Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: D800 v D3x  (Read 6749 times)

aaron

• http://
D800 v D3x
« on: February 13, 2012, 05:35:24 pm »

Another D800 thread  ;D

I have a D800E on order but have been offered a lightly used D3x for about $1,500 more.....

So the obvious question is which to go for?

Disregarding video, could the D800 really offer much resolution or file quality over the D3x? and if so- under what circumstances? locked down on a tripod only?

I knows it's a bit of a guess at this stage but any opinions appreciated,

Aaron

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
Re: D800 v D3x
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 05:52:17 pm »

Based on my actual experiences so far, I can conclusively say that I have always preferred the camera with the larger, more mega-pixeled sensor!  :)

D800(e).  For $1500 less, go for it.  Just think about all the nasty dust bunnies that have accumulated on that D3X sensor, yuck!   :)

Oh wait, does the D3X have a visibly bigger viewfinder image?  Oh darn, here we go!

And I very much enjoyed the somewhat smaller body size when I went D2X->5D2.

gubaguba

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 05:53:28 pm »

D3x delivers some really nice files.  That said its a couple years old technology wise.  I would stick with the D800 which is an unknown but unless you need it now you can afford to wait. Like you said there is the video option as well.  Not to mention newer processor, newest autofocus.  Technology marches on.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 05:56:56 pm »

Another D800 thread  ;D

I have a D800E on order but have been offered a lightly used D3x for about $1,500 more.....

So the obvious question is which to go for?

Disregarding video, could the D800 really offer much resolution or file quality over the D3x? and if so- under what circumstances? locked down on a tripod only?

The D3x is an amazing camera, no doubt:
- amazing DR and super clean files,
- built like a tank - a camera you can really forget about in the field, it just works,
- amazing battery life.

The reasons why I decided to sell it a few months back and generate enough cash to buy a D800e and a D7000 were:
- the potential for even more resolution reducing the need to do multi-row panos,
- smaller and lighter package,
- ability to shoot images in a row without having to lower the mirror (key for pano shooting),
- smarter auto-iso enabling the auto linking of the minimum shutter speed to the actual aperture of the lens - this will result in higher image quality for non moving subjects while keeping the ability to define a fixed minimum shutter speed (good for action),
- I hardly ever use the built-in vertical grip,
- video that may come handy because of some family reasons.

Now, was it a good decision or not? Only the analysis of actual images will tell. There is certain risk on some metrics, starting with cold weather battery life where I do not have field data about the D800.

Cheers,
Bernard

wthurman

• http://www.wendythurman.com
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 07:16:58 am »

I've a D3x now and a D800e on order.  I plan to keep the D3x as I have an Aquatica housing for it; camera housings are expensive and I'm not of a mind to replace it anytime soon.  I can definitely see the D800e becoming my above-water camera for the reasons Bernard mentions but the D3x has a lot of life left in it yet- several more years, in my case.  I hope :)

BJL

Re: D800 v D3x: same 100% 0.7x OVF
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 09:43:46 am »

Oh wait, does the D3X have a visibly bigger viewfinder image?  Oh darn, here we go!
No: the two cameras seem to have identical OVF specs of 07.x magnification, 100% coverage.
By the way, the D800 has an upgraded AF module compared to the D3X's.

(Memo to Canon 5D series designers: DSLRs costing over $2000 should always have your top-of-the-line, 100% coverage OVF; more so with EVF's always offering 100% coverage in both mirrorless and Sony SLT alternatives.)

aaron

• http://
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2012, 01:27:01 pm »

Thanks for your replies everyone,

After years of sub $8000 drought, Nikon is spoiling us  ;D

I am thinking passing on the D3x, the reasons to go for it over the D800 for me are just the superior battery system. No doubt the D3x is tougher but i have found the D700 series to be tough enough...

I would also prefer the dual CF slots in the D3x but CF & Sd will do.

It's been said that the liveview on the D800 is improved also over the D3x so if true, thats a big plus for the D800.

So long as there's no D4X rumours before the D800 hits the shelves then I am good!

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2012, 04:52:21 pm »

I am thinking passing on the D3x, the reasons to go for it over the D800 for me are just the superior battery system. No doubt the D3x is tougher but i have found the D700 series to be tough enough...

If I am not mistaken the battery pack of the D800 uses the same batteries as the D4, so the autonomy should be similar.

Cheers,
Bernard

Colorado David

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2012, 02:52:06 pm »

D800 uses the same battery as the D7000.  For the difference in price you can buy a handful of the new battery.

jeverton

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2012, 04:54:06 pm »

So long as there's no D4X rumours before the D800 hits the shelves then I am good!

Ohhh... It's just a matter of time and the technology evolution will continue  ;) D4X, D5 ???

Dennis Carbo

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2012, 02:33:06 pm »

- ability to shoot images in a row without having to lower the mirror (key for pano shooting),

Hi Bernard,

Can you clarify this ?  What does the 800 do differently ?

Cheers,
Bernard

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2012, 04:29:35 pm »

Hi Bernard,

Can you clarify this ?  What does the 800 do differently ?

My understanding is that:
- with the D3x the mirror will always go down after a frame, even in MLU/ live view modes mode because the shutter and mirror mechanism are tightly connected,
- with the D4/D800 it is possible to capture frames in a row in live view mode without lowering the mirror.

The specs are a bit unclear here so I will need to confirm this when testing the camera though.

Cheers,
Bernard

Dennis Carbo

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2012, 04:37:46 pm »

My understanding is that:
- with the D3x the mirror will always go down after a frame, even in MLU/ live view modes mode because the shutter and mirror mechanism are tightly connected,
- with the D4/D800 it is possible to capture frames in a row in live view mode without lowering the mirror.

The specs are a bit unclear here so I will need to confirm this when testing the camera though.

Cheers,
Bernard

Not sure why this is a big advantage for panos (I shoot quite a lot of them my self) but it certainly is "cleaner"  , I.E. I would love to use M-LU for a series of say 7 shots and only have the mirror come up in the beginning, fire off 7 shots with no vibration or touching camera.  Is this why you say its an advantage ?

Sounds like a great feature for sure, thanks for bringing it to my attention , I was unaware !

Regards,

D

Steve_Townsend

• Commercial Property Photography
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2012, 05:34:39 pm »

I think it is a big deal.

I have just replaced too many shutters and aperture diaphragms, it is an expensive business.

I bracket loads, I shoot panos and I stitch, some or all, every day of the week. Why my D3s and D3x cannot keep the mirror up and the aperture fixed when I want to is beyond me. Why I need to shoot at 1 stop bracket intervals when I want  +/- 2 or +/- 3 stop intervals I don't know. An HDR pano, say 10 images or more x 5 brackets stops is just too much of a waste of energy, is unnecessary and significant mechanical wear that just adds up.
Pages: [1]   Go Up