Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: PKS vs PKS2 capture sharpening contour masks  (Read 1996 times)

Frankomatic

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 21
PKS vs PKS2 capture sharpening contour masks
« on: January 02, 2012, 02:30:32 pm »

The contour masks in PKS2 appear to be the opposite of those in PKS.  See screenshot.

Is this by design?

Regards,
Frank
Logged

Schewe

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 6231
    • http:www.schewephoto.com
Re: PKS vs PKS2 capture sharpening contour masks
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2012, 06:54:17 pm »

I can't duplicate your results on my machine...

Also, is there a reason your PKS screenshot has "copy" on the end? Pretty sure PKS doesn't do that.
Logged

Frankomatic

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 21
Re: PKS vs PKS2 capture sharpening contour masks
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2012, 03:35:45 am »

The machine is running Windows XP Pro SP3 with CS5 and PKS2 v2.0.4.

You're right, PKS didn't write "copy" on the end.  Because I no longer have PKSv1 installed, I duplicated those layers in the original PSD where I previously used v1 then dragged them over to a PSD file where PKS2 was being used with a newer version of the background layer.  I needed to recreate the sharpening effects for the newer background layer.  In hindsight I didn't need to duplicate the layers, I could have dragged the entire layer set instead.  But that's why you see "copy" added to the end.

Here's an updated screenshot from the PSD where PKSv1 was originally used.  At the top of the stack I generated the same capture sharpening effect but using PKS v2.  Results on my machine are predictable, does it every time.

I couldn't understand why I was no longer able to get acceptable capture sharpening from PKS2.  It wasn't until I started recreating the same sharpening effects that I applied to this older image using PKSv1 that I noticed the difference in contour masks between the two versions.

EDIT: I just installed PKS v1.2.9 to see if that could shed light on something.  Now v1 is generating the same types of white-ish contour masks as v2.  It didn't do that before, in fact this is the same version that produced the dark-ish masks in my screenshots.  Don't know if it has anything to do with both PKS versions being installed at the same time, so I uninstalled v1 and will wait to hear what you suggest.

Judging from the image used in your screenshot, and how the sky and the dark area in shade on the left side of the mountain appear dark in your masks, it seems that similar areas in my image should also appear dark in my masks and not white.  Would you agree that the masks are off for some reason?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 07:52:07 am by Frankomatic »
Logged

Schewe

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 6231
    • http:www.schewephoto.com
Re: PKS vs PKS2 capture sharpening contour masks
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012, 12:04:10 pm »

I would trash your Photoshop Preferences...
Logged

Frankomatic

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 21
Re: PKS vs PKS2 capture sharpening contour masks
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, 02:07:42 pm »

Thanks Jeff, that did the trick. :)
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up