Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 77   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 7900 from the inside - out  (Read 1092984 times)

iladi

Re: Epson 7900 from the inside - out
« Reply #640 on: April 28, 2012, 12:03:38 pm »

Thanx, eric for the tips. I allready think about ink starvation, bad design dampers, bad sealing ink lines and that my clogs are not realy clogs.
As far as user maintenance i have experience with 3kind of printers pigment and dye aqua, ecosolvent and aqua-resin DTS ones. They all require regular whiper cleaning, captop cleaning AND , if it is visualy required (solid ink, debris, lint) a manual head clean, not the bottom (forbiden if you have no experience) but just the edges. A clean whiper better cleans the head, a clean captop and clean head edges helps a better sealing when the head parcs. Maybe not every day, but is strictly related to dust in the room, humidity and what kind of media you usualy print.

Eric Gulbransen

• never surrender
    • MYX900.com
« Reply #641 on: April 28, 2012, 12:12:18 pm »

very interesting update.. makes a lot of sense..

so..I think this raises a few questions..

1. what maintenance SHOULD a USER perform and when?
2. what maintenance SHOULD a user OUTSOURCE and when?

Or if you have a warranty,

3. if you have a warranty, does this affect Q's 1&2?

James

1 & 2 - I think this depends on your comfort level about tinkering with your own machine.  If you've got hammer thumbs you most likely are well aware of it, so I suggest you outsource everything but changing the wiper blade assembly.  The wiper blade assembly is easy to see without taking anything apart.  It's need for cleaning/replacement therefore should be easy to monitor.  It's need for attention will be different for everyone.  HAL mentioned cleaning your flushing box once a year in our conversation yesterday, but I imagine this too will be different for everyone.  The flushing box is also easy to monitor without taking anything apart.  However I will have to ask HAL what signs to look for that would indicate a clogged flushing box (besides the obvious).

3 - I don't have a warranty so I don't know the details of it.  I would imagine scheduled maintenance is not covered under warranty, but I don't know that.  If you are under warranty you need not be concerned with cleaning fluids - they will not clean anything.  Warranty work is parts replacement.  They would replace an unclear-able head, not clean it with solution.

*side note;  There is a very real possibility that you yourself could help create a significant savings impact on repairs & maintenance costs involving your machine, if you are willing to move it.  If a service tech has to drive to you, then twiddle his thumbs every time your machine goes through cleaning cycles, waiting periods, etc., you will have to pay him for every minute he stands there doing nothing.  However, and I do realize this is impossible for some, if you brought your machine to his shop you would most likely be charged a lower flat-rate, pre agreed price for the service because there would be no thumb twiddling - he'd be off working on another machine (making money somewhere else).
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 12:15:22 pm by Eric Gulbransen »

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #642 on: April 28, 2012, 12:22:09 pm »

Thanx, eric for the tips. I allready think about ink starvation, bad design dampers, bad sealing ink lines and that my clogs are not realy clogs.
As far as user maintenance i have experience with 3kind of printers pigment and dye aqua, ecosolvent and aqua-resin DTS ones. They all require regular whiper cleaning, captop cleaning AND , if it is visualy required (solid ink, debris, lint) a manual head clean, not the bottom (forbiden if you have no experience) but just the edges. A clean whiper better cleans the head, a clean captop and clean head edges helps a better sealing when the head parcs. Maybe not every day, but is strictly related to dust in the room, humidity and what kind of media you usualy print.

I'm interested in your comment about dust in the room. Have you seen much impact, and if so where are the soft spots from your perspective?
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Eric Gulbransen

• never surrender
    • MYX900.com
« Reply #643 on: April 28, 2012, 12:39:30 pm »

FYI; According to my conversation with yesterday, the general consensus on the cause of clogs on my particular Epson 7900 is misuse, not shipping the machine across the country.  Considering the state of the wiper blade assembly (three years old, completely covered in muck, torn and cocked sideways), and the state of the flushing box when I got it (also three years old, therefore likely dried and clogged), combined with the fact that in three years of use this particular printer had only @900 prints on it (indicating this machine was used infrequently - which apparently violates of the cardinal rule of happy X900 use), this particular Epson 7900 printer failed due to what HAL calls "neglect."

