Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: PC vs Mac Versions of Capture One  (Read 10009 times)

anile4

PC vs Mac Versions of Capture One
« on: February 19, 2012, 05:17:43 am »

I am told by everyone to go Mac.  But it would suit me to load Capture One Pro on a PC.   I am buying an IQ180.   What is the experience of others?

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
Re: PC vs Mac Versions of Capture One
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 02:28:29 pm »

I am told by everyone to go Mac.  But it would suit me to load Capture One Pro on a PC.   I am buying an IQ180.   What is the experience of others?

Functionality is 99% identical.

I prefer Mac in general, and if you're tethering the built-in firewire simplifies things considerably (the IQ USB port is not yet enabled, pending a firmware update).

But otherwise, as far as Capture One is concerned use whatever platform you are most comfortable with.

If at all possible use a PC (or upgrade your PC) with a video card on the supported list:
http://www.phaseone.com/en/search/article.aspx?articleid=1720&languageid=1

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Mamiya Leaf, Leica, Arca Swiss, Cambo, Profoto, LaCie, Canon, TTI, Broncolor & More

National: 877.217.9870  |  Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

Gandalf

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 11:59:21 pm »

pindman

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 11:34:17 pm »

Windows version works fine.  Now have do keep Outlook from crashing Win 7 :)

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 11:42:22 pm »

Some people prefer Macs, some prefer PCs. Neither is measurably better than the other.
Both OSes are very good and both are very annoying, just in different places.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

ComputerDork

• C1, LR, PS
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2012, 08:51:43 pm »

I think the key decision point is that all the artsy types will think you're cooler if you use a mac.

Actually I use macs because I just like the OS X UI and such better, and OS X has Unix-like stuff under the hood that I already know how to use rather than Windows NT-based stuff that I don't know much about and don't like based on what little I do know about it. Other than UI preference, I don't think the other stuff is going to matter to 99% of people.

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2012, 04:38:51 pm »

I have been using Capture One tethered to Win Xp via 3.7x and it is super snapppy and I have yet to have the system or C1 crash. Honestly Only times I have had my PC's crash was when I had SSD installed or some software that wasn't compatible 100% I tried 6 with WinXp, it was super slow and not worth it. I switched to another system running Win7 64bit and all smooth, a little slower than the WinXp3.78 setup but doable.

I think most PC users have issues as they visit sites that wreek havoc on their systems.  I have 8 PC's and 2 Mac G5. The Mac collect dust as my main SW is on the PC, and they are easily upgradable and interchangable FOR ME. The MAcs look good when a client sees it and feels confirmation that I am an artistic person. I think the bottom line is if you can afford a MAC Quad or 6 or * core system without a sweat, AND you don't like bothering with folders and how the files are ?managed", go with MAC. But if you are comfortable with Windows File manager and you know your way around systems, go PC.  For C1, I wonder which is more stable, but I don't know, and have had only a couple glitches in C1V6.1 or .2?  but it was quickly updated.

If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

Keith Reeder

• Capture The Moment
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2012, 07:54:33 pm »

Some people prefer Macs, some prefer PCs. Neither is measurably better than the other.

In the context of this thread, the "Active Topics" view of the Phase One board is quite illuminating - a high number of problem posts are in the "Capture One 6.x Software for Mac" forum: http://forum.phaseone.com/en/search.php?search_id=active_topics...

To add to that, Cap One 6 is as solid as a rock and fast as you like on my Win 7 64 bit box.
Keith Reeder
Blyth, NE England
Pages: [1]   Go Up