Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is this picture art? Or is it artistic?  (Read 28316 times)

DanLehman

Re: Is this picture art? Or is it artistic?
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2012, 11:41:12 pm »

My buddy, [who's] an engineer by trade and an accomplished amateur photog by night,
says that photography is not art.

Hmmm, I'm curious about why he thinks this
--and what he considers to be art.

How about "photorealism" --rendered (ultimately) by painting
(the final stroke), albeit with a photo (presumably --else it's
magic!) in the process.
What (which) is Richard Estes's work?

www.escapeintolife.com/artist-watch/richard-estes/

(I'm guessing that his brushes' dynamic range exceeds
that of any camera's.)

--dl*
====

Tony Jay

« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2012, 03:14:55 am »

Obviously a lot of photographic images are shot with no artistic intent.
Those that are the question should be: As art are they any good?; not: does it qualify as art?

My $0.02 worth.

Tony Jay

popnfresh

« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2012, 07:03:24 pm »

Is it art? Of course it is. So are paintings of Elvis on black velvet and the crayon drawings I made when I was 5.

Is it art I would put on my wall? Not in a million years.

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2012, 08:54:04 pm »

Those are  art work not works of art.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 08:30:21 pm by petermfiore »

Tony Jay

« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2012, 09:08:36 pm »

Poetry in motion as it were!

BobDavid

« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2012, 10:56:17 pm »

Photos of pets are never art, they cannot be, it is totally impossible. Period, end of debate.

You are joking.

popnfresh

« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2012, 01:17:58 pm »

You are joking.
I think he must be. Art is in the eye of the beholder.

BobDavid

« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2012, 09:09:10 pm »

Now how about some cat photos?

Rob C

« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2012, 05:48:35 am »

We had twenty-three or twenty-five cats at one time, each with its own name and easily recognized. We also had our Alsabrador during that period, and big as she was, the cat's had her measure. 

Cat's have totally different personalities than do dogs, and they are as unique as are dogs. Dying kittens can break your heart as painfully as the dog that you have to take to the vet for the last time. Semi-wild cats can understand when you are attempting to help them and, to quite an extent, will tollerate your handling of them in that direction. The secret with these semies is to let them take the initiative. Our tribe began with two kittens abandoned by their mother. She led them along the edge of the garden and stopped when she saw our dog standing at the edge of the terrace, which is about a yard above ground level. She stared at it, and at us, and then she vanished as quietly as she had come, leaving her pair behind her. She just knew that they would survive with us but probably not with her. Anthropomorphism? Experience tells me not. There is a hell of a lot more communication going on between species than the casual might imagine.

There's also a helluva lot more sex going on with cats than you might imagine: how do you think we got to twenty-three or more?

Rob C

Tony Jay

« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2012, 06:30:43 am »

Rob you simply can't go on squandering the family silver like this.
Wonderfully related tail, pardon tale.

Regards

Tony Jay

Rob C

« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2012, 09:24:30 am »

Rob you simply can't go on squandering the family silver like this.
Wonderfully related tail, pardon tale.

Regards

Tony Jay

That's what my wife thought, too: after a while we gave up on buying cat food and discovered that the local butchers had a frozen product that consisted of scraps of meat minced up with fat and other meat side-products. We used to buy this by the kilo and Ann would cook paella pans of it along with rice. This stank to high heavens, and must have been partly why the neighbours tended to eat out a lot at lunchtime... the dangerous part was that once we'd split the bulk onto two large, separate plates, I had the duty of depositing these onto the grass. The cats, of course, had smelled it all along with the neighbours, and it was a bit nerve-wracking delivering the stuff with excited amimals leaping up and down, claws well out.

Interestingly, whenever it was the kitten season, these tiny creatures would be allowed first go at both plates whilst the adult felines held back. Codes of honour exist amongst animals, too, and that's without tutoring, mentoring or going on workshops. No wonder I'm convinced it's all in the genes.

However, all this didn't have a happy end. Every community meeting there would be understandable complaints about the cats, but nobody wanted them removed whilst they or their kids were here on holiday... in the end, we were away on a shoot for a couple of weeks and when we got back we discovered that there were only two males left: both had been neutered, and the rest poisoned, yes, poisoned by a self-declared animal lover and another owner in the community.

;-(

Rob C

P.S. I've sometimes wondered what that frozen product was originally meant to service; tourist restaurants, hamburger joints?

canon3

• Cours de science de la vie et de la terre
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2012, 02:02:22 pm »

I think he must be. Art is in the eye of the beholder.

well said, that is true some people will say its art others will say its nothing but tow dogs.

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2012, 09:30:00 pm »

All photographs, paintings, drawings, sketches, sculpture, poetry, music, and dance  are art. Whether  the piece in question is  emotionally, intellectually, and aesthetically engaging art  that makes me curious and wanting to see more, or leaves me feeling indifferent to it is another question.

Do I think this single photograph of the two dogs is good art? It is good in the commercial and shallow sense. It is a well made photograph that captures and communicates an instant in the lives of the two dogs but it doesn't really engage me very deeply. If they are your dogs or you are partial to the breeds of the dogs depicted you will likely feel differently.

The argument about whether photography is an art form is a curious one. Why should it not be considered a form of art? Because machines are involved? A violin and a piano are also machines. 
Is it because it can be theoretically reproduced ad infinitum? If so does that mean any musical performance  music that has been recorded, any story or poem that has been put into type or distributed over the internet, any movie that has been reproduced means that the particular piece loses its status as art?

In the end whether a work of art is perceived as Art is entirely dependent on the person who encounters it, and that depends on who they are, what they know, and how they live their lives.

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2012, 12:07:56 am »

These simple stickers on the back of each piece will save your customers a lot of anxiety.

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2012, 10:35:51 am »

^Perfect!^

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2012, 11:00:52 am »

Biil That is excellent!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up