Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is Sony getting out of the 36x24mm sensor business?  (Read 9924 times)

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
Re: Is Sony getting out of the 36x24mm sensor business?
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2012, 11:46:13 pm »

Hi,

I'm a bit puzzled by the 24 MP sensor in the next FF Alpha, doesn't make sense to me.

Best regards
Erik

Actually it was a question with some background information as to what lead me to ask that question, and I got some very useful answers which shifted my expectations. Clearly many others have been asking the same question, leading Sony to make a statement at CP+ in advance of an actual product announcement, for which I am glad.

By the way, do you have more information or links about the new 24MP sensor? It is unusual but not unheard of for a next generation sensor to have the same pixel pitch as its predecessor.
Erik Kaffehr

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2012, 01:32:45 am »

Hi,

I'm a bit puzzled by the 24 MP sensor in the next FF Alpha, doesn't make sense to me.

Well, as you have been stressing in a few posts recently 24 and 36 is not such a big difference.

Cheers,
Bernard

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2012, 01:44:36 am »

Yes,

True indeed, but it still makes little sense to me, except if the camera is intended for sports and events where you need high frame rates and possibly very good high ISO performance.

Best regards
Erik

Well, as you have been stressing in a few posts recently 24 and 36 is not such a big difference.

Cheers,
Bernard

Erik Kaffehr

BJL

new Sony body with 24MP 36x24mm sensor: how new will the sensor be?
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2012, 10:24:33 am »

I have been digging back through sonyalpharumors and had not yet found a clear "body with new 24MP FF sensor" story; just a lot of "new body with 24MP FF sensor" stories, often with the name A9x or A99 associated. Is this internet forum distortion of a story about making better use of the capabilities of the existing sensor, like its high frame rate potential (10fps?) and the better noise control that Nikon already achieved with the D3X compared to the A900? Or minor technology updates like surface coatings (micro lenses, OLPF, etc.)? There have been stories and even official statements before of a "new sensor" when the truth was at most refined coatings and firmware, not new electronics in the sensor chip itself.

Fine_Art

Re: new Sony body with 24MP 36x24mm sensor: how new will the sensor be?
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2012, 08:21:44 pm »

I have been digging back through sonyalpharumors and had not yet found a clear "body with new 24MP FF sensor" story; just a lot of "new body with 24MP FF sensor" stories, often with the name A9x or A99 associated. Is this internet forum distortion of a story about making better use of the capabilities of the existing sensor, like its high frame rate potential (10fps?) and the better noise control that Nikon already achieved with the D3X compared to the A900? Or minor technology updates like surface coatings (micro lenses, OLPF, etc.)? There have been stories and even official statements before of a "new sensor" when the truth was at most refined coatings and firmware, not new electronics in the sensor chip itself.

You seem desperate to believe sony can't make a new sensor.

http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/News/Press/201201/12-009E/index.html

BJL

« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2012, 08:34:52 pm »

You seem desperate to believe sony can't make a new sensor.
?? I know that Sony makes lots of new sensors! My question is specifically about the claim (by ziocan above, for example) that Sony is going to make a new sensor in 36x24mm format with the same 24MP (so 6 micron pixel pitch) as the one for the A900 etc. Your link does not help, since it does not describe the sensor or pixel size, and BSI is typically for smaller sensor and pixel sizes (and the article talks about camera functionality for smart phones.)

Can anyone help with with a link about a new 24MP, 36x24mm Sony sensor? ziocan?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 08:57:50 pm by BJL »

Fine_Art

« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2012, 09:06:14 pm »

Ok, now I understand what you mean.

peterv

• facebook
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2012, 05:36:28 am »

ziocan

« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2012, 08:43:56 am »

Can anyone help with with a link about a new 24MP, 36x24mm Sony sensor? ziocan?

there you go:
http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr4-sony-a99-has-100-25-600-iso-extended-to-50-and-102500/

although, it would had only made sense to come up with a new sensor, even at the same mp count.

BJL

latest rumors: new 24MP soon, 36MP postponed to 2013
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2012, 09:24:58 am »

peterv and ziocan,

thanks for the link (nice coincidence its arriving just in time this thread!)

So in the world of category SR4 rumors, this new one
http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr4-sony-a99-has-100-25-600-iso-extended-to-50-and-102500/
supersedes and in part contradicts this one from October 4, 2011:
http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr4-sony-ff-with-36-megapixel-sensor-coming-early-2012-nikon-d800-with-same-sensor/
The main differences being that instead of using the same 36MP sensor as the D800 in a new model in early 2012, that sensor will not be available until 2013 due to an exclusivity agreement with Nikon, and instead there will be first be a model with a new 24MP sensor. If so, Sony seems to be moving towards offering a choice of higher resolution vs higher speed, akin to the established pattern at Canon and Nikon. Maybe the SLT approach avoids Sony's previous disadvantage of not having the same level of high speed mirror flipping technology as Canon and Nikon, so a high frame rates model is easier.

My experience with this cluster of rumor sites (sonyalpharumors, 43rumors, mirrorlessrumors) is that "category 4" is more likely true than not, but far from certain, so I will stay tuned. [Edit: apparently until September, unfortunately.]  Until I see more facts, I will stay skeptical (not cynical!) about "how new" a sensor of the same size and pixel pitch and using the same core sensor technology is, given the way that marketing talk has so often overhyping what turn out to be relatively minor updates.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 10:02:23 am by BJL »

ziocan

« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2012, 08:53:00 am »

Anyway, we hardly ever had manufacturers announcing and putting on sale equivalent cameras at the same time of the year, or even on the same year.
there are always been a bit of overlapping, actually more than a bit.
the a900 came out before the 5d mark 2 and the nikon d3x. this year it may be the other way around. who want to use Sony, needs to wait a little longer, for a new high megapixel count FF body this time around.
Sony may have though that it will be more profitable to sell 30.000, 800d sensors per month, rather than try to sell the a900 replacement to a target customer that will not switch to Sony easily. Nikon high end user knows that if sony release a sensor first, it may likely shows up later on a nikon and they rather wait instead of buying a Sony.
http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sony-will-make-30-000-sensor-per-month-for-the-nikon-d800/
in the mean time the a900, will still takes photos that are not hugely inferior to the new and outstanding Nikon d800.
not a big deal.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up