Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 77   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 7900 from the inside - out  (Read 1092964 times)

Ernst Dinkla

Re: Epson 7900 from the inside - out
« Reply #500 on: March 18, 2012, 07:12:16 am »

I've been reading this forum for a long time. Years and years. I've own 7600, 7800, 9880, and now 7900.

I do not remember any thread, related to these other printers that generated anywhere near this amount of almost exact failure conditions -- LLK blocked, and almost nothing makes it break free. And at a time when any 9900 or 7900 is still a relatively new printer, no matter when it was purchased.

No, this is not Science, or Exact Data Collection, but my Smell Test makes me wonder what's going on. Why would ALL these people be having almost the exact same issue....? And yes, I've got a horse in this race, because my LLK is blocked on my 7900, but I'm trying to be level-headed about it. Yes, I'm upset and disappointed that my printer has been sitting idle for weeks now, unable to print anything other than horizontal banding. I just want to see if someone solves this, so that I can know whether I've got to pony up to the bar with Decision One, or just chuck this almost perfectly good, very low volume printer, right into a Dumpster.

There were no real alternatives to Epson up to the the 9800 generation. Then Canon and HP appeared with suitable wide formats and Epson had to speed up its answers to that challenge. With the introductions of new models Epson claimed that new nozzle surface treatments would reduce clog issues, the competition already showed better behaviour on that aspect. Potential buyers must have been attracted by that promise which seems to be kept on the 3800 and 3880 but not so on the x900 and possibly not on the x980 models. For whatever reason. I think both the unfulfilled promise of an improvement and the availability of alternative wide formats without those issues must have created disappointment that caused these threads.

Epson's service policies is not enforcing public relations either. Canon wide formats did have issues too with heads in three generations since 2006, Canon showed more flexibility in replacing those heads in and out of warranty. The costs for that extra service must have been lower for Canon as the heads can be user replaceable, part of the total concept of thermal head printers. For Epson head failure on a printer above the 17" models means sending a service man to whatever location.

met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst
Shareware too:
330+ paper white spectral plots:
http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm

jeverton

Re: On the subject of heads
« Reply #501 on: March 20, 2012, 04:15:41 pm »

In the Brochure
http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/jsp/Pro/SeriesSureColorS30670/Overview.do?RMID=PI_20120315_S_Series_Signage&RRID=EPSONP300307
 on page 30 they make a very strong to point out what might be expected of these heads under variable user conditions, and stress "maintenance" to prolong the head life.
4 - The print head is a maintenance part which the user is responsible to replace when necessary. However, Epson covers head replacement while
the printer is under the Epson Preferred Limited Warranty and under any Preferred Plus Plan (limited or unlimited number of head replacements,
depending on the Preferred Plus Plan purchased). The life of the print head will vary depending on the user's print volume, print patterns and heater
temperature for print settings. Doing proper user maintenance of the print head will help prolong its life.

I'm sure these machines are designed for more use and abuse that the standard WF ones, but it really sounds like Epson almost expects problems, and covers their butts with a choice of extended warrantees with different head replacement options.  

I'm catching up on this thread... it's very interesting to see Epson's disclaimer being placed within the S30670 brochure on the warranty programs and head replacement(s). 

•   Footnote Definition 4:  I wonder why this statement is not included in the x900 series literature?  Plus, “Doing proper maintenance of the print head will help prolong its life.” What maintenance?  I’m not aware of a preventive schedule or recommendation from the manufacture.  Are we missing something here Epson???

Jeff

jeverton

« Reply #502 on: March 20, 2012, 04:18:44 pm »

Be aware that in the sign market with piëzohead printers squirting (eco)solvent inks, the maintenance and replacement of parts by third parties is much more common than in the aqueous ink based photo printer market.

Try: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/

Ernst - To what degree?  Is there something documented on the differences between maintenance and replacement of parts between the (eco)solvent ink and aqueous ink based printers?

Jeff

jeverton

« Reply #503 on: March 20, 2012, 04:22:48 pm »

I agree DeanChriss.  And I appreciate your posts.  I am not saying I won't buy Epson again either.  But I definitely I won't base my judgement to buy or not to buy, on their marketing claims like I did last time.  I'll read about them here before I read about them there.
+1 All the more reasons for us to be diligent on making our printer investments wisely.