This is something to keep in mind if you are considering buying a used X900 printer.  DO NOT assume that a printer with very little use is in better shape than one used regularly.  Big, ......BIG mistake

designpartners

• Design Partners
« Reply #644 on: April 28, 2012, 01:00:08 pm »

little use is misuse.. funny one for sure..

so.. how would one define "little use"? once a month? once a week? once a day? once an hour?
I think I have maybe 400 prints on my 9900.. most of which are A1 and above... I would think this is very little use. .

I'm heading to an Expo tomorrow in Dublin where Epson UK and my local distributer are there and I'll ask them about it too.. see what's covered in warranty, what not and see if I can get a handle on costs..

I'd be happy stripping the 9900 right to the bone, but it's not mine, the company I work for owns it and we took out an extended warranty to cover repairs and minimize downtime. BUT... maybe having a warranty and waiting for a failure is not the best way to minimize downtime?

James 

Eric Gulbransen

• never surrender
    • MYX900.com
« Reply #645 on: April 28, 2012, 01:28:14 pm »

This is me talking here, not ...

I think I will stay on top of my flushing box by cleaning it while still inside/hooked up.  In serviceman mode, when  you release the head it moves far off to the left of it's operating range.  The flushing box moves forward into plain view/access.  Again this has not been suggested to me, it's just my feel, but the flushing box is a pretty simple unit.  It's a screen with a foam pad behind it that ink gets shot through.  Hoses connect to the back of it which take the blown ink and drains it into the maintenance tank.  To me this is a no-brainer - gut an old maintenance tank, install it, then shoot water or cleaning solution into the face of the flushing box.  it's easily accessible and viewable.  I'd be sure to rinse the rubber seals of any solution before wrapping up your home brewed service call.  

I know this is a high tech printer and all but let's be real, the flushing box is not a high tech part.  it's a screen with a sponge behind it.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 11:18:20 am by Eric Gulbransen »

iladi

« Reply #646 on: April 28, 2012, 01:47:05 pm »

Dust is a very big issue in my oppinion. I have a small shop, about 30 square meters with direct acces from the street. Just one room and one door. The door is frequently open (often by mistake, not that i'm sooooo bussy :D), and i from time to time i have to open a small window due to ecosolvent smell. There is A LOT of dust. The dust settels on the material rolls, inside the printer, nomatter if they are packed inside bags or not, more or less due to statics. So, when the head travels back and forth above a dusty area, lint and dust and ink attach to the edges of the printhead. If you add a accidental hair, there is is a good posibility that one of this can sit bethween the head and the captop when the head is parked, so it is a bad sealing, air comes to the head, you don't use the printer for 2 weeks, and, voila, the clogs. So, if you environment is dusty and you are not going to use the printer for a long period it might be a good ideea to clean the whiper, clean the edges of the head if it is dirty (use a swab and some cleaning solution, i know it is not easy due to head possition, but it is doable), clean the captop with the swab and drop some cleaning solution on the captop, it helps clean the pump and the tubing to thevwaste tank. Then do a normal clean and turn the printer off.

Edit: flush is used for spitting ink during printing. It may be some prints that not require to use all the ink. For that, during printing, head moves to the flushpad spit ink from all the nozzels to enshure all the colors are used and prevent ink dry in the head. Is is a simple pad and some tubing to the waste tank. You can even remove it and clean with water.

PS sorry for my bad english, but i' m shure you will understand
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 01:53:08 pm by iladi »

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #647 on: April 28, 2012, 01:51:42 pm »

Thanks - that's insightful.

tmphoto

« Reply #648 on: April 28, 2012, 04:50:03 pm »

My experience with the older printers:

FYI; According to my conversation with yesterday, the general consensus on the cause of clogs on my particular Epson 7900 is misuse, not shipping the machine across the country.  
If the cause of a clog is as explained above I am able to clear the clog.

This is something to keep in mind if you are considering buying a used X900 printer.  DO NOT assume that a printer with very little use is in better shape than one used regularly.  Big, ......BIG mistake
A printer with little use is in better shape that one with lot's of use. The cleaning unit may need cleaning fluid treatment but not a big deal.
Between a printer that was used to print only 30 pages and left for 1 year without any use and a printer that has been used to print 30 prints every day for a year I take the one that has not been used for a year.

Why is the above not true for the x900 printers?
In my opinion you did all that was needed to fix the clog. Why was it not cleared?

