Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Which compact?  (Read 5891 times)

jrp

Which compact?
« on: February 16, 2012, 03:40:36 pm »

There are a number of compact cameras available as candidates for complements to my DSLR.  (For those accasions when using the full gear is not appropriate.)

Which should I go for, if trying to get saleable pictures:

• Sony NEX-7/5
  • Pros: Available, interchangeable lenses, ability to use existing lenses with convertor, good sensors/resolution, automation (hdr, panos, etc)
  • Cons: Size -- not sufficiently small/more compact than DSLR, not cheap

• Fuji X-Pro 1
  • Pros: compact, expected image quality, ergonomics
  • Cons: limited lens range, not yet available

• Canon G1X
  • Pros: size, lens /image quality
  • Cons: fixed lens, usabilty
[/list]

Any thoughts?

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
Re: Which compact?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 03:52:16 pm »

Any thoughts?

Use the search feature?  Really, this is one of the most common threads on the forum and it's been done to death.  There's a wealth of good information available with just a bit of work. 
----------------------------------------------
http://www.BangkokImages.com

jalcocer

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 04:52:43 pm »

That's right, you'll may be able to find different posts about the different options you are thinking about. But to help out a bit, Michael recently did a review on the sony nex 7 very complete, covering every aspect including compatibility with other lenses. There are also some posts talking about the g1x and I believe also about the fuji x1 pro.

good luck!

armand

• Photos
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 07:54:28 pm »

Somehow I am in the same situation. I think I will go for the Olympus OM-D as a more compact, weatherproof hiking/light travel camera.
I still need something more compact (Canon S100, Nikon J1?) plus I will go in vacation before the above is released and I need a backup. Decisions, decisions ...

jalcocer

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2012, 08:00:30 pm »

Somehow I am in the same situation. I think I will go for the Olympus OM-D as a more compact, weatherproof hiking/light travel camera.
I still need something more compact (Canon S100, Nikon J1?) plus I will go in vacation before the above is released and I need a backup. Decisions, decisions ...

Don't know if the Fuji X10 is on your list, I don't know why that camera really really strikes me, I'll get one as soon as I save a bit of extra cash. This whole studio stuff completely blowed my budget, but sooner or later I'll get that little beauty.

About those two, the J1 seems nice, altough the canon covers a nice range and have really nice low light performance.

armand

• Photos
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2012, 08:22:02 pm »

It was, but it doesn't offer a big size advantage over something like OM-D and I don't want redundant cameras. And in that range I would probably prefer a Nikon P7100 (more zoom, more versatile).
J1 is not that small either (an not as cheap as it should be) but has 2 advantages: anybody could theoretically take good pictures without fiddling with the settings and allows me not to carry a dedicated videocam too often. V1 looks nicer but it gets a little too big, too expensive and I have to carry a flash.
S100's main advantage is size. I have a S90 but a pretty large spec of dust got into the lens and I cannot take it out. I tried disassembling it but after 30+ screws I decided it won't happen. I'm surprised it's still working after I put it back. Pictures were good and I was mostly happy with it, but that spec shouldn't have entered that easily.

Probably I need 4-5 cameras to do what I want in 3  ;D

1. Small compact, good quality, take anywhere - Canon S100
1b. a compromise to the above - a pocket superzoom

2. Portable, take in the bag or coat camera with good image quality - Nikon J1/V1 (good for video also)

3. Portable, very good quality for light travel/light hiking, weatherproofing a plus - Olympus OM-D (alt: Panasonic G3 or GX1), ? Nex 5N/7

4. Excellent quality, mostly for dedicated photo trips or when size/weight is less of an issue: Nikon DX format (which I have) vs upgrading to full frame. Quality wise probably makes less sense these days unless you want to print very big (D800), more for better lenses and theoretically more creative control

Anybody needs as many or more?

jalcocer

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2012, 08:36:07 pm »

There's never enough, :D, I have a thing for cameras my self, at the moment just my dslr and a lumix gf2, but the lumix is still bulky for some on the go shooting, had the 14 2.5 and commited the crime to go for the kit for an extra range, man, I should save bit more and went for a zuiko 45 1.8 or a 25 1.4, but well, I guess won't have trouble selling that glass.

Few weeks after buying the gf2 for sale, found the store got the X10 and asked to see it, man is smaller and feels amazing in the hands, so solid and at the same time smaller to what I'm used to, could go for an s100 but I want that fuji, :)

any way, there's never enough!

stever

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2012, 11:40:49 pm »

having spent more time than justified trying to get good images from an X10, i feel pretty strongly that it cannot take images that would be accepted for stock photography or generally considered to be saleable

in addition to the NEX and G1X i think you should add the micro 4/3 cameras to your list (i ended up with a Panny GX1 and Xzoom).  micro 4/3 (particularly the GH2, G3, and GX1 with the latest sensor) provide resolution and high ISO noise levels that are very close to the best APSC with a better selection of lenses that are both compact and reasonably high-IQ

marcmccalmont

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2012, 12:22:47 am »

We all want a G1x with a NEX5 sensor and a Leica lens but in the end we end up with a semi pocketable  camera (G1x) an apsc one lens travel camera (K5) and a multi lens full frame serious camera (5DII)
Marc
Marc McCalmont

jalcocer

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2012, 08:32:59 am »

Sad to hear the images from the x10 aren't that good, but that camera is so beautiful, damn!! too bad don't have place on my budget for a leica x1 or a fuji x100. Really thought would get better images from the x10.

DeeJay

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2012, 12:25:14 pm »

Leica X1. The new Sigma DP1 or 2 Merrill looks worth the wait to check it out too.

armand

• Photos
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2012, 02:12:16 pm »

Leica X1. The new Sigma DP1 or 2 Merrill looks worth the wait to check it out too.

