Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 35mm lens for canon  (Read 2548 times)

MarkSe

35mm lens for canon
« on: December 22, 2011, 04:08:20 pm »

I use a 5dmkII with 17ts-e and 24ts-e for architectural photography. I would like to buy a 35mm lens too, what can you recommend? It should be sharp and free of distortions and free of CAs!
sadly there are no good 35mm ts-e lenses at the moment...
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 04:12:11 pm by MarkSengstbratl »

Scott Hargis

• Scott Hargis Photo
Re: 35mm lens for canon
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2011, 04:38:14 pm »

Try the 24TS with the new 1.4x extender. Gets you to 33.6mm. Introduces a little bit of barrel distortion, but overall I'm very satisfied with this setup. The extender will cost you almost $500, but that's a steal considering you effectively getting a new TS lens. And it'll work on some of your other lenses, too.

Brian Hirschfeld

• Brian Hirschfeld Photography
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2011, 04:48:57 pm »

Since you are used to manual focus lenses, I would recommend some sort of Zeiss 35mm lens for Cannon. I would expect that the 35mm f/1.4 Distagon stopped down will preform as good as, if not better then the 35mm f/2 Distagon (if you really care about the subtleties, which I am too lazy to look up even though I have an account, go to digloyd and check out his extensive reviews of these two.) They both should be superior to the Canon 35mm f/1.4L which, based on your other lenses, I would assume would be your comparative Cannon choice. The Zeiss 35mm f/2. is quite smaller, if that is any consideration.... also whether you want autofocus or not is kind of a big question there.
www.brianhirschfeldphotography.com / www.flickr.com/brianhirschfeldphotography
---------------------------------------------------------------
Leica / Nikon / Hasselblad / Mamiya ~ Proud IQ180 owner

pfigen

• http://www.peterfigen.com
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2011, 05:23:29 pm »

The lens you're looking for is the Zeiss 35mm 2.8 Shift. No tilt, but a great shift lens. And you'll need a C/Z > EOS lens mount adapter to go with it. The next choice would be the Olympus 35mm 2.8 Shift, which, while not quite as nice a lens as the Zeiss, is about one quarter the price.

MarkSe

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2011, 06:01:03 pm »

thanks I think i will try the 24ts with the 1.4x extender first!

Marlyn

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2011, 06:02:06 pm »

This may sound a bit odd, but.

Try using the 24TS-E with the new 1.4x III teleconverter.

I've only played a little with it myself, but the results are pretty damn good.

Regards

Mark.

PS: Appears I'm blind as this was suggested above :)

DaveCurtis

• http://www.magiclight.co.nz
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2011, 06:56:11 pm »

The Zeiss 35mm f1.4 is a fantastic lens but I haven't tested it for landscapes. Note it has a good dose of field curvature. (see the drop off on it's MTF). 
However this should be minimal when stopped down to f8-11.

The Zeiss 35mm f2 has a flatter field but more CA and is not quite as sharp in the center.

Harold Clark

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2011, 11:24:29 am »

I use a 5dmkII with 17ts-e and 24ts-e for architectural photography. I would like to buy a 35mm lens too, what can you recommend? It should be sharp and free of distortions and free of CAs!

I use the Olympus 35mm shift lens, mine is a Sinaron version which apparently were hand picked by Sinar for an early digital system. It performs very well, not quite as good as the 17 & 24 TSE lenses, but better than the original 24m TSE. There is some CA which is easily removed in post production.

I used to have the Canon 35mm TS lens in film days, I wish Canon would produce a TSE lens in this range. I would like to see a 32mm, which would nicely fill the gap between 24mm & 45mm. ( Maybe they could update the 45 & 90, and make a 65mm TSE too ).

fotometria gr

• www.fotometria.gr
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2011, 04:49:07 pm »

If shift/drop only is enough (no tilting), you may try the old nikkor 35mm f2.8 pc via an adapter, very sharp! Regards, Theodoros. www.fotometria.gr

Dennishh

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2011, 07:51:31 pm »

35 FA Pentax with Zork Shift adapter
Pages: [1]   Go Up