Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 5 full hours (300 minutes) in Tokyo - what to do?  (Read 4058 times)

Philmar

• Office drone by day - Photoenthusiast on weekends
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/phil_marion/albums
5 full hours (300 minutes) in Tokyo - what to do?
« on: December 26, 2011, 09:38:55 am »

Hmm, asking for advice about Tokyo in a landscape photography forum. I really must respect the great advice I read in this forum!!
Yeah I guess I should spend more time there but I have a 10 hour stop over in Narita on my way home after 5 weeks in SE Asia.
An avid photographer, I'm not one to sit 10 hours in an airport when there's a wealth of interesting images to capture a few hours away. So where would you suggest I go to and from Narita for 5 hours (I don't want to cut my time too close). I imagine I'll have to also find a checked luggage booth as well, clear customs and find an exorbitantly expensive train from the airport which will eat up more of my time.

What part of the city that is photogenic and easily accessed from the airport would you suggest I visit for the small amount of time I have?
I have no preference over street photography or architectural shots.

I thank everyone in advance for their help!!!

degrub

Re: 5 full hours (300 minutes) in Tokyo - what to do?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2011, 11:52:32 pm »

Narita is 15- 30 minutes away, depending on traffic. There is a local train (not the main JR or NEX) from the airport to Narita town. There are also hotel and public buses into Narita. i remember seeing some bag lockers at the airport. You could rent a  room at a local hotel and stuff your bags. There is a kids park (Kuriyama) near the town hall / local train station (not the JR station). Not much, but the cemetery up the hill is an interesting location. There is plenty of street shooting walking through the neighborhoods. There is also the temple complex and museums, a little walk from the train station.

Below is a city map for reference.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2011, 11:59:41 pm by degrub »

Philmar

• Office drone by day - Photoenthusiast on weekends
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/phil_marion/albums
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2011, 12:50:38 am »

thanks degrub - I was more interested in spending a few hours in one neighbourhood in Tokyo. I have 5 hours before my flight so off to the internet!!

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2011, 10:13:07 am »

It takes about one hour by train from Narita to Tokyo station by Narita express, a bit less to Nippori by Skyliner.

You may want to hang around in Akihabara, close to Tokyo station and full of typical Tokyo geek stuff.

Cheers,
Bernard
Pages: [1]   Go Up