Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Some help with my HPZ3200 PS please  (Read 5369 times)

dunesurfer

Some help with my HPZ3200 PS please
« on: January 29, 2012, 06:11:28 am »

Wonder if some HP users can help me.Mods,also,if this is posted in the wrong section,,please tell me.
Die to some internal studio problems(financial,after two big clients scaled down),i need to allocate my HP Z3200 ps to another workstation.

Detail of this workstation,and yes,we did upgrade to WIN 7,but seeing that some older equiptment runs without snags,we went back to XP.
All service packs installed.

We do have PHOTOSHOP ELEMENTS 10,installed,and that is well within the person who work on this PC,to handle that workload.
This workstation does mostly work form OVER THE COUNTER customers.Most work,is saved in JEPGS,or tiff files.Most has need edited,and the customers just order prints.The other option,will be to load up CS 5,but then,it needs again financial input,which at this stage,is sort of a problem,untill we can get other clients in.
In short,basicly straight forward stuff.

Whats our best option if we allocate this printer to this workstation.Load it up,with its native pcl driver,or install the post script driver,which also have the HP PRO PHOTO RIP in it.This rip makes specially colour management very straight forward.I tried to read up on PS ELEMNETS 10 capability for printers,but time is against me,and i need to make this decisions,away from home.

Hence my posting.

Ernst Dinkla

Re: Some help with my HPZ3200 PS please
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 06:50:31 am »

Buy Qimage Ultimate which runs on any Windows machine and use the HP PCL3 driver + HP OEM profiles for the moment with Qimage color management on and the driver's CM off. That $ 90 investment will pay off in a week. It will import RAW files too. Later on you can create custom HP profiles with HP's Z3200 Color Central in the Printer Utility. And get used to the endless range of Qimage Ultimate features. For editing if Elements is usable enough, use that till you can switch to either Lightroom or Photoshop CS5 depending on your customer's needs or get familiar with Qimage's image editing which I use occasionaly but do not know well enough, I use it mainly for printing and CS5 for the edits.

www.ddisoftware.com

met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst
Shareware now:
Dinkla Gallery Canvas Wrap Actions for Photoshop
http://www.pigment-print.com/dinklacanvaswraps/six-canvas-wrap-actions.htm

dunesurfer

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2012, 07:08:06 am »

Thnxs for that.I did have a look at Qimage before,and will definetly give it some thought.
Time is against me now.

artobest

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 05:56:39 am »

+1 for Qimage. There's a hell of a learning curve, but I can't imagine printing without it now.

LenR

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, 10:01:34 am »

If you have HPPU then use it. 
I've been using expensive rips for printing since 1991 and when I got the 3200PS I was amazed  what it came with.
I use HPPU exclusively for this printer and while it doesn't offer the bells and whistles of a good rip it does the job.
This printer is not industrial but it is IMHO the best darn deal out there!
Good luck.

dunesurfer

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2012, 10:07:45 am »

Thnxs for that advice.If you read my posting carefull,you would see that i,m actually talking about it.I know its there,just do not know,if ELEMENTS 10 will see it.Can elemenst handle post script as the full PS package.?

deanwork

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2012, 10:54:26 am »

I'm printing with 64 bit Windows 7 Pro, Ps Cs5, and the HP driver as well as Q-Image and all are working normally. The rip time is very slow for Q-Image, but other than that it is a great value for the money.

john

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2012, 12:00:17 pm »

If you have HPPU then use it. 
I've been using expensive rips for printing since 1991 and when I got the 3200PS I was amazed  what it came with.
I use HPPU exclusively for this printer and while it doesn't offer the bells and whistles of a good rip it does the job.
This printer is not industrial but it is IMHO the best darn deal out there!
Good luck.

Sorry, is that the PS3 driver or an independent HP application that accepts PS/EPS/PDF files? I did a search on HPPU but nada information.
If that is the driver then dunesurfer could use one of the Adobe Acrobat versions to print files through the PS3 driver.
On the other hand I see he mentions Tiffs and Jpegs the customers drop on the counter, using postscript interpreters makes things more complicated for files like that and Elements could even do that though Qimage Ultimate is way better then considering CM.

Try: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/

LenR

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2012, 12:05:34 pm »

1) Why does Elements have to see it?  You're not printing from it if you are using HPPU.  You're just using Elements to check and prepare files if needed.
2) I don't use Elements, I use PS Cs3.  
What kind of postscript?
If PDF then try opening a file and see if all elements (raster and vector) are displayed correctly.  
If an ID document has not been correctly flattened it should show up when you rasterize it in PS.
(If it looks correct is PS look to your left and right and if nobody's looking save the rasterized file as a JPEG and send it off to the printer thru HPPU and you'll be done.)

Just checking but are you really familiar with HPPU?

LenR

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2012, 12:11:28 pm »

Ernst,

HPPU = HP Printer Utility.

It is more than a dumbed down rip that has everything needed to print (and then some).

The interface looks like this:

dunesurfer

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2012, 12:22:49 pm »

I know what it looks like.My problem is that will ELEMENST 10,let me use the post script driver,where in the case of the software supplied with the Z3200PS is where the HP PRINTER PRO UTILITY IS ACTUALLY.Its definetly not part of the PCL driver.
Or am i missing something.