Eric - Do you have an ETA on the print head repair?

Jeff

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #504 on: March 20, 2012, 06:25:10 pm »

Ernst - To what degree?  Is there something documented on the differences between maintenance and replacement of parts between the (eco)solvent ink and aqueous ink based printers?

Jeff

I am not familiar with Epson's documented policies in both markets. I referred to what is common knowledge in the (eco)solvent printer market so far. DX4 and DX5 heads in that market are advertised and sold by third parties, often Epson 10000 heads that are split and equipped with ecosolvent resistant parts to be used in Roland and Mimaki ecosolvent printers. Check Alibaba for parts like that though Epson seems to make that grey market more difficult. 10 years ago the first Roland based ecosolvent printers were made by third party service companies before Roland itself got involved. An ecosolvent printer needs more care otherwise the heads are blocked in a month and no easy way to get them working again.

Shareware too:
330+ paper white spectral plots:
http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm

Eric Gulbransen

• never surrender
    • MYX900.com
« Reply #505 on: March 20, 2012, 06:28:03 pm »

Yes Jeff, Vladimir says by the end of this month he'll have the head done and on it's way back to us.  I am losing my mind waiting but finally having an answer will be worth it.

iladi

« Reply #506 on: March 21, 2012, 06:42:34 am »

Jeff

yes. an ecosolvent printer must be cleaned once a week at last. that means: manual head clean, manual capping station and whiper clean. replace whiper every 6 months. replace capping station once or twice a year. replace dapers once or twice a year. but the inks are more agresive than waterbased inks and can corode and age some parts quicker than waterbase ink.
as the spare parts market. there many online shops that sell original spare parts for roland, mimaki, mutoh. at a far better price than buying directly from original. also there are more users tehnicaly cabale to self repair a big printer, change a head, a whiper, a capping station, even more. also the sign comunity is very helpfull in case of a failure.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 06:57:00 am by iladi »

iladi

« Reply #507 on: March 21, 2012, 11:20:44 am »

An infrequently used printer appears to be a worst case scenerio for clog problems.

not necesarily. i have clogs on my epson 9700 (same mechanics as 9900 but CMYKCMYK ). and i have clogs while i print large graphics with large areas of solid colors. and i use dye inks not pigment (more fluid and thin inks). yes, you may say i'm not using epson's ink, that it may be the fault of the inks, refillable carts etc. it is possible. BUT. i have a mutoh with the same inks and the clogs are muuuuuch more rare. mutoh is printing on and on and it get cloged mainly if i have a head stike. but not while i'm printing. head clean is more efiicient when clogs occur and it  takes way less ink and time

gwhitf

« Reply #508 on: March 21, 2012, 12:36:06 pm »

An infrequently used printer appears to be a worst case scenerio for clog problems.

Please.

This would be akin to me buying a Nikon D3x, and after mostly sitting idle on the shelf for the first year or so, I get it out to shoot something, and roughly 15% of the pixels on the sensor are dead. Just because I used it infrequently?

This reminds me of what my father used to tell me when I was a kid: "Take your mother's car out on the freeway and drive it hard. She only drives it in town. What it needs is a good blowing-out, because she rarely drives it".

An almost new 7900, and right out of warranty, the LLK just locks up solid?

Streetshooter

« Reply #509 on: March 21, 2012, 02:01:03 pm »

Here I am about to take the plunge and buy a large format printer so this thread is very interesting to me. I have read all the posts from beginning to end and am quite incredulous at Epson's behaviour over this matter. You would have thought they would care about keeping any of their customers happy if there is a problem...and there clearly is a problem.

I have used Epson printers for years and have had problems but the printers were cheap so I swallowed and bought another. Several of my friends in the market for a large format printer have decided to buy Canon because of Epson's increasing reputation for ignoring their problems and complaints on their smaller domestic printers. This sort of behaviour reminds me of the days when Kodak thought they were untouchable and could do what they wanted despite customer concerns over some of their products. - in my case I was in a constant battle with them over their crap Kodachrome processing in the UK-  Look what has happened to them now.

