Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: using filters with the Canon 24mm TS-E II  (Read 3955 times)

ChristianRandwijk

using filters with the Canon 24mm TS-E II
« on: February 05, 2012, 04:20:07 am »

So, still waiting impatiently for my 24 TS-E II, that should arrive within a week or two. I was wondering if there were any users of this lens with experience with using filters? I might use a solid ND, maybe graduated NDs (or HDR, can't really decide, I like to do as much as possible in-camera). I also might use a polarizer once in a while, mostly to cut reflections from water or windows, not so much for a "very polarized look." I sthere anything I should no beforehand, about filters and this lens?

Bart_van_der_Wolf

Re: using filters with the Canon 24mm TS-E II
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 04:37:09 am »

So, still waiting impatiently for my 24 TS-E II, that should arrive within a week or two. I was wondering if there were any users of this lens with experience with using filters? I might use a solid ND, maybe graduated NDs (or HDR, can't really decide, I like to do as much as possible in-camera). I also might use a polarizer once in a while, mostly to cut reflections from water or windows, not so much for a "very polarized look." I sthere anything I should no beforehand, about filters and this lens?

Hi Christian,

Your (im)patience will be rewarded, and you won't be disappointed, that is one of my favorite lenses to use.

The only thing that might be different from what you may have experienced with other lenses is the following. When you use extreme amounts of shift, then the filter effect may be a bit a-symmetrical. That is due to the differences in obliqueness at which the light strikes the filter. Not only will it reflect off of the front surface (and internally) more with increased obliqueness, but also coatings will be less effective. In addition, the travel distance through the filter medium will be longer for the more oblique rays, and the effect stronger. It's a bit like using only one side of a super wide angle lens.

Cheers,
Bart

== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Scott O.

• Photography by Scott and Joyce
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2012, 02:07:36 pm »

I use a Nikon 45mm PC lens, but I doubt if there is really a difference between Canon and Nikon in actual use.  I have not seen any filter issues specific to the PC lens.  The only filters I use are Singh-Ray Variable Neutral Density and Polarizer.  Since your lens is wider than mine, I suspect you might have some uneven sky issues with a polarizer, but that is no different than with a normal lens.  I would get the largest filters you would need for any of your lenses (77mm??) and use step-down adapter rings for smaller diameter lenses.  Saves buying a bunch of filters...step-down rings are cheap!

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 09:43:56 am »

I have only used polarizer filters with the 24 TS-E II (slim B+W model).  Works fine.
Eric Chan

ChristianRandwijk

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 06:21:10 pm »

Well, actually I was thinking of using my old Cokin Z-pro holder (if I can find an 82mm adapter in stock somewhere) and get some filters for that. Since the 24 TS-E II filter thread is 82mm, all screw-in filters are going to be blinding expensive, so might as well get some good square filters that I can use with all my lenses. That is why I started the other thread about the Lee Polyester filters, they are somewhat affordable, and seem to actually be in stock here and there.

Rajan Parrikar

• Rajan Parrikar
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, 01:21:24 am »

I use this lens all the time with 4x6 size Singh-Ray filters (ND, GND).  The Lee filter holder works very well with the lens.
Pages: [1]   Go Up