Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best 44" printer for canvas printing (exclusively)?  (Read 39371 times)

Luca Ragogna

• PicFoundry
Re: Best 44" printer for canvas printing (exclusively)?
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2012, 02:29:09 pm »

While Glamour 2 is a great product, the company does not value Canadian business, since they expect you to buy from their Canadian distributors which in the end results in unreasonably high costs.  Lexjet does provide very low flat rate shipping charges to Canada and will quite possibly ship USPS as well (low brokerage fees).  Has anyone tried the Lexjet laminates?

Actually, if you're a professional photographer you can buy BC product from Amplis directly and while customer service isn't exactly Amplis' strong suit, I have no complaints about their pricing. It's very close to the price US customers pay buying directly from BC. I've heard you can also buy directly from BC's site even though it says you can't.

Further, I've had a number of interactions with Breathing Color and they've been tremendously helpful every time. Great communication with them through email, Facebook, Twitter and their blog. They're one of the only companies that continuously and consistently puts out great information about their products and printing in general. My viewpoint is quite a bit different than yours, as a Canadian Breathing Color client I feel they value my business very much, and I'll continue to give it to them.

Darrel

« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2012, 06:08:12 pm »

But you started this other thread, it does not sound like you were ecstatic.  If BC would ship USPS from the US I would be ecstatic, but they don't.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=53303.0

Luca Ragogna

• PicFoundry
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2012, 09:19:53 pm »

I did. And in my last comment I said
... customer service isn't exactly Amplis' strong suit...

But I have no problem with Breathing Color. In fact, I'm a big fan of their products and the company in general. Amplis is a different company.

RMB

« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2012, 10:44:38 am »

Well, thanks again guys!  I am amazed how willing everyone is here to share their tips and experiences.  I'm glad I stumbled upon this invaluable resource!

Before I started researching printers, I was researching varnishes.  In my research, I kept coming back to Breathing Color products.  Is their new Timeless product worth considering?  It is essentially twice as expensive since you do not dilute it.  I am more apt to give Glam II a try since it has the longer track record with more ardent supporters.  I print mainly wildlife photography, where color and vibrancy are important.  I am leaning towards the Glam II and Lyve combination (or perhaps the LexJet Sunset Select Matte, which seems to be a popular choice and is certainly less expensive).

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2012, 11:01:13 am »

Once you get the "formula" down for the right dilution ratio for Breathing Color's Glamour II and your hvlp sprayer, it is quite easy to use and very predictable and consistent.  (*tip* use very warm water).  I use wide mouth mason/canning jars (easy to measure) that allow me to make small batches and keep the coating solution fresh.  It's that comfort level with Glamour II that has stopped me from using Timeless on canvas.  I simply don't have problems with diluting Glamour II.  The BC Timeless (matte), however, is much much better for coating fine art papers, in fact, I wouldn't use anything else---but I'm also rolling Timeless on fine art papers.  If you're after a true matte finish (canvas or fine art paper), it's also hard to beat the Timeless matte.

ken

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2012, 02:03:04 pm »

For maximum vibrancy stick with 100% GII Gloss and put down coats that still look wet when you walk away.

Note that GII is a water based product and theoretically can not be shipped in freezing weather, although my rep at BC says the gloss can survive a freeze/defrost cycle whereas the matte version can not.  I'm a little dubious about that and I always stock up in September.

For those in northerly latitudes, it is possible to spray GII outside in surprisingly cool temperatures.  I have gotten not just good but truly excellent canvas coats that were sprayed while I was standing on snow.  You need at least mid 40F temps and watch out for condensation water drops from areas around the nozzle.  The art should be taped up on a backing like foamcore and don't take the art or the spray gun outside until you are ready to spray.  Bring the canvas and backing back inside before outside temps reach freezing, but otherwise leave it outside to dry.

Even in such cold temperatures I keep the artwork in shade because if it is left in the sun the surface temperatures can quickly rise to over 100F in areas with heavy ink coverage, and that's too hot for coating!  If you must spray in direct sun, turn the art so sunlight hits its glancingly at no more than about 30 degrees, even on cold days.  Ironic, eh?

NML

« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2013, 02:36:34 pm »

Hi RMB,
Given that this post is well over a year old, I don't know if I'll get an answer, but I'm wondering where you purchased your Canon iPF8300 in the end?  I'm trying to find a good price on one, and am thinking of getting one states-side and having it shipped to Toronto.  Any leads would be appreciated, even old ones!

RMB

« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2013, 07:03:38 pm »

Happy to help! I got it from John Ferriola at Shades of Paper (jferriola@shadesofpaper.com).

NML

« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2013, 07:14:10 pm »

Thanks, I'll start there.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up