Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone printing on Canon Artistic Satin Canvas?  (Read 7897 times)

Johnny_Boy

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 133
Anyone printing on Canon Artistic Satin Canvas?
« on: December 21, 2011, 03:52:42 am »

I am pretty new to this printing business  ??? with my Canon ipf 8300.

I have a roll of Canon Artistic Satin Canvas, and so far with the canon profile, it does not print very well at all. When I used the "Perceptual" color intention rather than "relative color...", then it came out OK, but overall it is still too dark and too saturated.

I decided to try out the Hahnemule Goya Canvas (Satin) profile, and it prints much better. It has a slight red tint to it, but overall very close to my regular photo paper prints.

Any suggestions on how to print the best on this particular Canvas? Anyone knows who manufactures it?
Logged

Landscapes

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 267
Re: Anyone printing on Canon Artistic Satin Canvas?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2011, 11:02:38 pm »

I had been using the Water Resistant line of Canon's canvas, and just had a custom profile made for it.  It cost me $25 from Inkjetart.com which is super cheap and it was indeed quite nice.  Can't really compare to other profiles or even other canvases, but the custom profile was way closer than using any other paper choices and trying to do spot adjustments.  I was only a bit dissapointed that shadow detail just wasn't there, but this was a result of the canvas, not profile.  So I say head over to the website, download the targets for the thick media and send them off.  When you get your profile emailed, your troubles will be over.
Logged

Peter McLennan

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 4692
Re: Anyone printing on Canon Artistic Satin Canvas?
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2011, 11:06:22 pm »

I concur with the recommendation for inkjetart profiles.  I just had two made.  Prompt service, reasonable pricing, quality results.
Logged

Johnny_Boy

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 133
Re: Anyone printing on Canon Artistic Satin Canvas?
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2011, 03:43:36 am »

Thanks for the links! OK, I will give them a try.  The price seems very reasonable .

BTW, for canvas, did you coat it with the lacquer before you sent in for the profile, or did you send it in without the lacquer coat.
Logged

Landscapes

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 267
Re: Anyone printing on Canon Artistic Satin Canvas?
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2011, 04:35:55 am »

For my roll of Fine Art Water Resistant Canvas, I found there was a pretty big difference between coated and uncoated canvas, so for sure coat.  But for the new stuff I'm using, coating doesn't change it as much.  I would of course still coat as I'm not sure how much abrasion damage the color reader might do to the targets you send in as the device is dragged across the canvas, and the profile will probably be that much better as well if it is reading the colors the way you see them after the canvas is coated.
Logged

Peter McLennan

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 4692
Re: Anyone printing on Canon Artistic Satin Canvas?
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2011, 12:03:29 pm »

BTW, for canvas, did you coat it with the lacquer before you sent in for the profile, or did you send it in without the lacquer coat.

The profile sample of canvas was sent with no coating applied.
Logged

Johnny_Boy

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 133
Re: Anyone printing on Canon Artistic Satin Canvas?
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2011, 05:21:05 pm »

OK, so I got the profile done via inkjetart folks. The turn around was fast and the price is very reasonable. It basically looks the same as the Hahnemhule Goya profile, except it removed the slight pinkish tint that I had. Perfect.

It looks like Goya canvas was used to be called Satin Canvas, and I think Canon Artistic Satin Canvas (it says Made in Switzerland) is the same canvas. Funny thing is I can't find any US distributor of Goya Canvas. Looking at the profile data on ColorThink it looks like Epson Premium Satin Canvas might possibly be the same canvas as well. I might just purchase whichever is cheaper moving forward.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 05:24:18 pm by Johnny_Boy »
Logged

bill t.

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3011
    • http://www.unit16.net
Re: Anyone printing on Canon Artistic Satin Canvas?
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2011, 07:08:41 pm »

In my case I have had much better results with profiles made from non-coated canvas.  Maybe it's a reflectivity thing but for whatever reason the profiles I have made from coated canvas have seemed a little strange.  With the coated profiles the available max D comes up short, tonal separation in the darks closes up, and overall color fidelity suffers.  My old Spyder Print puck had trouble reading dark patches, and possibly because coating darkened  some colors below a readable threshold the total gamut was smaller from the coated profiles.  But that was also the case from the custom commercial profiles.

In regards the red bias mentioned by the OP, I have seen that tendency in most of the canvases I have used.  Looking at various canvas gamut balloons they generally have a lot more gamut volume over on the warm side than on the cool side.  Cool colors "come through" less articulated than the warm ones.
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up