Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is anyone using Profile Maker to construct profiles  (Read 5130 times)

AltGirl

Is anyone using Profile Maker to construct profiles
« on: January 03, 2012, 11:08:47 am »

I am working on making a set of profiles for the Epson Stylus Pro 7880 using Profile Maker.

When I print a test image (a 21 step wedge with a few test images) the profile seems to work fine - but when I apply the profile to a different image, the print is totally off.

I am applying the profile in the printer driver - could this be the issue?

Or could Profile Maker be the issue? Is this a reliable program for making profiles?

madmanchan

• Web
Re: Is anyone using Profile Maker to construct profiles
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 11:20:33 am »

How did you print the original targets?
Eric Chan

AltGirl

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2012, 11:35:52 am »

I printed the test image with no profile what so ever first (and it looked pretty bad). I then amended the profile and got a 21 step wedge that I was happy with.

The test images were printed on a different printer originally. I ensured that there was no profile embedded in the file and then applied the new profile (in the printer driver) to this image and it looked terrible.

I am using the profiling software "Profile Maker" - is this a reliable way to create profiles?

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012, 03:02:45 pm »

I printed the test image with no profile what so ever first (and it looked pretty bad). I then amended the profile and got a 21 step wedge that I was happy with.

The test images were printed on a different printer originally. I ensured that there was no profile embedded in the file and then applied the new profile (in the printer driver) to this image and it looked terrible.

I am using the profiling software "Profile Maker" - is this a reliable way to create profiles?

I am not sure I follow.

Are you saying that the targets with printed on a different printer than the one you are now printing with? How different (as in a different 7880. or different model?)
I used Profile Maker pro 5  software   before updating to it's replacement, i1 Profiler but did not have  problems like the ones you are describing.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 03:04:48 pm by Ellis Vener »

AltGirl

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, 03:21:58 pm »

My apologies - I printed the image I was testing with (not the target image) on a Canon with great success first. I then applied the new profile I created for my Epson 7880 to this file. I chose this image because I had a print of the test image that I was happy with and wanted to see if I could replicate it with the Epson.

Is the i1 Profile program an update for Profile Maker or is this a completely new program?
I would like to create profiles for several different types of paper and do not want to monkey around too much.

Ellis Vener

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2012, 03:31:03 pm »

My apologies - I printed the image I was testing with (not the target image) on a Canon with great success first. I then applied the new profile I created for my Epson 7880 to this file. I chose this image because I had a print of the test image that I was happy with and wanted to see if I could replicate it with the Epson.

Thank you for the clarification. Now for more questions!

1) Which Canon?
2) What target did you use?
2) What settings did you use in Profile Maker 5 to create the target?

Is the i1 Profile program an update for Profile Maker or is this a completely new program?
I would like to create profiles for several different types of paper and do not want to monkey around too much.

Xrite's i1 Profiler software replaces the now discontinued Profile Maker 5 software.

AltGirl

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2012, 03:59:05 pm »

Thank you for the help!

I use a Canon ipf9000 for my larger scale work (approximately 60" in size).
I am trying to get a similar output on an Epson Stylus Pro 7880.

I got my target off the web - it is the 'Digital Dog' Target.

I got my test strip from Profile Maker (i1 TC 9.1 RGB) - I use the EyeOne Pro Spectrometer.
The first test strip is printed with no color corrections at all.

In profile maker I set parameters to:
Profile Size: Larger
Perceptual Rendering Intent: Relative Colormetric
Gammut: Logo Colorful
I have never used the "separation" button before.

I then calculate the data and print a target with a Shirley and a 21 step wedge to judge the accuracy of the profile.

I then assign the new profile to the test strip in the printer driver, reprint, measure the data and calculate a new profile.

Do I have to ensure that both the profile on the printer driver and the image profile? I typically work with an image in Adobe RGB (1998) and assign a profile at the last stages.

Thank you for all of the help!

Ellis Vener

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2012, 04:07:36 pm »

Thank you for the help!