Maybe I'm missing something but wouldn't I get the Fuji X100 instead, if I was to choose that type of camera? I mean besides the Leica name.

DeeJay

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2012, 04:00:27 pm »

Personally I chose the Leica X1 over the Fuji for the astounding image quality, the lens that doesn't distort (important for this kind of camera if you want to shoot portraits) the simplicity of design, super simple operation, pocketable size.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 04:08:05 pm by DeeJay »

lowep

• http://sites.google.com/site/peterlowefoto/
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2012, 07:30:37 am »

"Leica X1 over the Fuji for the astounding image quality"

Is this due to the lens, processing, sensor, fairy dust, wishful thinking.... in other words is there anything about the imaging components and the way they are put together that sets the X1 apart from others apart from the price tag and the red dot?

DeeJay

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2012, 10:35:50 am »

Go to flickr.com do a search and judge for your self. There's also a lot of comparisons around on the net. Make your own mind up. I really do prefer the way the Leica images look.

Have a look at this guy's X1 collection:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sparth/sets/72157625708420826/

in answer to your questions, it's a combination the lens and sensor. The micro contrast is very rich in detail, more so than my Canon dSLR's. The colour rendering is lovely. I really like the way it draws the images. The 100% crops are mind blowing and very sharp for a camera this small. It's an incredible feat of engineering. But also the sensor is excellent too. The shadow and highlight detail is really very good. I'm really happy with high ISO and general noise. The size, the simplicity of design. You can shoot 4 frames in just over a second. It then pauses while it clears the buffer. It's a brilliant feature for capture. It has a unique manual focus feature that I love and use all the time which makes the capture instant. It feels lovely to use because it's so uncluttered. It really is dSLR quality in a compact. It doesn't shoot movies though which although I'm not fussed about would be nice. AF is a tiny bit slower than the Fuji but it doesn't bother me. All of these kinds of cameras could benefit from faster AF. Image quality is what is important to me I could care less about what brand it is.

The Fuji lens has barrel distortion which isn't flattering for portraits with a wider angle lens. Yes you can reduce it in lightroom or whatever but it's not the same. The Leica has no distortion. This is a big factor for me. I hate the effects of barrel distortion on a portrait.

The camera is very discreet. The shutter can be switched to silent. It is more compact like and less distracting when taking photos. You can get a black model and tape up the red dot as I did, wear black gloves and no one sees it.

There is a general misconception about this brand that people but it for the red dot. I think people need to get over that and just try the camera for them selves. I was blown away by the results of it.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 10:46:35 am by DeeJay »

Scott O.

• Photography by Scott and Joyce
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2012, 11:27:15 am »

Sad to hear the images from the x10 aren't that good, but that camera is so beautiful, damn!! too bad don't have place on my budget for a leica x1 or a fuji x100. Really thought would get better images from the x10.

I have a very good friend who is a professional photographer.  His back-up camera is the X10 and he absolutely loves it.  In fact, he is thinking of upgrading to the new X-Pro 1 version when it becomes available.  Perhaps you could get your hands on one (rent?) and make a decision for yourself.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 11:31:06 am by soberle »

lowep

• http://sites.google.com/site/peterlowefoto/
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2012, 12:04:42 pm »

it's a combination the lens and sensor

Leica X1 has a Sony sensor, right? Which one? Here some say same as Nikon D90. Right or wrong?

No doubt it is a Leica lens :-)

That only leaves how they talk together?

jrp

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2012, 02:40:40 pm »

Thanks for all your replies.

I did see a lot of comments on individual cameras in the forum, but did not come across one that compared them.

Anyway, in the end I went for the NEX-7.  What swayed me was (a) access to interchangeable lenses.  (b) Sony's tech features (eg, auto pano, Dynamic Range Optimization, HDR).

The interface takes a bit of getting used to, but the camera is fun to use, when configured.

The lenses are, reportedly, not that great (although I have seen worse MTFs http://www.docs.sony.com/release/specs/2011_a_Lens_and_Lens_Accy_Brochure_mksp.pdf)
although my initial impression is reasonably favourable.  I have not yet got any adapters for Leica, Nikon, etc (another quest in itself).

The RAW convertor is a bit clunky, but I hope that Lightroom 4 will suffice.

jalcocer

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2012, 08:43:28 pm »

I have a very good friend who is a professional photographer.  His back-up camera is the X10 and he absolutely loves it.  In fact, he is thinking of upgrading to the new X-Pro 1 version when it becomes available.  Perhaps you could get your hands on one (rent?) and make a decision for yourself.

well, here in my country there are no options for renting, but I think I can go to the store and give it a go with one of my sd cards, I know is not a dslr or even a m 4/3, but some comments really talk about good quality of the pictures. I want it for the on the go shoot, more personal stuff and other shots where it's only a matter of taking it out of your pocket, no changing lenses, just turn on and shoot.

thanks for the comment, I really want this camera, it's a true beauty, I guess would be better than a lx5 which as far as I know is a really good performer.

regards

Fips

• some unrelated photos on flickr
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2012, 11:20:19 am »

Have a look at this guy's X1 collection:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sparth/sets/72157625708420826/

I agree that Mr. Bouvier's pictures are stunning but I wouldn't say that they are saying much about the quality of the X1 (don't get me wrong, I'm not saying anything against it!). He is using all sorts of cameras and achieves consistent looks. Even when using a tiny-sensored Ricoh in jpg-mode. That's rather saying something about his photography and post-processing skills and not so much about the quality of a certain camera model.
Pages: [1]   Go Up