Why Epson needs to hide behind an anonymous caller to blame customers for the problems?
I can assure you that problems caused by little use can be fixed.
User neglect, take a look at this:
http://e7800.printermed.com/kv2v6403.htm
http://e7800.printermed.com/kv2v6455.htm
Got the above printer for $100 with empty cartridges because it was badly clogged.
Serviced the cleaning unit and cleaned the head externally. After that I was able to print a clean nozzle check just using the inks that were left in the lines.
http://e7800.printermed.com/kv2v6463.htm
The wiper blade above did not need replacement, it was in great shape after cleaning. Same with the other parts.

After that I cleaned all the printer parts, ran some cleaning fluid trough the head and lubricated - It's working like new.
http://e7800.printermed.com/kv2v6450.htm
http://e7800.printermed.com/kv2v6410.htm

The above printer was used continuously until the owner bought a new 7900 then set aside for several months.
So, lots of wet ink accumulated over a 3-4 years that the dried off (used a lot and then "neglected", really bad but fixable).

In the attached pic a 9800, similar experience. Behind a 9600 printer, under cover. This printer was stored away in like new condition for several years. It has been cleaned and printing fine now.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 04:53:40 pm by tmphoto »

Eric Gulbransen

• never surrender
    • MYX900.com
« Reply #649 on: April 28, 2012, 09:29:52 pm »

It's been my experience, tmphoto, that the "less used" Epson 7900 that I bought is worthless so far.  I would much rather have purchased a 7900 with more miles on it, that actually printed, than have purchased this nearly virgin one that has yet to work since I bought it six months ago.  You talk about clearing clogs like this is a 4800.  I too am confident that I could clear a clogged, parked for three years, neglected printhead from an older model machine.  In fact like you, I have also done this successfully multiple times.  But when it comes to X900 clogs, these printheads so far have beaten me into submission.  Not so much confidence anymore.  At least not for clearing the stubborn clogs.  And once you can't clear the printhead on an X900 printer, and you're out of warranty, the numbers (replacing the printhead through traditional means) just don't make sense.  $2k minimum to replace the printhead when you can buy a brand new Epson 7900, with a brand new warranty, with free delivery anywhere in the US for $495 more?  That's right, check B&H, $2,495 - free delivery.

So in my case, buying the "lightly used" (clogged) 7900 that I did, for $1,700, turns out to be the worst purchase I have ever made in my life. 

I would have been much better off buying one brand new, or buying one that was used more regularly. 

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #650 on: April 28, 2012, 09:32:35 pm »

Also a big deal in the price comparison between new and used is how much ink you get with the former versus the latter.

Dadioles

« Reply #651 on: April 29, 2012, 09:10:50 am »

Whew...

I have just spent what seems like days (it was days!) reading everything I can about the Epson 7900 and this thread has left me filled with awe and respect for the contributors and hopefully wiser and more knowledgeable. It must be the longest thread that I have ever followed in detail (on any topic) reading step by step technical discoveries and personal views of a surprising variety of people, some of whom I am sure I would find very petty and irritating in real life. Maybe it is me that is becoming a disfunctional human being.

Eric - your wiper blade replacement video is wonderful - my kind of dry humour.  All that and bikes as well.... what a man.

Epsons have always been my photo printers of choice and I still run a 4000 for odd jobs but my trusty old 4880 is the current workhorse sometimes running day and night non stop.
Before the new print run of the day I always print a quick nozzle check and it is a bit hit and miss whether or not a head clean is required.  Unfortunately the 4880 cleans all heads in one go and it is frustrating to see 7 inks being depleted because of an imperfection with just one colour.  If the day begins with clear nozzles I have never known it to clog during a print run, utterly reliable.
I will sometimes find an entire channel (yellow or magenta more often than not) "blocked" with hardly ant ink coming through.  My gut feeling is that this is not so much blocked nozzles but ink starvation.  Several cleaning cycles, and maybe a cartridge swap, will fix it.  Probably air leaking in somewhere, it would not take much.  Maybe when the new 7900 arrives I will have the courage to take the 4880 apart as it is a few years old now and must need a clean out.

Regular usage is definitely important and having been idle for the last month it took me 6 cleaning cycles to get fully operational once more, unusually bad this time.
Nozzle checks at the start of the day are essential but whether or not this has to be followed up with a head clean is just something that I am used to and accept as the norm when owning an ink jet printer.

In the next few days I expect to purchase a new 7900.  My "busy" period is June - September and although I have a feeling that a new model will be released quite soon I just cannot wait, something I may regret but such is life.

I have looked at HP and Canon but having used Epson for so many years I naturally migrate towards a familiar make.

