Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon G1x  (Read 29309 times)

BJL

DxO review G1X and GX1
« Reply #60 on: February 01, 2012, 07:34:19 pm »

The sensor bests everything in a related category except the new Panasonic GX1 in low light/high ISO.
"This year's two best compact cameras bought to you by the letters "G" and "X" and the number 1." (Apologies to Sesame Street)

It is hardly a surprise that on sensor specs, the biggest sensor compared scores best. This only becomes a clear win under the heading of "compact camera" if it is also about as compact as the alternatives. That is still a tricky comparison to make: the GX1 with 14-42 "X" lens is substantially lighter (about 400 vs 530 grams) and less high (68 vs 80.5 mm), but  the weight is partly through a smaller zoom range (3x vs 4x)?

P. S. given all the complaints about Panasonic's sensors being noisier than the competition, the high ISO noise advantage for the GX1 over the G1X, even with more pixels on a smaller sensor, is a surprise.

NikoJorj

• http://nikojorj.free.fr/
Re: DxO review G1X and GX1
« Reply #61 on: February 02, 2012, 02:32:53 am »

P. S. given all the complaints about Panasonic's sensors being noisier than the competition, the high ISO noise advantage for the GX1 over the G1X, even with more pixels on a smaller sensor, is a surprise.
Keep in mind than the G1X sensor (14x19mm) is cactually loser to µ4/3 (13.5x18mm) than to APSC (15x22 or 16x23mm depending on brands)...
And it seems that Canon still didn't do his homework very well for read noise. :-\
Nicolas from Grenoble
A small gallery

dreed

« Reply #62 on: February 02, 2012, 09:56:55 am »

Keep in mind than the G1X sensor (14x19mm) is cactually loser to µ4/3 (13.5x18mm) than to APSC (15x22 or 16x23mm depending on brands)...
And it seems that Canon still didn't do his homework very well for read noise. :-\

My bet is on this being a short time to market camera and that they're just using the same sensor as in their current 18MP APS-C cameras such as the 7D rather than something new. If Canon were smart and started a G2X project at the same time (or close enough to) as the G1X to use the next-gen sensor, then lookout...

BJL

« Reply #63 on: February 02, 2012, 10:20:32 am »

My bet is ... they're just using the same sensor as in their current 18MP APS-C cameras such as the 7D ...
Quite likely the same cell [photosite] design as in the 7D, 60D, 550D and 600D, since there is no newer cell design in any Canon DSLR except the very different 1DX. But in a new smaller sensor: I doubt that Canon is just covering up the extra 4mm of sensor area at the sides with black tape!

Things change fast if the sensor technology in the four models atop Canon's current EF-S DSLR range, including one model from 2011, is now "out of date" and behind Panasonic in the "ISO race"! (*)

(*) To me, the ISO race is getting as silly as the MP race: striving to reduce IQ problems that are already far less noticeable than with the equipment used to take most great photographs of the 20th century ... or even the previous decade. I think that most of us, from family snap-shooters to professional photographers of sports and news events, will get more from the "focus accuracy and speed race".
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up