Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: EOS Utility, Canon 1Ds II and Mac OS-X 10.6.8  (Read 13325 times)

S Kale

EOS Utility, Canon 1Ds II and Mac OS-X 10.6.8
« on: February 02, 2012, 07:53:42 am »

Hopefully this isn't in the wrong section.  I just recently updated my DPP and EOS Utility software only to find that ESO Utility 2.10.4 doesn't seem to support the 1Ds II. Rather annoying as I use it for tethered capture. What's the latest version of EOS Utility that works for this combo and where do I find it?  Other work-arounds?

Thanks in advance

Steve

Bart_van_der_Wolf

Re: EOS Utility, Canon 1Ds II and Mac OS-X 10.6.8
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 08:35:26 am »

Hopefully this isn't in the wrong section.  I just recently updated my DPP and EOS Utility software only to find that ESO Utility 2.10.4 doesn't seem to support the 1Ds II. Rather annoying as I use it for tethered capture. What's the latest version of EOS Utility that works for this combo and where do I find it?  Other work-arounds?

Hi Steve,

EOS Utility updater version 2.4 is the last version mentioned for the 1Ds2 on the Canon website. OSX (don't know which version) and Windows versions are available from the driver download section of the Canon support site.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

S Kale

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 09:13:43 am »

Thanks.  I had searched there through all the software under the 1DsII and still can't see it. I've now done a general search and found ver 2.4.  I assume there is no more up to date 2.4.x version?

(you'd think Canon would remain faithful to all the 1Ds users in keeping such a utility updated)

EDIT: with ver 2.4.0 I get an error message "Error: Failed to communicate with camera. Check connections."  The connections are all good - I was using the camera tethered a couple of hours ago.

:(
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 11:31:35 am by S Kale »

phila

• www.philaphoto.com
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 02:52:18 am »

The cameras supported in EOS Utility 2.10.4 are:

EOS Rebel XS/1000D
EOS Rebel XSi/450D
EOS Rebel T1i/500D
EOS Rebel T2i/550D
EOS Rebel T3/1100D
EOS Rebel T3i/600D
EOS 40D
EOS 50D
EOS 60D
EOS 7D
EOS 5D Mark II
EOS-1D Mark III
EOS-1Ds Mark III
EOS-1D Mark IV

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/content_page.asp?cid=7-11674-12311

Can anyone confirm that EU 2.10.4 is working properly with OS 10.7.x?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 03:05:51 am by phila »

S Kale

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2012, 04:59:42 am »

Well thanks for that.  The fact that the 1Ds II wasn't on the list is what prompted this discussion.

I wanted to find out the latest version of EOS Utility that works with the 1Ds II and OS-X 10.6.8.

Bart responded with ver 2.4 but I am having issues with that.

Unfortunately I do not recall the version that I had installed and was using yesterday morning.  (That version would not allow me to control the shutter but it would let me control all the other relevant functions such as shutter, aperture, ISO, destination folder etc. While I could live without the shutter control, it was the fact that this wasn't working that prompted me to see if I had the latest version.

S Kale

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2012, 11:28:54 am »

Via Time Machine I went back and had a look at the old version of EOS Utility that I had installed.  It was ver 2.7.2.  According to

http://software.canon-europe.com/software/0037084.asp

ver 2.7.2 supports the 1Ds II.  One perverse thing about ver 2.7.2 is that it won't let the computer control the shutter when mirror lock is set on the camera. Why oh why....

It appears Canon dropped support for a large number of cameras with the introduction of ver 2.8.1

"Stopped providing support for old models. - Although it is possible to use EU 2.8 with EOS 30D or later models, we have stopped providing support for previous models: EOS D30, EOS D60, EOS 10D, EOS 20D, EOS 20Da, EOS 5D, EOS Kiss DIGITAL / EOS DIGITAL REBEL / EOS 300D DIGITAL, EOS Kiss DIGITAL N / EOS DIGITAL REBEL XT / EOS 350D DIGITAL, EOS-1D, EOS-1D Mark II, EOS-1D Mark II N, EOS-1Ds, EOS-1Ds Mark II
ยท Added supported Oses: Supports Mac OS 10.6"

Has anyone tried using ver 2.8.1 or later with the 1Ds II?  

Also, does ver 2.7.2 work on Lion? (I'd hate to have to buy a product like Lightroom simply to be able to do tethered shooting!!!!)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 11:56:28 am by S Kale »

John S C

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2012, 05:25:21 am »

I'd be careful of opting for Lion at the moment. I have a problem with tethering my 5D mk1( this is through Lightroom) it appears that  the Canon drivers for this camera are not available for this software. My suspicion is they are PPC coded and need Rossetta to make it work. My 1Dslll works fine though.

Canon state on their web site that they will be issuing a Lion compatible EOS Utility software in the first quarter of 2012. As to the cameras supported nothing is mentioned.

Craig Lamson

• Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2012, 08:30:34 am »

ver 2.7.2 supports the 1Ds II.  One perverse thing about ver 2.7.2 is that it won't let the computer control the shutter when mirror lock is set on the camera. Why oh why....

I've never found ANY tethering software for Canon that allows you to use Mirror Lockup.

That's why I've been using the 33' extension shutter realest cable for years.  If you find one PLEASE share.

My favorite tethering program is DSLR Remote Pro.
Craig Lamson Photo
Pages: [1]   Go Up