Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 4900 "Media Type" Field for non Epson Papers  (Read 3316 times)

HowieShultz

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 11
Epson 4900 "Media Type" Field for non Epson Papers
« on: December 06, 2011, 11:52:44 am »

I am a newbie and just getting into printing.  When I am trying to make a print on my Epson 4900 using a non Epson paper, the print driver requires me to fill in the "Media Type" field and my only selection choices are for Epson papers.  So I was wondering if there is some kind of cheat sheet or conversion table etc. that will tell you if you are using "X non epson paper" then select "Y Epson media type"  So for instance if I am using the Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Ultra Smooth then I should select the "Ultra Smooth Fine Art Paper" under "Media Type"   OR do I just take my non-epson paper and simply make the best guess under the "Media Type" field as to what Epson paper it would most closely approximate...and if so what specific criteria should I be focused upon when making this decision?  thickness, gsm, finish etc?
 
Logged

afx

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 89
    • AFXImages
Re: Epson 4900 "Media Type" Field for non Epson Papers
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2011, 12:20:10 pm »

The paper manufacturer usually has recommendations for the media type setting. Quite often they are downloadable together with the ICC profiles.
Unfortunately, Epson uses regionally different names for their papers, so you might not find the recommended name in the available list (been running into that with Museo papers, that have recommendations based on the US driver of the R3000 which are different from the ones available in Europe), in that case a mail to the manufacturer might help.

cheers
afx

howardm

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1984
Re: Epson 4900 "Media Type" Field for non Epson Papers
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2011, 12:28:02 pm »

when you go the Hahn. website to download the profile, you will want to download the 'Handling Instructions' document too.  That document contains the information you seek (ie. which Epson paper should you select in the print driver whhen using that Hahn paper)

Their website generates a .zip file w/ the information (instructions and profile)

Alan Goldhammer

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 4349
    • A Goldhammer Photography
Re: Epson 4900 "Media Type" Field for non Epson Papers
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2011, 01:49:26 pm »

I believe Hahnemuhle uses the Velvet Fine Art setting for all their matte papers and it's been my experience that all other matte fine art papers work fine with this setting as well when I do my own profiles.
Logged

Brian Gilkes

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 443
    • http://www.briangilkes.com.au
Re: Epson 4900 "Media Type" Field for non Epson Papers
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2011, 03:11:34 pm »

I agree with Alan.
I'm getting best results from matte (mainly Canson and Awagami) with Velvet Fine Art, 2880 dpi and single pass (high speed off).With most papers around 300 gsm  set platen height to "wide".
Logged

Jan Morales

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 76
    • Jan Morales Photography
Re: Epson 4900 "Media Type" Field for non Epson Papers
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2011, 03:14:12 pm »

Just to help me understand: What does media type control? Paper thickness? The way ink is laid on the paper? I'm curious.
Logged

Richowens

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 977
Re: Epson 4900 "Media Type" Field for non Epson Papers
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2011, 04:22:07 pm »

The amount of ink.
More for glossy to less for matt.
Rich
Logged

howardm

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1984
Re: Epson 4900 "Media Type" Field for non Epson Papers
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2011, 04:25:13 pm »

and preferred paper paths and whatever else that is not ICC profile related.

Alan Goldhammer

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 4349
    • A Goldhammer Photography
Re: Epson 4900 "Media Type" Field for non Epson Papers
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2011, 05:58:22 pm »

Just to help me understand: What does media type control? Paper thickness? The way ink is laid on the paper? I'm curious.
It actually controls the paper thickness and drying times as well.  It also suggests which feed path to use in the case of those printers that do not use roll paper.  Remember this is based on Epson papers and you will have to look at the paper thickness setting and in most cases adjust it for the third party paper you are using.  See THIS by one of our forum contributors, Scott Martin, on selecting the right settings for third party papers.
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up