LenR

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2012, 12:48:54 pm »

The workflow I'm suggesting is one where you won't have to spend any money now.
1)Use elements (or whatever) to edit and/or nest a bunch of photos. Save the file.  Close elements.
2)Open HPPU and use that to print the file.
HPPU is a stand-alone application designed to streamline your workflow.
All that other stuff about drivers in Photoshop is a bucket of hurt that I don't care for in day to day production.
Once again... have you actually used HPPU to print?

dunesurfer

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2012, 01:50:11 pm »

Lenr,
Thats why i actually posted here.I KNOW about hp pro print,but havent work with it,as i only use the PCL driver now.I wanted to know,if it download automaticly with the post script driver,hence my thinking of hooking the printer up with the work station that has got elements 10 already on.

So,to sum up what i wants to know.

1.Do elements 10 support the post script driver of the z3200ps
2.Is HP PRO PRINT(scaled down rip),part of the post script driver on the z3200ps,or is it stand alone.Seems i can only find,the drivers,and not HP PRO PRINT,on the disk that came with the printer.(I bought it new)
3.If stand alone,does it work on windows also,and also with the pcl driver.

I,m thankfull for the advice so far.But i need to be 100% sure,what i,m doing now,as its vital for the better of my busines to make the right decisions now.(Tough times):-(

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2012, 03:29:44 pm »

HP Utility, now I get it.

I never used that for printing. It is almost a command line RIP but limited in features and slow in refreshing its windows here, all is done while communicating with the printer. Has the "CMYK" profiling included and the four image color spaces so is basically the PS3 driver with driver color management on. From time to time I get there when Qimage log does not tell me enough on a job done like the actual paper choice or ink use. Never expected someone ever would use that but maybe I can find something in it that is unique.

Try: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/

« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 03:51:04 pm by Ernst Dinkla »

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2012, 03:36:39 pm »

I didn't even know you could print from the HPPU.  :o     
I'm on a Mac and almost always print from LR3 - and am happy with the results, but every time I read praise for Qimage, I do wonder what I'm missing.
Rolleiflex USA

LenR

« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2012, 03:36:59 pm »

Lenr,
Thats why i actually posted here.I KNOW about hp pro print,but havent work with it,as i only use the PCL driver now.I wanted to know,if it download automaticly with the post script driver,hence my thinking of hooking the printer up with the work station that has got elements 10 already on.

I have never heard of HP Pro Print, sorry.

So,to sum up what i wants to know.

1.Do elements 10 support the post script driver of the z3200ps

I don't know but you should be able to look up the "System Requirements" of your hardware and software all by yourself.

2.Is HP PRO PRINT(scaled down rip),part of the post script driver on the z3200ps,or is it stand alone.Seems i can only find,the drivers,and not HP PRO PRINT,on the disk that came with the printer.(I bought it new)

Once again, I now nothing about HP Pro Print.

3.If stand alone,does it work on windows also,and also with the pcl driver.

If you go here:  

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=3737565&prodTypeId=18972&prodSeriesId=3737540&swLang=8&taskId=135&swEnvOID=4062

...and install the software I circled in the attachment you will have the HP Utility (formally HP Print Utility).
You will have to learn how to use it but it's really straight forward.  Most of the time all I do is turn off GE and set the color space.  To begin just add a smallish file and print it on your cheapest paper at the default.

I,m thankfull for the advice so far.But i need to be 100% sure,what i,m doing now,as its vital for the better of my busines to make the right decisions now.(Tough times):-(

What business are you in?

LenR

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2012, 03:54:44 pm »

Ernst, Eric,

I got the 3200 last year when they were on sale.
I stumbled across the HPPU while reading about the printer.
It manages all aspects of the printer, inks, job costs, media presets and more as well as printing.
It's a very good rip (albeit without much of a gui) but it can't be beat for the price.
Rather that spending almost a grand to upgrade my rip so it would support the 3200 (and not offer all the other functions) I just kept using HPPU and I alike it a lot.  

OK I nest in PS... big deal.

dunesurfer

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2012, 03:57:44 pm »

Thnxs for the info.HP PRO PRINT was what it was called way back.Since then,as i understand it,was built into the supplied software,known as the hp print print ultility.Thats what i could figure out.Way back,with CS 2,you downloaded it seperate,then installed it.Then with CS3,it was part of the package,when you install a HP printer.
I run a photostudio.Had way back a large format EPSON,sold it,and boguth the Z3200 for making large digital negatives for platinum printing.Due to some problems,i,m forced to generate extra income from it,hence the service to the public.

dunesurfer

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2012, 03:59:38 pm »

LENR,

Just curious.Waht platform do you use,and do you have also the post script version of the Z3200,namely the Z3200PS.

Giel

LenR

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2012, 04:05:59 pm »

Ernst,

Don't look for unique:)

On a daily basis operation is really straight forward and reliable with all print controls and condition of the calibration, inks and heads. (except paper loading/unloading) right at the desktop.

If you can try it without comparing it to your rip you might find it to be a nice solution for this printer (not a 24/7 production machine)

Cheers
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up