Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A view of Mt. Whitney  (Read 2479 times)

tom w

A view of Mt. Whitney
« on: February 16, 2012, 01:12:21 am »

An image made during a trip to Lone Pine, CA before Christmas.

popnfresh

Re: A view of Mt. Whitney
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 12:28:05 pm »

It would be better to post a jpeg than a .psd file. Not everyone has Photoshop or Lightroom.

Richowens

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 02:13:11 pm »

Here is a jpg of tom's photo

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 02:31:15 pm »

It would be better to post a jpeg than a .psd file. Not everyone has Photoshop or Lightroom.
Safari, on my Mac, displayed it perfectly well.

Jeremy

popnfresh

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 03:35:23 pm »

The foreground looks like it was masked out and processed separately from the background.

tom w

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 04:01:24 pm »

Sorry for the oversight in posting a .psd file.
There is no masking in this photo. Looks compressed because it was shot with a 125mm lens on an aps-c sensor.

jalcocer

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2012, 06:00:58 pm »

thanks for the .jpg, looks good, but I also think they feel like separate images,

Kerry L

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2012, 08:23:04 pm »

I like the slight compression created by your choice of lens. Balancing the foreground and background luminosity would improve the image. I'd likey tone down sky blue to make the clouds stand out more.

Certainly there's the makings of a good image here.
"Try and let your mind see more than you

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2012, 01:05:31 pm »

There is no masking in this photo. Looks compressed because it was shot with a 125mm lens on an aps-c sensor.

Yes I agree, obviously a single shot.

I think the reason the image (which has excellent composition BTW) looks like it is in two parts even though it isn't, is because you have quite a bit of midday haze visible on the distant mountains and not on the rocks closer to you. This can be a problem when stacking or compressing near/far elements within a single shot, especially in the middle of the day when the sun it at its zenith. The blue haze is made up of very small droplets of water surrounding even smaller particles of dust, because as the heat rises, the dust rises and attracts water out of the atmosphere etc. This atmospheric phenomenon becomes more apparent the further away you are shooting from the subject, as the depth of the air/haze you are shooting through increases and less so the nearer to the subject, where the air/haze is decreased relative to you.

You can sometimes eliminate some of the dreaded blue haze with a polariser, or try shooting early/late in the day when the sun is not so intense and the dust has settled, or another good time is after a good down pour of rain when the air has been washed and the dust is stuck on the ground and everything looks crisp and you can see for miles, or when it is very cold which will also work.

Dave
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 01:07:13 pm by Dave (Isle of Skye) »
Pages: [1]   Go Up