All it would take would be for Epson to help these guys out with their printers and show some generosity. It would go some way to give a prospective buyer a bit of confidence that the printer he is just about to purchase isn't going to clog a few months down the line. Thanks to the internet lack of confidence in a product or a company can spread very quickly these days.

Pete

jmlamont

« Reply #510 on: March 21, 2012, 04:39:09 pm »

I have had a 7900 since September 2011, and had only minor clogging problems (once I turned off the automatic detection bug... I mean "feature"). And of course the print quality and everything else about the machine makes me happy, in fact extremely happy, every time I use it.

However, I can not help wondering why someone doesn't send the URL for this thread to someone high in Epson marketing? If they are deliberately ignoring us, this would make it explicit. If their behavior is due to ignorance of the problems here, then this would help to educate them. This issue, it seems to me, is too important to merely blow off steam here in a user forum. Action is called for if we are to have any peace of mind.

Anybody interested?

jeverton

« Reply #511 on: March 21, 2012, 06:16:14 pm »

Here I am about to take the plunge and buy a large format printer so this thread is very interesting to me. I have read all the posts from beginning to end and am quite incredulous at Epson's behaviour over this matter. You would have thought they would care about keeping any of their customers happy if there is a problem...and there clearly is a problem.

I have used Epson printers for years and have had problems but the printers were cheap so I swallowed and bought another. Several of my friends in the market for a large format printer have decided to buy Canon because of Epson's increasing reputation for ignoring their problems and complaints on their smaller domestic printers. This sort of behaviour reminds me of the days when Kodak thought they were untouchable and could do what they wanted despite customer concerns over some of their products. - in my case I was in a constant battle with them over their crap Kodachrome processing in the UK-  Look what has happened to them now.

All it would take would be for Epson to help these guys out with their printers and show some generosity. It would go some way to give a prospective buyer a bit of confidence that the printer he is just about to purchase isn't going to clog a few months down the line. Thanks to the internet lack of confidence in a product or a company can spread very quickly these days.

Pete

I know for a fact that “clic” has had talks with Epson management about this, so Epson is aware at least since then, a couple of months ago, and there is no telling if they were not already before then.  I also know that they have not addressed his arguments.  Actually it is even worse than that, but I am not at liberty to say what happened exactly.

From my own information, Epson is known in the photo industry for being a hard ball player, and for killing any bad publicity they could get, at all costs.  You guys may deduct from that all the possible conclusions that fit.

As far as I am concerned, I wouldn’t buy an Epson x900 or x890 printer with what’s hanging over those, especially when Canon has printers on the market which are much cheaper and do not require you to get the extended warranty since the head change is much cheaper and does not require a service tech.

I've also approached a law firm on this matter and plan to contact the state attorney general’s office...
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 06:27:03 pm by jeverton »

jeverton

« Reply #512 on: March 21, 2012, 06:24:49 pm »

However, I can not help wondering why someone doesn't send the URL for this thread to someone high in Epson marketing? If they are deliberately ignoring us, this would make it explicit. If their behavior is due to ignorance of the problems here, then this would help to educate them. This issue, it seems to me, is too important to merely blow off steam here in a user forum. Action is called for if we are to have any peace of mind.

Anybody interested? Yes!!!  Everyone should start by contacting their respective state attorney general's office to file a formal complaint.  In addition, we can capitalize and advocate these concerns on Epson’s social media sites.  This might raise a few more flags with Epson management.

blpanther

« Reply #513 on: March 21, 2012, 07:21:04 pm »

We're gone play the hardball now :)

Consumerlaw

« Reply #514 on: March 21, 2012, 08:08:08 pm »

I do class action litigation on behalf of consumers.   I’ve been following this issue for a couple of days now. 

If you have purchased an Epson Stylus Pro 7900 (24-inch) or an Epson Stylus Pro 9900, and have had clogging issues with your printer that have not been satisfactorily addressed by Epson, I would be very interested in talking with you further. 