Reading about the problems people have with their 7900's is quite scary but I am pretty good at keeping things in perspective and I am very grateful to Eric for his efforts.  As something of a techie, I too tend to try and fix things myself and despite the traumas that he and others have been through it does give me confidence that fixes are possible and forwarned is forarmed so I shall enter the world of the 7900 with my eyes wide open (and an extended warranty).

Incidentally (I am in UK) the price quoted to me for the printer is (all inclusive of VAT - real money):
Basic photo printer plus an additional (free) set of 11 x 110ml cartridges £2395
Delivery £78
Warranty extended to 3 years £810

Technically I shall write it off over three years so loosely speaking it will cost me about £1000 per annum (£20 / week) in capital.

There is no financial advantage to using 700ml cartridges over the 350ml as both (street price) come out at about 29p/ml, the 150ml cartridges 34p/ml.

Now I just need to keep my fingers crossed that all goes well.

designpartners

• Design Partners
« Reply #652 on: April 29, 2012, 02:32:16 pm »

High use Vs Low use..

so I'm wondering if the printer is being left on? if it's on, it goes through a clean every now and again and also parks the head and I'm told that seals it from dust and minimises clogs.
I'm sure Eric mentioned how his printer was stored, powered on or off?

Spoke to Epson today also at an Expo - apparently there are 2 types of warranty- and if you have the more expensive one, it includes a yearly call out for a once over, otherwise, he says leave well enough alone.
no idea which one I have, I'm sure it's the lower one but I'll check tomorrow. 

James
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 02:37:26 pm by designpartners »

designpartners

• Design Partners
« Reply #653 on: April 29, 2012, 02:41:13 pm »

Incidentally (I am in UK) the price quoted to me for the printer is (all inclusive of VAT - real money):
Basic photo printer plus an additional (free) set of 11 x 110ml cartridges £2395
Delivery £78
Warranty extended to 3 years £810

Technically I shall write it off over three years so loosely speaking it will cost me about £1000 per annum (£20 / week) in capital.

There is no financial advantage to using 700ml cartridges over the 350ml as both (street price) come out at about 29p/ml, the 150ml cartridges 34p/ml.

just remember that the carts that come with the printer will be used to prime the printer and while you basically get to use all the ink, it will read that the carts are half empty as soon as you are finished setting up

so you will have to get new refills sooner than you think.

Enjoy the printer!

James

john milich

« Reply #654 on: April 29, 2012, 07:28:59 pm »

could someone state the post number describing how to clean the wiper and service the flush box.  maybe make it a sticky?

thanks

Peter Le

• lewandoimages
« Reply #655 on: April 29, 2012, 08:26:45 pm »

Page 15 post 292 is the video for changing the wiper blade......

Eric Gulbransen

• never surrender
    • MYX900.com
« Reply #656 on: April 30, 2012, 01:38:14 am »

Jason, I never talked about how I stored the printer while not in use because I never got to store it, or use it.  It's been clogged since I got it.

I was thinking, however, about just this topic in the shower this morning.  I think I might just store it in there..

john milich

« Reply #657 on: April 30, 2012, 07:08:23 pm »

eric:

am sending some $ to your site, keep up the good work
by the way, my shop is in the brooklyn navy yard, pretty close to bed-stuy.

jm

Eric Gulbransen

• never surrender
    • MYX900.com
« Reply #658 on: April 30, 2012, 10:42:04 pm »

Soft spot in my heart for machinists, John.  Our swingarm, our triple clamps - both designed by the monkey behind the bars.  In fact half our bike was turned on a lathe.

...and you're from NY.  I'll tell my brother to look out for you.  Long line of firefighters - grandfather was Captain of Rescue 4.

Thanks brother

« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 10:44:06 pm by Eric Gulbransen »

Eric Gulbransen

• never surrender
    • MYX900.com
Re: Epson 7900 from the inside - out - printhead cleaned and on the way
« Reply #659 on: May 01, 2012, 11:24:07 am »

Vladimir called, our printhead has been thoroughly cleaned by his ultrasonic cleaning machine.  He sounds pretty confident that the clogs are clear.  Apparently he can see an obvious difference between his last visual nozzle check, pictured below, and his first visual nozzle check.  That sounds encouraging.  If this procedure works, we just breathed life back into quite a few machines otherwise headed for the scrap pile.  He's mailing our head back today, we should get it installed this weekend. 

YEY VLADIMIR!!!!

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 77   Go Up