Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nikon Announces D4 !  (Read 11126 times)

BJL

Re: Nikon Announces D4 !
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2012, 09:05:33 pm »

Looks like the MP race is over.
I see it differently: Canon and Nikon have both somewhat increased the resolution of their high frame-rate, bulletproof-bodied "Olympics" cameras, for sports and PJ: 1DMkIV -> 1DX, D3S->D4. It still seems likely that both will next offer new, higher resolution models for the "MF replacement" sector, like the rumored Nikon D800. But maybe they will abandon the bulky integrated vertical grip designs for that category.

K.C.

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2012, 10:13:13 pm »

There may be some truth to that as far as Canon and Nikon are concerned... in that camera makers are no longer touting mp's as a main upgrade feature of their cameras.  I don't think that means we won't see much higher resolution sensors in cameras, there is plenty of room for quality improvements in resolution ... even far beyond 36mp.

Wayne understood the point I was trying to make when I said it looks like the MP race is over.

Clearly there will be higher res bodies, but fortunately is seems that's no longer the sole marketing point of each new camera.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2012, 02:10:04 am »

Wayne understood the point I was trying to make when I said it looks like the MP race is over.

Clearly there will be higher res bodies, but fortunately is seems that's no longer the sole marketing point of each new camera.

It was in fact over the day Nikon presented the D3 four years ago.

Cheers,
Bernard

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2012, 02:35:24 am »

Hi,

D3 - 12 MP
D4 - 16 MP

Keep in mind that D# series are intended for sports and low light.

The X-series is for studio/landscape type of users who shoot low ISO

D3X - 24 MP
D4X - 36 MP

Todays 16 MP APS-C sensors (Pentax K5, Nikon D7000, Sony SLT A55 etc) correspond exactly to 36 MP when scaled up to full frame, so the technology is here and kicking. My guess is that todays 16 MP cameras are not very far from the Nikon D3X, Sony Alpha 900 and Canon 5DII. I have tested my stuff (Sony) and that is certainly the case.

It is pretty sure that we will see a Nikon D800 with 36 MP very soon. Going from 24 MP to 36 MP is a minor step, that probably will not be visible in prints.

I would not call it a mega pixel race, but there is an evolution going on on sensors and one of the effects of that is more pixels.

It's exactly as with film. We had different directions, films intended for high ISO (Tri-X) and for high resolution (Panatonix-X, T-MAX 100, Technical Pan).

Best regards
Erik

Looks like the MP race is over.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/01/05/nikon-d4-dslr-camera/
Erik Kaffehr

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2012, 02:45:44 am »

Hi,

I have a Sony Alpha 55 SLT, with 16 MP APS-C which exactly matches 36 MP on full frame. It has a weak AA-filter, no AA-filter or the "translucent" mirror acts as a week AA-filter.

Essentially, I see color moiré in all my test shots. Real life, I don't know! I see some ugly artifacts on some shots and it produces a lot of fake texture, I think. But sure I am not.

My view is that I would rather have more pixels with corresponding AA-filtering than fewer pixels with no AA-filter.

On the other hand, my 16 MP APS-C is quite close to my 24 MP full frame in sharpness. The downsize is that the images from the 16 MP are harsher and don't sharpen as well.

Best regards
Erik

Hi Phil,

About AA or no AA, I frankly don't know. On the principle I prefer a AA filter because the real life impact on sharpness is small while the near total lack of artifacts results in an image that is truer to the scene and faster to process (no need to waste time looking for moire that you often only see in large prints). Now, I often do panos also, so the 5% sharpness loss resulting from the AA filter is mostly unsignificant.

Then it is about whether you can deal with the fact that your images will need a degree of sharpening to appear sharp at 100% on screen. It seems that many folks enjoy the immediateness if sharpness when opening an image shot with an AA filter less device, whether the details are real or not.

Now Pentax has shown that very clean AA filter less files are possible, so I would say that we'll have to wait for actual images).

As far as being able to shoot sharp images hand held, if I judge from my d7000, the answer is yes when using live view. I am rarely 100% satisfied by AF images when using a lens wide open. Some place is critically sharp but not always exactly the one I would want to be.

Cheers,
Bernard

« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 12:09:15 pm by ErikKaffehr »
Erik Kaffehr

theguywitha645d

« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2012, 11:58:30 am »

It's exactly as with film. We had different directions, films intended for high ISO (Tri-X) and for high resolution (Panatonix-X, T-MAX 100, Technical Pan).

