Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A short article illustrating perspective  (Read 2118 times)

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
A short article illustrating perspective
« on: February 04, 2012, 02:19:07 am »

Hi!

I published a small article demonstrating lenses and perspective: http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/index.php/photoarticles/64-lnses-in-perspective

Best regards
Erik
Erik Kaffehr

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
Re: A short article illustrating perspective
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012, 01:42:18 pm »

Thanks Erik!

So a perspective-centric approach to a landscape photograph would be to decide on how much perspective we want to reveal, and then pick a lens accordingly.

Have been thinking about how tight images with minimal revealed perspective are about objects, wider images that show lots of perspective are about spaces.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 04:24:55 pm »

So a perspective-centric approach to a landscape photograph would be to decide on how much perspective we want to reveal, and then pick a lens accordingly.

Hi Bill,

Not exactly.
- Perspective is determined by the position from which we shoot in a given direction, i.e. the entrance pupil of the lens.
- The focal length together with the sensor dimensions determine the Field of View.
- The output projection, magnification, and viewing distance+position, determine the perceived perspective of the output.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 05:16:52 pm »

Hi,

I would say how much of the perspective we want to reveal...

Best regards
Erik

Thanks Erik!

Have been thinking about how tight images with minimal revealed perspective are about objects, wider images that show lots of perspective are about spaces.
Erik Kaffehr

Fine_Art

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2012, 09:10:22 pm »

Hi Bill,

Not exactly.
- Perspective is determined by the position from which we shoot in a given direction, i.e. the entrance pupil of the lens.
- The focal length together with the sensor dimensions determine the Field of View.
- The output projection, magnification, and viewing distance+position, determine the perceived perspective of the output.

Cheers,
Bart

Lets be clear on 2 points that get muddled in the common use of the word perspective.
Some people use perspective to refer to the illusory depth in the flat image. "The painting has strong use of perspective."
Some people use perspective to refer to the point of view. "The perspective of the image was as if from a bird soaring over the landscape."

The word is abused. It's better to use others that convey what you really wish to communicate.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2012, 09:16:20 pm »

Lets be clear on 2 points that get muddled in the common use of the word perspective.
Some people use perspective to refer to the illusory depth in the flat image. "The painting has strong use of perspective."
Some people use perspective to refer to the point of view. "The perspective of the image was as if from a bird soaring over the landscape."

The word is abused. It's better to use others that convey what you really wish to communicate.

Hi,

Perspective (the viewpoint kind), and perceived perspective (the effect from viewing the output) seem quite adequate, to me anyway.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Fine_Art

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2012, 09:25:28 pm »

Hi,

Perspective (the viewpoint kind), and perceived perspective (the effect from viewing the output) seem quite adequate, to me anyway.

Cheers,
Bart

To me the viewpoint kind yields the depth perception as a byproduct so it contains more information. Using it as a descriptor of depth ie magnification to imply depth, yields less information.

mediumcool

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2012, 02:42:54 am »

++1
FaceBook facebook.com/ian.goss.39   www.mlkshk.com/user/mediumcool
Pages: [1]   Go Up