Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Olympus OM-D: for fans of small pixels and small interchangeable lens systems  (Read 6578 times)

RichDesmond

This looks like the mirorrless body we've been waiting for. Small, lightweight, inexpensive. Built in EVF, flip-floppy LCD. In-body stabilization for a body that mounts basically any lens ever. Metal body with environmental sealing and a reasonable control layout. And the autofocus allegedly sets a new benchmark for contrast-detect cameras, although that certainly needs to be tested in the real world. I mean, that's everything that anyone wanted, right?

Focus peaking would have been very nice. :)

Now, you could say the same thing about the NEX cameras, but for me the difference is the lens ecosystem. That Zeiss 24 1/8 notwithstanding, m4/3rds is the system to be in for small, high quality, inexpensive primes (it seems like it isn't a problem for a lot of people but I continue to be baffled by the "lens three times the size of the camera" design that Sony keeps pushing for the NEX stuff). In the m4/3rds system, you can get a three lens kit that's very high quality, covers a wide range, doesn't cost much more than $1000, and takes up less space and weight than the extra battery from your D4 does. I'm blown away by the sheer practicality of it all...
Indeed. For me, taken as a system, m4/3 definitely hits the sweet spot in the size/cost/capability/IQ tradeoffs.

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography

One of the most exciting features is the live updating of long exposures. This is a huge feature for those of us who do lots of low-light photography.

Previous Olympus MFT cameras have had (edit: single-shot) AF as fast as any DSLR, so I'm not too worried about that. It appears to work with 4fps as well, although it remains to be seen how well it works with moving subjects.

Also, they have a new 5-axis IBIS which I believe is a first.

I wasn't excited about the camera until I saw just how feature-complete the camera is. It really makes the MFT system complete and mature, now that they have a more-or-less thorough prime lens selection, with a few remaining ones coming out later this year.

you may be more interested in fuji x-pro1, which will have much better IQ than e-m5 (and optical viewfinder).

How are you making such conclusions on two cameras which are yet to be released, and even thoroughly tested?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 09:09:19 pm by feppe »

BJL

Previous Olympus MFT cameras have had AF as fast as any DSLR, so I'm not too worried about that. It appears to work with 4fps as well, although it remains to be seen how well it works with moving subjects.

For C-AF, and some fancy moving subject tracking, the sampling rate has been doubled again to 240fps (the step up from 60 to 120 by Panasonic already gave a nice improvement for S-AF). So on paper, the AF performance gap between mirroless and SLR might be getting small or non-existent --- I await thorough testing.

Some news on this from that other site:
http://www.dpreview.com/previews/olympusEM5/page6.asp
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up