Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gluing Canvas on a Painted Door  (Read 3194 times)

Light Seeker

Gluing Canvas on a Painted Door
« on: January 24, 2012, 05:43:55 pm »

I've been commissioned to make a 2' x 6' canvas print and attach it to a painted, pantry door. That may sound a bit odd, but the customer has a combined kitchen, living room and entry area. There are three large, vertical pieces of artwork on the wall in question, adjacent to the pantry door. The objective is to put artwork over the door, transforming something that's an eyesore into something attractive.

The pantry door must be able to swing open, so I cannot mount the canvas onto stretcher bars and attach that to the door. Rather, I must glue the canvas directly to the door.

Is Miracle Muck suitable for this, or would you recommend something different? Will I have to prepare the surface? Will I have issues with canvas shrink or expansion?

Are there any other concerns I need to work through or conversely, is there another approach I should consider?

This is unknown territory for me, so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Terry.

deanwork

Re: Gluing Canvas on a Painted Door
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 05:56:57 pm »

I would use polyvinylacetate - PVA - glue. It is book binders glue. It is totally non-acidic and won't stain or discolor the canvas and it is super strong. It is used by museums to repair rare books, etc. You don't want to saturate the canvas with it, just enough to cover the whole surface lightly and then smooth out with a roller or something. I would paint it on with a brush.  Once it dries it is like concrete so don't think you can ever remove it because it is there forever.

j

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 06:37:51 pm »

+1 for phototex. Eliminates just about all the problems you may run into with canvas.
Someone walks by and puts a tear in the canvas you have a real mess to pull it off and replace it.
Also with canvas if the client decides they no longer want the print they have a real chore cleaning up and refinishing that door.
With Phototex you may not have that canvas texture but the removal and or replacement is a 5 minute job.

rmyers

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 06:58:39 pm »

Could you mount it on Dibond and attach the Dibond to the door?  Not as tall as stretcher bars. 

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 09:03:47 pm »

What about removing the door from it's hinges and doing a wrap where you fasten it on the inside of the door.  Presumably the door is going to stay closed for 23 hours and 50 minutes so the method of attachment is the pretty flexible.

Alan

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012, 05:44:41 am »

What about removing the door from it's hinges and doing a wrap where you fasten it on the inside of the door.  Presumably the door is going to stay closed for 23 hours and 50 minutes so the method of attachment is the pretty flexible.

Alan

Something I intended for the bathroom door but wonder if it is a good idea. The alternative, taking the door to a shop with a flatbed UV printer is probably cheaper, more wear resistant and no staples to be seen.

met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst

Shareware now:
Dinkla Gallery Canvas Wrap Actions for Photoshop
http://www.pigment-print.com/dinklacanvaswraps/index.htm

neile

• http://www.danecreekfolios.com
Neil Enns
Dane Creek Folio Covers. Limited edition Tuscan Sun and Citron covers are now in stock!

Light Seeker

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2012, 04:40:07 pm »

Wow! I'm overwhelmed with the responses. You guys are truly creative and knowledgeable (not that I didn't know that before).

The idea that jumps out the most is Phototex. I had no idea this product existed. It would fit this situation very well, along with some other things down the road.

I take it that the surface has some texture, or is it completely smooth?

How vibrant are the images, and how deep are the blacks?

Would I have any issues printing on it with my Canon 8300?

Can I coat it with Breathing Color Timeless?

Thanks again!

Terry.

neile

• http://www.danecreekfolios.com
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2012, 01:25:47 am »

I just looked at my test roll of Phototex (which I've sadly not found the time to print on yet). It is smooth. If you look closely you can see the weave of the fiber, but there's no way it's as textured as true canvas.

The sample print that came with the roll was as vibrant as I'd expect for matte paper (i.e. it an't Ilford GFS :))

There was a thread recently about printing PhotoTex on an 8300 where someone was complaining about getting the ink load right. It really should be doable though, it's basically a matte-like paper-ish thing.

No idea :)

Neil
Neil Enns
Dane Creek Folio Covers. Limited edition Tuscan Sun and Citron covers are now in stock!

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2012, 03:04:32 am »

I'd just print a slightly oversized image on a piece of canvas, apply a thick, highly wipable glossy coat, spray the heck out of the back of the print with Scotch 77 or some similar awful adhesive gunk, adhere to the door, and trim the edges.  Wait 1 day.  Come back with a a little bottle of coating and a brush and seal the edges of the canvas.  If needed you can probably destructively coax the canvas off with a heat gun and some patience, but you'd need to sand the door and repaint.

I've got a little test canvas in the kitchen that I coated about a year ago with Rust-Oleum "Crystal Clear Enamel" from a spray can I got at Lowes.  Mega-glossy, very tough, and still in great shape in spite of living near the coffee machine and microwave.  It's intended for topcoating.  Mounted on Gator.  Has been wiped many times.  Might be a better choice than say Glamour II or something since stretchability is pretty much a moot point on a mounted canvas.  I like the look, wish I was brave enough to use it extensively because it pops that matte canvas up to amazing brilliance.  Careful when you spray, it's really bad for you.

Whatever you do don't make promises about longevity other than to say it might last a couple years, but who knows.  Because nobody does.

Have always felt PhotoTex was a little lifeless looking, but it could do the job with a very low hassle factor.

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2012, 05:16:42 am »

I've laminated a few Photex prints and it really helps makes them pop. Seals print shield.
I have not done any real large ones to date, so I am not sure how that extra laminate material weight may affect hanging on the Phototex adhesive.
Clearstar 2000 also works on Phototex.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 09:28:12 am by Dan Berg »

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2012, 09:31:32 am »

IMHO, a print on Phototex won't have the print quality of an image printed on a high quality canvas.  I would take that into consideration with what the intent of the client is and estimated length of display.  The adhesive on Phototex is rather gentle and easily removed without damage to the underlying substrate. It will coat with a lighter protectant such as Premier Art Shield.  I've used this method for signage on floors, and it holds up surprisingly well.  It should coat well with better sealants such as Glamour II or Timeless.  I generated my own profile for an Epson 9800 and that worked very well.  ITSupplies has profiles for this media as well.

A more permanant alternative, albeit higher quality, would be to simply print on canvas if that's what the client wants.  I would remove the door (hope for a smooth door without "panels" otherwise you might want to consider a hard thin smooth substrate to attach to the door.  Glamour II works well as a mounting adhesive (not diluted) on the back of the canvas for a wet mount.  Rehang the door when dry.

Light Seeker

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2012, 01:39:30 pm »

I'm going to get some Phototex samples and make a small print on both it and canvas. Then I can sit down with the customer a talk through the pros and cons of each option.

Thanks everyone!

Terry.
Pages: [1]   Go Up