Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: FS: GALVIN 2X3 VIEW CAMERA OUTFIT  (Read 5683 times)

BillTheis

FS: GALVIN 2X3 VIEW CAMERA OUTFIT
« on: January 02, 2012, 12:03:52 am »

I have a total of three (3!) Galvin view camera's and am letting one go with a collection of lenses since it's hard to justify having this many.  You can buy the entire outfit which includes tripod, LowePro case, or just pieces. 
About the Galvin:   Used to be hand built by camera repairman Jim Galvin (hence rougher than the modern machine built cameras), and lack geared movements. Their main strength is the size and weight: 1.2kg.  The major shortcoming is the stock knobs, which have been exchanged for custom Winco variety so things lock down nice and tight.  Perhaps the best part of this camera is the back, which swings open widely enough to accept a 120 rollholder and the spring does not obstruct the rollholders advance lever!  Many people buy the camera for the back and move it over to their other 6x9 camera's!  (see the photographs).  the conclusion of the review comparing the Galvin to Toyo is "In my opinion, for landscapes, in the hands of a patient photographer, the Galvin is probably the best choice".  I agree!

PHOTOS OF THE ACTUAL CAMERA FOR SALE!

CAMERA:  GALVIN 2X3 VIEW CAMERA-  SERIAL #1421. COSMETICALLY SHOWS A BIT OF WEAR BUT STILL IN GOOD SHAPE.  BELLOWS ARE SUPPLE AND LIGHT TIGHT.  This is the highly desirable version with detachable extension rail.   There were two models. One has a combination of 9 cm and 5 cm monorails, the other only has a 9 cm rail. Galvin himself described the 9 cm model a bust. You set up the camera on the 5cm rail for transport and infinity focus a 100mm. It is then so small that you might even hand-hold the camera for landscapes. Maybe the smallest view camera ever made other than Gowland's. Bellows are not intechangeable. No wide-angle bellows were made.  Rail holders of the front and rear standards have a teflon-like material so that the teflon can wrap around the rail rod in order to make the slide smooth. Focusing is by rack and pinion with a knob on either the front or rear standard. Again, the OEM knobs have been replaced with Winco custom knobs.  Satin Snow ground glass (spare included).  A lensboard adapter to Zone VI and/or Linhoff is thrown in but it needs a little work to act properly.  Rollholder backs usually go for $50-70 apiece.  these are the newer kind which have the little stainless rollers by the opening and keep the film flatter.
Price:  US $399.95 bare camera with two 120 rollholders/darkslides
---------------------------------------------------------
LENSES (all on Galvin boards):
58MM F-5.6 Rodenstock Grandagon. SERIAL #5708039 Some edge seperation internally.  This lens is on a Galvin board modified to include a Graflex XL focusing tube (can be used on EITHER camera without modification)   $325.00
75MM F-4.5 Rodenstock Grandagon. SERIAL #8786376  $275.00.  This lens focuses from infinity down to a few inches ON THE SHORT RAIL.
150MM F-5.6 Schneider Apo-Symmar SERIAL #14426896  $495.00
210MM F-5.6 Schneider Symmar-S (non convertible) SERIAL #13776042  $375.00
ACCESORIES:
Gitzo 306 (or Leitz tiltall tripod--your choice) with 3047 Bogen head, mounting plate  $99
Lowepro Trekker AW pack $59
-----------------------------------------------------------
COMPLETE OUTFIT $1600 + shipping.
(almost $2000 if purchased as pieces)
-------------------------------------------------------------
I did quite a bit of research to price things but for some there were few examples so I may be high on some and low on others.  I also have other focal lengths available but these are redundant to others I will be keeping.  For example, if you want a 210MM Sironar-S, I could give you that for $875 instead of the Schneider for $340.  I also have Graplex XL cameras that I can part with so that the 58mm Gradagon can be used on both, as would the rollholders.

williamtheis@hotmail.com

mediumcool

Re: FS: GALVIN 2X3 VIEW CAMERA OUTFIT
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2012, 12:31:25 am »

I wanted a Galvin so badly in the ’70s. Wonder if I could adapt one to take a digital back?   ;D
FaceBook facebook.com/ian.goss.39   www.mlkshk.com/user/mediumcool

BillTheis

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2012, 12:36:26 am »

you would have to remove the spring back entirely and then replace it with the adapter to whatever digital back you have (i.e. hasselblad, mamiya, etc) much like in the Arca swiss.  This is **NOT** a graflok back.  But... it could be done

mediumcool

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, 12:42:56 am »

you would have to remove the spring back entirely and then replace it with the adapter to whatever digital back you have (i.e. hasselblad, mamiya, etc) much like in the Arca swiss.  This is **NOT** a graflok back.  But... it could be done

i got a Toyo VX23D off LuLa about a year ago, so should get that working instead.  :(

BillTheis

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2012, 12:46:17 am »

you did see the comparison with the toyo?
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/cameras/toyo/toyo-galvin-2x3.html

well should you need some glass to help you get it going, I'm selling some...

mediumcool

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2012, 02:38:44 am »

you did see the comparison with the toyo?
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/cameras/toyo/toyo-galvin-2x3.html

Diff model Toyo.

well should you need some glass to help you get it going, I'm selling some...

Looking for something in the 100–135 range to complement my 45mm Rodenstock Apo Sironar Digital.

Good luck!  ;D

BillTheis

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2012, 11:11:15 pm »

75mm grandagon sold.... price of outfit reduced to $1250 less this lens (but with extra copal 0 lensboard).  Have 100mm symmar convertible if you need to fill the gap between 58mm and 150mm
Pages: [1]   Go Up