Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 3885 missing profiles in Snow Leopard  (Read 4663 times)

mephisto2061

• http://www.flickr.com/xposures
Epson 3885 missing profiles in Snow Leopard
« on: January 17, 2012, 12:31:33 pm »

Recently upgraded to snow leopard (from leopard) and reinstalled the 3885 driver from the Epson website. Problem is that all the Epson paper profiles (eg premium photo semigloss, archival matte) are now missing. Can't find them in ColorSync, can't find them in the driver installer package, can't find them online (Epson website does provide downloads for the more high end papers). I thought the profiles were supposed to be installed automatically with the driver (I think this is what happened with Leopard). Thoughts?

erichK

Re: Epson 3885/Snow Leopard-same problem
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 02:25:16 pm »

I have the same concern and problem.  Where did/do0 these profiles go.  Did read something about "hidden" libraries that can be unhidden via terminal commands, but am hesitant to go there, as my Unix is pretty rusty.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Re: Epson 3885/Snow Leopard-same problem
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 02:49:15 pm »

I have the same concern and problem.  Where did/do0 these profiles go.  Did read something about "hidden" libraries that can be unhidden via terminal commands, but am hesitant to go there, as my Unix is pretty rusty.

Hold down the Alt (Option) key when using the Go menu. The user library folder is listed below the current users home directory
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

mephisto2061

Re: Epson 3885 missing profiles in Snow Leopard
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 08:40:01 pm »

hmm I'll try this but shouldn't the standard profiles that come with the 3885 be in the ColorSync profile folders / found by Lightroom automatically? All worked seamlessly on Leopard.

mephisto2061

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012, 08:57:04 am »

I've searched my entire computer for .icc files, for profiles names that used to exist (e.g. PremiumSemiglossPhotoPaper) etc. they are just not there.  This is a bit ridiculous. I must be missing something obvious, but i've seen other people post about the same problem in several forums, and no solutions....  ??? ??? ???

howardm

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2012, 09:07:14 am »

no.  the profiles that Epson & Canon provide as part of their printer driver packages live somewhere in /Library/Printers/......

hmm I'll try this but shouldn't the standard profiles that come with the 3885 be in the ColorSync profile folders / found by Lightroom automatically? All worked seamlessly on Leopard.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2012, 10:28:04 am »

no.  the profiles that Epson & Canon provide as part of their printer driver packages live somewhere in /Library/Printers/......

Deep in a package. Easiest thing to do is find them by going into the ColorSync utility which will show their location.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

howardm

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2012, 10:39:06 am »

Not in a package (at least for me  :-\ )  on a Lion MBP w/ 3800

[HJM-MBP:Pro38.profiles/Contents/Resources] howardm% pwd
/Library/Printers/EPSON/InkjetPrinter2/ICCProfiles/Pro38.profiles/Contents/Resources

[HJM-MBP:Pro38.profiles/Contents/Resources] howardm% ls
Epson_SP3800_Cold_Press_Bright_MK_v1.icc       Epson_SP3800_Premium_Canvas_Matte_MK_v1.icc           Pro38 PGPP.icc      Pro38 SWMP.icc
Epson_SP3800_Cold_Press_Natural_MK_v1.icc      Epson_SP3800_Standard_Proofing_Paper_240_PK_v1.icc    Pro38 PLPP.icc      Pro38 SWMP_LD.icc
Epson_SP3800_Exhibition_Fiber_Paper_PK_v1.icc  Epson_SP3800_Standard_Proofing_Paper_SWOP3_PK_v2.icc  Pro38 PPSmC.icc     Pro38 USFAP.icc
Epson_SP3800_Hot_Press_Bright_MK_v1.icc        Pro38 ARMP.icc                                        Pro38 PQIJP_MK.icc  Pro38 VFAP.icc
Epson_SP3800_Hot_Press_Natural_MK_v1.icc       Pro38 EMP.icc                                         Pro38 PSPP.icc      Pro38 WCRW.icc

francois

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2012, 01:24:00 pm »

Not in a package (at least for me  :-\ )  on a Lion MBP w/ 3800

To make things clear enough, the Pro38.profiles is a package but the path provided by Howard, leads you directly at the profiles…
Francois

erichK

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2012, 05:11:22 pm »

To make things clear enough, the Pro38.profiles is a package but the path provided by Howard, leads you directly at the profiles…

How do I find these - the standard, Epson-supplied for papers like Premium Luster - profiles and activate them as options in the print module of Lightroom?   I am aware that the Epson paper profiles were in a different place from the ones I added for Hahnemuhle and Ilford process, but am, like the OP, frustrated at not being able to find them at all. Neither the Colorsynch utility nor any search through finder has been able to find them for me.  I the path Howard provides accessible through Terminal?

francois

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2012, 05:24:01 am »

You don't need the Terminal to go to that folder… In the Finder: Go > Got to Folder… (CMD + Shift + G), then you can type the path indicated by Howard above… On my Mac, the path is "/Library/Printers/EPSON/InkjetPrinter2/ICCProfiles/Pro38.profiles/" (without the quotes, for my Epson 3800), see screenshot.

Lightroom should show them in the Print module.

Francois

mephisto2061

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2012, 08:08:51 am »

How do I find these - the standard, Epson-supplied for papers like Premium Luster - profiles and activate them as options in the print module of Lightroom?   I am aware that the Epson paper profiles were in a different place from the ones I added for Hahnemuhle and Ilford process, but am, like the OP, frustrated at not being able to find them at all. Neither the Colorsynch utility nor any search through finder has been able to find them for me.  I the path Howard provides accessible through Terminal?

ErichK, I've managed to get my standard profiles back on Lion. I'm not sure exactly why this worked, but I deleted ALL the Epson folders in my Mac (there were no .icc files in the library Epson folders anyway), reinstalled ALL the Epson software from the original CD (including all the "accessory" software, not just the drivers) and the profiles reappeared after a restart. Hope this works for you.

erichK

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2012, 12:55:58 am »

ErichK, I've managed to get my standard profiles back on Lion. I'm not sure exactly why this worked, but I deleted ALL the Epson folders in my Mac (there were no .icc files in the library Epson folders anyway), reinstalled ALL the Epson software from the original CD (including all the "accessory" software, not just the drivers) and the profiles reappeared after a restart. Hope this works for you.

Thank you for your help.  I did try downloading and installing the latest drivers, but did not delete the Epson library and other folders.  Will try this tomorrow.  It suggests that the Lion installation process is deleting or disabling software it Apple has no business touching.  It will be a big relief to get Epson's standard profiles back, as I have had nothing but grief trying to generate my own using ColorMunki.

bwana

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2012, 08:09:56 am »

that folder cannot be reached from the finder using 'go' unless you are running as root.you get a permissions error. in other words, the best way is to navigate to the folder
/Library/Printers/EPSON/InkjetPrinter2/ICCProfiles/Pro38.profiles/
and control click on the profile to see its 'contents' The actual icc is in there. copy it to the color sync folder and there you go.
Pages: [1]   Go Up