I use a Canon ipf9000 for my larger scale work (approximately 60" in size).
I am trying to get a similar output on an Epson Stylus Pro 7880.

I got my target off the web - it is the 'Digital Dog' Target.

I got my test strip from Profile Maker (i1 TC 9.1 RGB) - I use the EyeOne Pro Spectrometer.
The first test strip is printed with no color corrections at all.

In profile maker I set parameters to:
Profile Size: Larger
Perceptual Rendering Intent: Relative Colormetric
Gammut: Logo Colorful
I have never used the "separation" button before.

I then calculate the data and print a target with a Shirley and a 21 step wedge to judge the accuracy of the profile.

I then assign the new profile to the test strip in the printer driver, reprint, measure the data and calculate a new profile.

Do I have to ensure that both the profile on the printer driver and the image profile? I typically work with an image in Adobe RGB (1998) and assign a profile at the last stages.

Thank you for all of the help!
Andrew  "The Digital Dog" Rodney should chime in here as he is a regular but I believe we are confusing terms here. I'd call that image of his more ofa test image to see how colors are actually reproducing and what you are calling a test strip, a target.

With Profile Maker 5 I used Bill Atkinson's profiling target. See http://homepage.mac.com/billatkinson/FileSharing2.html and if you are unfamiliar with who he is  see http://www,billatkinson.com  and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Atkinson

pfigen

• http://www.peterfigen.com
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2012, 02:30:18 am »

There are a lot of unknowns here, like what program you used to print your profile target, whether you were really printing with no color management, and what operating system as well. If you're on a Mac, there are way too many variables and quite a few bugs that can bite you. In addition, there is another bug using ProfileMaker profiles with Mac Snow Leopard and Ps CS5.

There might also be some confusion about when to use Assign Profile.

Ellis Vener

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2012, 01:17:22 pm »

There might also be some confusion about when to use Assign Profile.

An excellent point, and one that  I missed.

Try Converting to the profile instead of assigning it.  Use perceptual rendering intent instead of relative colorimetric  as well.

LenR

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2012, 02:14:27 pm »

I'm using PM 5 so if you are using something else the window references below may not be valid.

If you're sure you are printing the test chart without color management
AND
If you linearized you printer
AND
Set your individual ink reductions for the media
AND
have established the media's ink limit
THEN
1) open PM  
2) in the 2 windows on the left add the "text" file of your test chart in the top (Reference Data) window and add the measured data from your test chart  to the box below it (Measurement Data).  
3) set your params on the right (I'm on v5 so for me Perceptual Rendering intent selects how grays are created given paper color.  I choose "Paper colored gray")

NOTE the Separation settings are where the rubber meets the road!

Once you've created a profile don't even bother printing the test chart using that profile.
Print an image and evaluate.  

Hope this helps

MonsterBaby

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2012, 05:53:55 pm »

... if you have the chance to choose seperations your are building a CMYK profile.. which is WRONG!.. unless you use a RIP which you never mentioned??

so there are some basic problems i spose

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2012, 06:55:24 pm »

Assuming you're describing Gretag MacBeth's ProfileMaker Pro 5, Yes it is a very good and reliable program.
However you do need to know what you're doing to use it properly. Not only with respect to printing the charts needed for measurement to build the profiles, but also how the program's options need to be set and finally you need to know how to use a colour managed workflow to use the resultant profile correctly.

Either you're commenting here too quickly to make enough sense for people to help you or maybe you don't understand some aspects of the above process sufficiently yet.

When seeking advice on colour management issues it is essential to give exact details of all the equipment, software, OS, processes and settings you're using, in standard terms, for the community and experts here to be able to help you effectively.

AltGirl

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2012, 10:18:39 pm »

I just wanted to thank everyone for their great help! It really goes to show how far I have yet to go in understanding profile creation.

I have been making head way with all of these valuable comments.

Thanks again,
AltGirl

Ellis Vener

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2012, 10:22:14 pm »

Glad to be of help!
Pages: [1]   Go Up