Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hp universal mat canvas Cracks !  (Read 1902 times)

lighthunter

Hp universal mat canvas Cracks !
« on: December 31, 2011, 07:54:52 am »

Hi All
Iam now trying my new hp z3200 printer
I print a photo  on HP Universal mat canvas  and sprayed it with mat varnish
When i   mount it on wood fram ...the canavs cracks as seen in pic below

Why this happened ? and how to avoid it

robertDthomas

• Robert Thomas Photography
Re: Hp universal mat canvas Cracks !
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2011, 08:19:49 am »

Yes pretty bad cracking there.  I have had some cracking with HP professional mat canvas but it was due to my improper mixing of Breathing Color Timeless Matte varnish.  That varnish has to be mixed thoroughly and once I spent a bit more time mixing my cracking problems were gone.  I would suspect if you do not have to stir and mixup your varnish it may be that you have too thin a coating.

lighthunter

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2011, 01:26:00 pm »

Hi Again
i try to fold unprinted piece of the canvas and it is cracked !!!
the coating breaks like Biscuit
is this normal for  Hp universal mat canvas  ????

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2011, 02:34:37 pm »

Have never used the HP canvas, but canvases with heavy weave texture crack more readily that those with finer textures.  That HP canvas seems to have a very coarse texture.

With canvases like that your best option is to make the smoothest possible folds and bends.  Don't pull too hard when you are working on the corners, and don't pinch the folds.

And of course stretch the canvas soon after coating.  In my dry climate the best time to stretch is just a few hours after spraying while the coatings are still soft and flexible.

Just a wild guess here...you said you sprayed it with matte varnish.  Are you using Glamour II Matte without dilution?  You should always use a mixture of gloss and matte.  The matte varnishes have very fine powder suspended in the solution and are not as flexible as the pure glossy varnishes.

Damir

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2012, 01:09:57 am »

It is not normal, I used universal mat canvas without any problem, with or without coating.

Had some problem with artist matte canvas without coating - ink smears, but no cracks at all.
Pages: [1]   Go Up