might be interested.

It does things that I haven't seen out of the box in other software:

- After the fact lighting: A very interesting tool for object and interior photography: Take several images of an object under different lighting conditions, and combine the lighting AFTER THE FACT in post processing, adjusting color balance for each light individually.

- Image stacking to remove noise: Take several similar images of an object, and OPE will stack them together to greatly remove noise.

- HDR: A VERY FAST preview, and intuitive sliders to create HDR images. I'm a long time user of Photomatix (since version 1), and I now often come to OPE instead.

The company home page can be found at www.oloneo.com . They're also selling a stripped down version that does only HDR.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
Re: Genuinely interesting: Oloneo photo engine
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 03:28:19 am »

It doesn't work on Macs.

Jeremy

francois

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 03:43:35 am »

Francois

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 07:32:14 pm »

It does work in VMWare Fusion though.

Cheers,
Bernard

sniper

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 10:49:39 am »

Having tried it I wasn't that impressed, it might be quick but I didn't think much of the HDR effect, IMHO nothing like as good as Photomatix.

As for relight it's easily enough done in Photoshop if you really have to relight an image, although I seem to have managed without having to do it all these years.

My big dislike was the default turn everything yellow, I did figure out how to turn it off it's still applied by default every time I try to use OPE.
Not for me I'm afraid.

Keith Reeder

• Capture The Moment
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2012, 02:17:54 pm »

Take several images of an object under different lighting conditions, and combine the lighting AFTER THE FACT in post processing, adjusting color balance for each light individually.

No real value to a bird photographer.

Take several similar images of an object, and OPE will stack them together to greatly remove noise.

No real value to... well, you get the idea. That's why it never made a splash with me.
Keith Reeder
Blyth, NE England

thierrylegros396

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2014, 04:30:27 am »

Anyone convinced with new version of Oloneo?!

Thierry

I'm surprised that the the Oloneo photo engine hasn't made more of a splash in the community of photographers. I am not linked to that company, so I don't have any vested interest in pushing the software to anyone... I just thought I'd mention it here, for anyone that might be interested.

It does things that I haven't seen out of the box in other software:

- After the fact lighting: A very interesting tool for object and interior photography: Take several images of an object under different lighting conditions, and combine the lighting AFTER THE FACT in post processing, adjusting color balance for each light individually.

- Image stacking to remove noise: Take several similar images of an object, and OPE will stack them together to greatly remove noise.

- HDR: A VERY FAST preview, and intuitive sliders to create HDR images. I'm a long time user of Photomatix (since version 1), and I now often come to OPE instead.

The company home page can be found at www.oloneo.com . They're also selling a stripped down version that does only HDR.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2014, 09:51:06 am »

It does work in VMWare Fusion though.
Considering that any modern Intel Mac can run Windows, I'll suggest the comments from Mac users (and I agree) isn't about their inability to run the product as you suggest.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Misirlou

• http://
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2014, 12:58:19 pm »

I used to use Oloneo a lot, but I like the latest version of Photomatx better at the moment (mostly because it's antighosting has worked so well for me in the latest image sets I processed). In between, HDR Efex Pro was pretty appealing. I don't get a lot of joy out of the Photoshop merge, but I know a lot of people swear by it.

I should probably go back and try all of them on some of my favorite HRD targets when I get a chance. The thing is, they all have such an enormous variety of settings available now that they're pretty much impossible to compare apples to apples. Heck, unless an app allows me to save a specific project with all its settings, I can't seem to ever go back and repeat an HDR process, even using the same program, later anyway.

thierrylegros396

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2014, 01:52:01 pm »

I used to use Oloneo a lot, but I like the latest version of Photomatx better at the moment (mostly because it's antighosting has worked so well for me in the latest image sets I processed). In between, HDR Efex Pro was pretty appealing. I don't get a lot of joy out of the Photoshop merge, but I know a lot of people swear by it.

I should probably go back and try all of them on some of my favorite HRD targets when I get a chance. The thing is, they all have such an enormous variety of settings available now that they're pretty much impossible to compare apples to apples. Heck, unless an app allows me to save a specific project with all its settings, I can't seem to ever go back and repeat an HDR process, even using the same program, later anyway.

Yes often too much settings for me!

But I'm looking for something that delivers very natural result.

Oloneo seems to be one of the candidate.

Have a Nice Day.

Thierry

Misirlou

• http://
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2014, 06:46:51 pm »

Yes often too much settings for me!

But I'm looking for something that delivers very natural result.

Oloneo seems to be one of the candidate.

Have a Nice Day.

Thierry

Thierry,

The latest versions of all of them can get a pretty natural look. For example, Photomatx has two pathways. The one called "exposure fusion" can look very natural if you want it to. The presets aren't likely to do that for you though. When shooting HDR outdoors, I generally start with the exposure fusion "real estate" preset, and tweak from there.

But, the default settings on Oloneo are pretty good.
Pages: [1]   Go Up