Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Making profile for Epson's ABW  (Read 1950 times)

walter.sk

Making profile for Epson's ABW
« on: December 01, 2011, 10:46:33 am »

I have a Colormunki and have made several apparently decent profiles for 3rd party papers and my Epson 4900.  I would like to have a go at making a profile for the ABW mode for grayscale images.  I know Eric Chan has been making and selling them but I would like to try it.  Would it be possible using the Colormunki and Colormunki software?  If so, what would be the procedure?

If not, could the Colormunki be used with B&W images to improve the RGB profile I would send to the printer with Photoshop-managed color?

I have just edited this to add:  My OS is Win7, 64 bit.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 10:56:33 am by walter.sk »

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
Re: Making profile for Epson's ABW
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 01:55:10 pm »

Yes you can use CM to create an ABW profile using Roy Harrington's QTR program.  You can print out a 21 (or 51) step grey scale using the ArgyllCMS system to print and read the patches and then drop the readings into QTR to prepare the profiles.  In effect you are smoothing out any bumps in the grey scale and at the same time creating a profile that can be used for soft proofing.  You cannot use CM software to do this as it's not designed for that purpose.

walter.sk

Re: Making profile for Epson's ABW
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 03:54:30 pm »

Thanks, Alan.  I downloaded the QTRIP, and it looks to be within my capabilities to learn. I looked at Argyll once before and it seemed beyond me, but I will take another look at it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up