Best regards
Erik

+1

BJL

MP's were never touted as a main upgrade feature for "PJ" cameras like the D4
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2012, 05:53:07 pm »

... camera makers are no longer touting mp's as a main upgrade feature of their cameras.
Canon and Nikon have never used MP's as the main upgrade feature for the 1D-1DMkII-1DMkIII-1DMkIV-1DX or D1H-D2H-D3-D3s-D4 sequence of "PJ/sports" cameras designed for high frame rates, high shutter speeds and so on. So in that context, I do not see a change yet from evidence like the D4 announcement. Let us wait until we have a fuller round of SLR upgrades with no headlining of MP increases before drawing that conclusion.

And by the way, it seems that the usual web-site "negligee of secrecy" around forthcoming cameras has been seen through again, with a likely D800 image floating around, so I guess we will know more within a week.

nik

• Nick Vasilopoulos Photography
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2012, 08:10:08 pm »

What stuns me in the 'where's the logic' department, is WHY incorporate an ethernet connector that only runs at 100Mb/s (ie 12.5MB/s theoretical max) on a camera that shoots 10 or more frames a second?! Instant bottleneck.

1000Mb/s (Gigabit) has been an ethernet standard for years and IS included on the comparable Canon 1D-X.

It boggles my mind. Was it cost? USB 2 would be faster. Someone please explain it to me as I can't work it out.

-Nik

This is who the D4 is aimed at - it even has an ethernet plug!  It's a camera for journalism, sports and others who need speed/high ISO/durability/rapid access over resolution.  

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2012, 11:22:15 pm »

If this camera has 8x less noise at ISO 6400 than my 5D2 I would consider buying it to finally appease my yearning for smooth-as-silk, hdr, focus-stacked, night time stitched panoramas.  Otherwise no deal.  Any unfounded opinions?  ;)

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2012, 06:27:08 am »

What stuns me in the 'where's the logic' department, is WHY incorporate an ethernet connector that only runs at 100Mb/s (ie 12.5MB/s theoretical max) on a camera that shoots 10 or more frames a second?! Instant bottleneck.

1000Mb/s (Gigabit) has been an ethernet standard for years and IS included on the comparable Canon 1D-X.

It boggles my mind. Was it cost? USB 2 would be faster. Someone please explain it to me as I can't work it out.

The high throughput output of the D4 is HDMI that can stream uncompressed video in 1080p.

The ethernet and wifi are mostly meant at allowing for jpg transfer for immediate viewing and remote control while the heavy data is stored in local media.

Cheers,
Bernard

allegretto

« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2012, 09:43:00 am »

I love coming here, so much knowledge, truly a great place to learn about the Science of digital photography.

As a "serious amateur" who has an equipment Jones the recent advances in technology are just amazing to me.

A would kill for a camera that no longer requires a heavy flash unit to make it ridiculously imbalanced or my left hand to be holding said heavy flash as I take images of things that interest me. This camera seems all that. Sadly, it's sooooo darn BIG and HEAVY! Is there a reason an instrument as useful as this needs to be so honking large? Are there special electronics or...???

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2012, 01:55:48 pm »

Is there a reason an instrument as useful as this needs to be so honking large? Are there special electronics or...???

All that extra weight damps out high frequency vibrations as from body twitches etc.  Until your arms fall off, or you become paralyzed from the strap distorting your neck vertebrae.

IMHO if that camera has a viewfinder as nice as the D3, and that has something to do with the weight, then it's worth it.

Isn't "uncompressed" video over HDMI 10 bits?  Not bad, but also not strictly "broadcast quality" when claimed for a camera.

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2012, 02:31:21 am »

The high throughput output of the D4 is HDMI that can stream uncompressed video in 1080p.

The ethernet and wifi are mostly meant at allowing for jpg transfer for immediate viewing and remote control while the heavy data is stored in local media.

One more piece of information on this. When in HTTP mode, it seems that it is possible to remotely access the memory card of the D4, select which images need to be downloaded and to download them.

Think of an editor during a sports event working with 4 photographers in the field with ethernet/wifi connections. The editor would be able to review the images shot by his team on the fly in their cameras and download the jpg versions of the images that seem OK... If that doesn't scream Olympics...

Regards,
Bernard

nik

• Nick Vasilopoulos Photography
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2012, 09:46:32 pm »

Bernard,

I am well aware of the potential net-workable uses of this camera, I have wanted this ability for a long time but I suppose this camera is not for me then as I care about RAW only. Hopefully Nikon and other manufacturers will make an HTTP server standard in every camera from now on and include a GB network port on some of those cameras for those of us who shoot tethered RAW. I will test the D4's performance tethered via RJ45 once it comes out, maybe all my griping will be for nothing.

-N

One more piece of information on this. When in HTTP mode, it seems that it is possible to remotely access the memory card of the D4, select which images need to be downloaded and to download them.

Think of an editor during a sports event working with 4 photographers in the field with ethernet/wifi connections. The editor would be able to review the images shot by his team on the fly in their cameras and download the jpg versions of the images that seem OK... If that doesn't scream Olympics...

Regards,
Bernard

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up