Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fine Art Photography Top 16  (Read 36133 times)

theguywitha645d

Re: Fine Art Photography Top 16
« Reply #80 on: January 10, 2012, 07:44:10 pm »

You are a bee charmer. (And you don't know simple coding.) It seems your only argument is to try offend the messenger. I really was never very impressed with that kind of paternalistic bullying.

The problem with your opinion is the world seems to have a different idea--there are many examples that do not fit your simple model. When your hypothesis does not fit the reality, it is not the reality that is wrong.

John Camp

« Reply #81 on: January 10, 2012, 08:57:28 pm »

<snip> When your hypothesis does not fit the reality, it is not the reality that is wrong.

That's one thing we completely agree on.

Ray

« Reply #82 on: January 12, 2012, 06:40:37 am »

When your hypothesis does not fit the reality, it is not the reality that is wrong.

I'm not so sure about that. To claim that reality is either right or wrong requires an absolutely certain knowledge of what reality is.

What this thread has taught us so far is that no-one appears to really know what even 'art' is, so how the heck can you guys know what reality is!  ;D

Rob C

« Reply #83 on: January 12, 2012, 01:02:22 pm »

I'm not so sure about that. To claim that reality is either right or wrong requires an absolutely certain knowledge of what reality is.

What this thread has taught us so far is that no-one appears to really know what even 'art' is, so how the heck can you guys know what reality is!  ;D

They don't Ray; only I know what it is. Oh, and maybe Eric on a good day. Russ will simply take a quick shot of it and see if it has hands or not...

;- )

Rob C

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #84 on: January 12, 2012, 05:14:46 pm »

They don't Ray; only I know what it is. Oh, and maybe Eric on a good day. Russ will simply take a quick shot of it and see if it has hands or not...

;- )

Rob C
Absolutely. But I'm not always certain when a day is a good one.

Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Isaac

« Reply #85 on: January 12, 2012, 07:22:03 pm »

To claim that reality is either right or wrong requires an absolutely certain knowledge of what reality is.

We can stop well short of that - "it is not the reality that is wrong" because right and wrong are not properties we ascribe to "reality" (whatever that is).

When people speak from the facts of their experience, it shouldn't be too surprising when they disagree - it shouldn't be too surprising that their experience was different and provided them with different facts.

Ray

« Reply #86 on: January 13, 2012, 06:56:53 am »

We can stop well short of that - "it is not the reality that is wrong" because right and wrong are not properties we ascribe to "reality" (whatever that is).

When people speak from the facts of their experience, it shouldn't be too surprising when they disagree - it shouldn't be too surprising that their experience was different and provided them with different facts.

Okay! I'll rephrase that for you. "To claim that a perception of reality is right or wrong requires an absolutely certain knowledge of what reality is."

Isaac

« Reply #87 on: January 13, 2012, 03:24:33 pm »

Okay! I'll rephrase that for you.

Was I being too literal, too pedantic?

Seems to me that you've chosen a very literal reading of - "When your hypothesis does not fit the reality, it is not the reality that is wrong." - and then switched context away from a quarrel about how the phrase "Fine Art Photography" has been used and should be used.

I don't think the quarrel, or that statement, was about the ultimate nature of reality.

So if we're going to rephrase their words, let's do so in a way that might shed light on why there's a quarrel, and what's stopping the quarrel being an argument - When your hypothesis does not fit [my] reality, it is not [my] reality that is wrong.

(But if you wish to pursue the philosophy seminar: note that logically we can make false claims, and note that perceptions can be contradicted by other perceptions without "absolutely certain knowledge of what reality is".)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 03:33:52 pm by Isaac »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up