Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hahnemuehle Preset Killed My z3100 79:04  (Read 3443 times)

William Chitham

Hahnemuehle Preset Killed My z3100 79:04
« on: December 07, 2011, 02:09:26 pm »

Great excitement yesterday as I took delivery of a roll of Hahnemuehle Fine Art Pearl. Great misery when I uploaded the paper preset oms file to the printer and killed it. The upload went ok but the printer came up with a 79:04 error on restart and no amount of switching on and off seems to be helping. The details of the error accessible from the front panel reveal that the problem is caused by a missing file in the preset. HP's tech help guy talked me through a firmware reinstall via a command prompt but though it copied across ok the printer showed no sign of recognizing it. Still waiting for a call back from HP but looks like a new formatter is the only solution - at £900 odd an expensive way to solve what is essentially a software problem.
I can start the printer in Diagnostic mode but that is no help - I have heard there is a manufacturing mode but don't know the buttons to get to that.
Any thoughts anyone? Anyone else had problems with Hahnemuehle presets?
William.

Thomas Krüger

• http://thomaskrueger.eu
Re: Hahnemuehle Preset Killed My z3100 79:04
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011, 03:22:56 pm »

You can get the service manual from the first link: http://z3100users.wikispaces.com/Z3100+docs

The solution for 79:04 would be to upgrade the firmware - what you have done.

tonywong

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2011, 05:19:28 pm »

I went through something similar to this more than a year ago. What I think happens is that there is file system damage to directory structure of the hard disk, then subsequent uploading of something will overwrite a critical file.

Since the firmware is really just an operating system for the HP, directory damage can render the printer inoperable. I tried recovering the hard disk but it looks like the HP's formatting isn't fully ATA compliant, so it was locked down enough where standard recovery tools didn't work.

I wound up getting a refurbished formatter for around ~400 which did the trick, but I never did get around to imaging/backing up the formatter.

Thomas Krüger

• http://thomaskrueger.eu
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2011, 06:12:07 am »

Is it possible to backup the partition of the formatter hard disk? There is no info in the service manual.

tonywong

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2011, 02:11:41 pm »

I couldn't even get the system to recognize the existence of the hard disk, so there is a special firmware to make it load on the printer, I'd guess.

The only thing I can think of is to try a raw disk reader to clone the drive, but you'd have to clone it to another drive of the same firmware and type in order to get it to work. No idea if you can image it or not but someone with raw sector hard disk experience should probably be able to figure it out.

William Chitham

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2011, 04:35:11 am »

..What I think happens is that there is file system damage to directory structure of the hard disk, then subsequent uploading of something will overwrite a critical file. Since the firmware is really just an operating system for the HP, directory damage can render the printer inoperable....

I think this is exactly right. My printer will tell me in detail what is wrong with it and it will start up in Diagnostic Mode but there is no way to actually fix it. I spent a long time talking to an HP tech who sent me a special version of the firmware and talked me through the process of uploading to the printer via a command prompt but no joy - my impression is that it was simply copied to the hard drive but the printer was unaware of it and unable to initiate the normal firmware checking and installing routine. He said that if the printer would boot up to the ready state then it would be quite straightforward to dig out the offending files but not in the diagnostic state so it's your classic catch 22 - you can't fix it because it isn't working.

I am now awaiting delivery of a secondhand formatter - if that doesn't work £1200 for a fixed price repair from HP looks the best bet.

And now my coffee's gone cold - following HP practice I'll have to bin the mug as well.

tonywong

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2011, 10:12:28 am »

My second hand formatter worked fine, although the spectro wouldn't report as being working properly in the diagnostic. Turns out more people have that problem on this forum without having replaced the formatter so I chalk that up to more standard HP weirdness. I never did a full diagnostic when my original formatter worked so I assume the spectro was always like that (after reading the forums).

FYI, the 24" formatter works identically in the 44", so pulling one from a 24" acts the same as throwing in a refurb or new HD for the 44". I just made sure they were the same type (PS GP model).

JohnHeerema

• Dr. John Heerema
    • http://www.heerema.ca
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2011, 11:34:33 am »

Starting with the disclaimer that I don't know a thing about HP large-format printers, the problem description sounds like a hard disk directory structure error - in which case, is there any reason why you couldn't just put in a properly formatted hard disk? Even if the directory structure is proprietary, you may find that a sector-level copy could be used to make a disk clone from a working disk.

Or again, I might be right off track - if this is the problem, I'd expect the HP tech folks to have just suggested a replacement drive, instead of the whole formatter, if it's at all possible to get the disk out.

Mark Potter

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2011, 02:23:51 pm »

I am now awaiting delivery of a secondhand formatter - if that doesn't work £1200 for a fixed price repair from HP looks the best bet.

Where did you locate a Secondhand formatter board? I am in dire need of one for my 24" Z3100

Rocco Penny

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2011, 09:33:46 am »

Everprint in California

William Chitham

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2011, 01:05:22 pm »

Well, I'm back in business. I tried a secondhand formatter loaned by an extremely helpful supplier but it was from a different model (non ps) and despite numerous attempts I couldn't get the printer to start up and remain stable enough to reinstall the firmware. I could have bought a new formatter for £650 ex vat but in the end I went for an HP instant repair at £870 for a guaranteed fix inside 3 days and 3 months warranty thrown in. Ordered on Friday, the engineer arrived first thing this morning with a new formatter which solved the problem, however, the printer decided it needed a head reinstall and purge which used over 100 ml of ink and necessitated a trip out for a new yellow cartridge. All the usage information has been lost which is a shame and I am now beginning the laborious process of recreating all my custom paper presets.

Incidentally, the engineer confirmed that it is very common for these machines to fail the ESP diagnostic test but couldn't say why.
Pages: [1]   Go Up