Please send a private email to:
Consumerlaw1       at     earthlink   dot    net 

Please feel free to google the email address to verify my credentials:

https://www.google.com/search?q=%22Consumerlaw1%40earthlink.net%22&num=100&hl=en&lr=&as_qdr=all&prmd=imvns&filter=0&biw=1016&bih=624

In compliance with Rule 1-400 of the California Rules of Professional Conduct, I am required to include the following language with this message:  This is communication may result in professional employment for pecuniary gain.

rmyers

« Reply #515 on: March 21, 2012, 09:43:33 pm »

I do class action litigation on behalf of consumers.   I’ve been following this issue for a couple of days now. 

If you have purchased an Epson Stylus Pro 7900 (24-inch) or an Epson Stylus Pro 9900, and have had clogging issues with your printer that have not been satisfactorily addressed by Epson, I would be very interested in talking with you further. 

Please send a private email to:
Consumerlaw1       at     earthlink   dot    net 

Please feel free to google the email address to verify my credentials:

https://www.google.com/search?q=%22Consumerlaw1%40earthlink.net%22&num=100&hl=en&lr=&as_qdr=all&prmd=imvns&filter=0&biw=1016&bih=624

In compliance with Rule 1-400 of the California Rules of Professional Conduct, I am required to include the following language with this message:  This is communication may result in professional employment for pecuniary gain.

Ambulance chasing on LuLa?   :'(

Consumerlaw

« Reply #516 on: March 21, 2012, 10:32:01 pm »

Ambulance chasing on LuLa?   :'(

The term “ambulance chaser” (at least in my mind) evokes images of unscrupulous attorneys taking advantage of dazed and vulnerable casualties.  I don’t see injured people lying on stretchers here.  

What I do see is:

•   People have invested a lot of money in a product.  
•   That product isn’t performing as the manufacturer promised.  
•   The cost of repair is unconscionable, and the manufacturer refuses to step up to the plate to solve the problem to anyone’s satisfaction.  

In situations like this, large corporations hold all the cards, and they play them against their customers on a tilted playing field, without thinking twice.  

That’s where litigation can be useful.  Litigation it does several things simultaneously:

•   It levels the playing field;
•   It gets their attention;
•   It generally gets results.  

With almost 600 replies to this thread, there is a lot of consensus on the problem, but . . . Epson doesn’t seem to be listening.  

chichornio

« Reply #517 on: March 21, 2012, 10:55:15 pm »

I haven`t read all this "long and winding" thread... but all I can say about "clogging" issues is that: Buy an HP z Line (mine it`s a z3200ps) or a Canon LFP, and you`ll be happy. NO clogging issues and no need to suit a company.

rmyers

« Reply #518 on: March 21, 2012, 11:06:45 pm »

The term “ambulance chaser” (at least in my mind) evokes images of unscrupulous attorneys taking advantage of dazed and vulnerable casualties.  I don’t see injured people lying on stretchers here.  

What I do see is:

•   People have invested a lot of money in a product.  
•   That product isn’t performing as the manufacturer promised.  
•   The cost of repair is unconscionable, and the manufacturer refuses to step up to the plate to solve the problem to anyone’s satisfaction.  

In situations like this, large corporations hold all the cards, and they play them against their customers on a tilted playing field, without thinking twice.  

That’s where litigation can be useful.  Litigation it does several things simultaneously:

•   It levels the playing field;
•   It gets their attention;
•   It generally gets results.  

With almost 600 replies to this thread, there is a lot of consensus on the problem, but . . . Epson doesn’t seem to be listening.  

Have you read all 600 posts?  I have.  I don't think there is a consensus at all.  The OP is not even sure of the nature of the problem, clog or an electrical issue.  He has stated that the ink was expired and that the printer took a cross country trip in a truck.  Not sure of the packing for that trip, and I don't won't to look back and see if it was mentioned.  It is a bit premature to pin the blame for this problem on Epson.  I would also say that no post in this thread has stated the number of known "problems" with these printers compared to the number of units that have been sold.  Now if you want to start researching the number of people experiencing problems compared to the number of units sold and post some statistically significant information, let's have it.

Meanwhile, you have a total of two posts on this forum as a new member, and they are both solicitations.  Call it what you want.

jeverton

« Reply #519 on: March 21, 2012, 11:22:57 pm »

This goes way beyond the OP... And for those of us who are in this predicament it's time for action – enough speculation. 
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 77   Go Up